Do you play with a metronome during a gig?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:31 am

Do you play with a metronome during a gig? If yes what do you use to get the 'click' loud enough?
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Timekeep69

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:47 am

No. My playing becomes too mechanical when I play to a click.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:11 am

I only use a click when I'm in the studio, never when I play live.
ImageImageImage
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:33 am

I use metronome during my home practice and during rehearsals. Haven't used it during a gig yet
dim my eyes if they should compromise
bunnybunny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:21 am

I must admit I don't play with a metronome during gigs... high time to change it though
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
SKPScott
new
new

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:35 am

I can't play to a metronome at all. Not even in the studio. We play too off time and it would be to much of a pain in the ass to map out of the different time signatures in a 5 mins song. lol.

I suck I know. lol.

-Scott
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:12 am

well the music that I'm playing is just simple straightforward 4/4 so I don't have a problem with odd time ;] and I have to play because of all the adrenaline I tend to start the songs at a way too high tempo and then the guitarist always gives me that "I'll kill you" look ;)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
tezperez
new
new

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:08 am

Playing with a click live is brilliant, I use a cheapy little 4 track berhinger mixer for my headphone amp, have used smaller pm amps but found you have more room to mix your own monitors with a little desk, Best thing to do is buy yourself some really good headphones like shure Ec2 thats what i use, i could put a click on without an amplifier and still hear it using these! Money well spent!
Found
tamadrumboy
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:07 pm

My students and I love the TAMA Rhythm Watch to death, for practice purposes only though.
For band rehearsals I set the metronome to the proper bpm so everyone in the band gets used to playing at the correct speed then after a couple of run throughs we all just feel the beat.
I think it would be way too mechanical to use it live plus we extent the shit out of parts and improv some stuff so it would probably be a pain in the ass to follow the click through those parts.
Saturday, October 14th @ Desiderio's w/ "Vertigo".
Nicholas Plant
http://www.nicholasdrums.com
http://www.myspace.com/nicholasplant
free beer
new
new

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:34 am

Never live, we use flexitime :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roland TD12 (expanded) V Drums - dB Technologies Opera 415M stage monitor........Gigs through FOH - PA
Capeside Alex
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:56 am

I use one live all the time! I use the Yamaha Click Station. Does great!
Music is life...
...Life is Music.

CAPESIDE
m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:23 pm

we've used a click when we perform our live soundtrack for the film Nosferatu; it's very helpful when we can't see each other onstage in the dark and it keeps us locked in for visual cues.

Even if you're using a click, you can push and pull against it to keep it feeling 'human.' Takes a little practice, but I think everyone would benefit from being able to play to a click. Most studio situations will require it.

When performing to a click, we use in-ear monitors and the signal is sent from the main board.
GeorgeD311
new
new

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:24 pm

Yes. I use a Tama Rhythm Watch every single time I play. I have a guitar player that uses a lot of rhythmic delays and effects. I don't have to hear him to know that we're locked. It also provides a great way to make sure that the songs are the same speed live as they are on the record. Doing that makes editing video very easy.

In order to get the volume at a level that I can hear it above all the noise on stage, I use the Rhythm Watch plugged into a Samson S-Amp headphone amplifier and then I use a pair of Shure in-ear monitors to block out most of the stage volume. I have to be perfect every night because I can rarely hear anything besides my drums and some of the vocals.
Pearl Session Custom (22, 10, 14)
Ludwig Black Beauty Supraphonic (5 1/2X14)
Tama Hardware
Paiste Cymbals
www.myspace.com/mothmeetsmachine
www.myspace.com/tripside
steveoverise
new
new

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:35 am

yes i have a yamaha click station and i run it through my wireless in ear moniotor... i can hear my bass and lead through the one channel then i have the click through the second channel. turn down channel one with your instruments and turn up the click. works great. If you are having a hard time playing smoothly or becomming to ridged turn on the subdivision it helps alot.

www.myspace.com/overise
www.myspace.com/steveoverise
drummer_dude9164
new
new

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:59 pm

i dont use a click live, because i think it sort of ruins the atmosphere(for rock, metal, punk, or anything fast) at (fast) shows, everything is supposed to be crazy and i think the faster tempo really adds to it. however for slower things, a click would be a good idea, so u can really lock in the groove