Singing Drummers, Anyone?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Trash
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:50 am

Levon Helm from The Band was an awesome (lead!) singing drummer. As someone who has been a lead singing drummer, the only thing harder is being a lead singing bassist (which I have been as well).
trowa012000
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:40 pm

Fred LeBlanc from Cowboy Mouth. He does lead vocals and he puts on an awesome show. Check um out. Much better than Genisis.
So many drums, So little time.
DrummerDoug
new
new

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:37 am

I did all the clean singing in my last band. I still do a lot of the gutteral screaming in my current band. I found that using a headset mic , instead of a boom stand is waaaaay easier. You can keep looking forward when you sing. In my case the guys in the band razzed me and called it my britney spears mic. So that sucked...always gotta talk shit:)
Scogar
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:27 pm

I'm a fan of Aaron Gillespie (UnderOATH), Phil Collins (Genesis), and myself.....lol

I respect drummers who can sing well and play well at the same time. Its not as easy as the great ones make it look sometimes.
Drums ARE my life.
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:31 pm

i sing backing vocals / some lead in two of my three bands. i enjoy singing back ground vocal type stuff, but i'm not a fan of singing lead stuff. it compromises my playing too much.
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:15 pm

Shalaq wrote:Grand Funk Railroad.

Hell yeah...Don Freakin Brewer! And let's not forget Levon Helm from The Band.

I also sing harmony in my band.
yee freakin' haw
killdrum1983
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:26 am

i sing the backing vocals in my band. I didn't want to sing before cause i wanted to be concentrated on my play so that i don't screw up lol. But my voice and my singer's voice match sooo good that i decided to sing too while i'm playing. I used to sing when i was playing guitar before...
stump

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:38 am

Kudos on playing and singing at the same time. You possess a great talent. Check out a band called Cowboy Mouth. Their drummer does all of the vocals and puts on one hell of a show!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

Joezeppi
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:59 pm

I have been toying with the idea of providing back up harmonizing vocals in my band. What do you suggest as far as a mic set up? Any headsets that you would recommend?
stump

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:55 pm

Joezeppi wrote:I have been toying with the idea of providing back up harmonizing vocals in my band. What do you suggest as far as a mic set up? Any headsets that you would recommend?

Depends on how much you want to spend. Shure and Crown make nice headset mics. The Shure SM10A-CN will run about $150-$200 and the Crown CM-311A Around $250. You can get them cheaper at music distributors like musiciansfriend.com. Audio-technica makes one for around $100 if you just want something to try your hand at it with. Good luck!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:00 am

Doesn't the drummer from Flogging Molly sing as well? And let's not forget Ringo!

As far as headset mics are concerned.....Did anyone see the Police show and tour announcement on TV? Stewart Copeland used a headset mic (don't know what type but I'm sure he can afford a good one). It wasn't noticeable while they were playing, but when he was just talking through it it sounded like ass. Really thin sounding.

So what I do is use a mic stand with a boom arm and a gooseneck attatchment. I put it behind my throne, raise it up and swing the boom over my shoulder. Then I adjust the gooseneck so its in front of my face, but just off to my left so i can get away from it when not singing (don't wanna hear me breathing through it).

Some people don't like having to adjust their position to sing, but I'd rather do that than look/sound like an 80s hairband jackass or a Britney spears wannabee.
yee freakin' haw
Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:08 pm

I do all the backing vocals in my band I took vocal lessons for a while becouse I used to sing and play guitar and too me if you take lessons for instrument why not take lessons for vocals which is an instrument too that you need to learn to control. I love to sing and I love to play at the same time.
blackreign
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:42 pm

Me and my buddy jam to some grindcore covers and I do all the singing... er growling...
-Im a happy drummer I can bang all day-
ChrisNichols
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Yeah, for sure. I do backing vocals, and sometime I take the lead for a song. Though if I'm gunna sing lead, I lay off the complex fills at the same time. I can do fairly complex grooves at the same time as singing, but only simple fills.

But a great drummer who can sing at the same time is definitely Roger Taylor from Queen. One of the reasons I respect him so much.
This could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire.
SeanGordon
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:35 pm

Well an oldie would be Tommy Tutone (You know 8675309 Jenny) He
sang all their stuff.

Mike Portnoy not only Writes most of Dream Theater's Lyrics he also Sings alot of Back ups and Some lead Vocal Parts.

If I am not mistaken, Mick Fleetwood also sings in Fleetwood Mac

I myself do it from time to time. I had to sing & play "Cult of Personality" by Living Colour when our singer lost his voice the song before the Encore.
Thats was a chore since singing the song alone is hard and requires a lot of proper breathing along with the samples and we sped up the BPMs a little and I play a little more forward groove in it than Calhoun. By far the most challenging thing I have had to endure but it was a Success.