Singing Drummers, Anyone?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

clay_wise
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:51 am

I do a lot of singing in my band, and I'm curious who else does? Got any tips, advice, experience? Plus who has opinions on popular bands with singing drummers (Eagles, Genesis, 3 Doors Down, etc...)?
Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:55 am

I don't sing myself, but I think drummer from Die Arzte does sing!
Tama drums!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:32 am

Grand Funk Railroad.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
prog_drummer_77
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:45 am

in my last band, i did all of the singing because i was the only one who had a good sense of pitch haha. i don't have a great voice but i can hit notes. there is a band called Bubblemath and their drummer does some singing, and also, Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater does a lot of back-up vocals as well!

btw, i've experienced that for me...if i am singing the whole song, then my crowd interaction and my visual in playing isn't nearly as good as when i don't have to worry about singing while playing at the same time...i would just rather sing during vocal harmonies and play the rest of the time!

also, go to www.myspace.com/bubblemath to check those guys out...kind of jazzy/prog rock/experimental....they are different and i like that!
Joshua "Cornbread" Hughes
in regards to myself
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:49 pm

two great dummers that sing r the drummers of from autumn to ashes and underoath
I saw Jesus on the beach
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:02 pm

i have enough trouble just playing the drums,much less singing :D
but genesis is one of my alltime favorites!!!!
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:58 pm

Before i got really serious in drumming i sang. so i do all the back-up vocals in my bands.
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm
:-)
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:39 am

I think it's an asset to your playing to be able to sing as well. Where I'm at, a singing drummer is a definite bonus. If you are looking for work and a band knows you can sing, that's a really good thing. Even if it is just back-up vocs, the voice is an instrument that comes in handy. I had to sing a lot in the old band and even do some rap. I'm glad I had to because that made me more musical, forced me to listen, and thus made me a better player. Good Topic!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
screamkevin

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:37 am

Don't listen to Rob, he can't sing. ROTFL, Hi Rob!!
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
drumbot
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:07 am

I do back ups all the time and love it, some of it is leading at times. It does take work. But it sucks when you realize you're a better singer than the vocalist you're working with, it's like what the fuck, do I have to do everything.
if it sounds good it is good
totoole26
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:45 am

Not too many singers play the drums at the same time or vice versa. I always thought the reason for this was it is really hard to get a mic stand angled right to stay out of your way. but hey thanks to modern technology, you can simply wear a head mic and strap it on around your ears. When I was playing guitar for other bands I used to think drummers were lazy when it came to singing but I have totally changed my mind. There is enough to keep up with let alone have to remember song lyrics.
rockstark
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:50 am

Great topic... I am a singing drummer.

I find that being a singing drummer has lots of benefits, especially in harmonies for the band. A band that can harmonize well can go very far.

However, the stigma in the music "business" is that a band with a lead vocalist / drummer is not appealing and is not viewed as "marketable". I have been told on several occasions that there is not enough faith that a frontman drummer can entertain the crowd like a frontman that runs all over the place. They like to see movement.

A few notables are Don Henley; Fred Leblanc from Cowboy Mouth; Chris Cornell from 1984's version of Soundgarden (had to move out front though); Kelly Keagy from Night Ranger (not a fan of their music that much though);

It is a task to sing and play drums for 4 hours though.... good excercise.

While my time as a drummer spans 35 yrs, 21 of those have also been in lead vocals. Check out my myspace site if you get a chance. http://www.myspace.com/rockstark66
Mapex Saturn Pro
Zildjian and Sabian cymbals
DW Hardware
Evans Heads
Vater Fatback 3B sticks
Sennheiser and Shure mics
Shure in ear monitors

http://www.myspace.com/rockstark66
Drummer333lv
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:00 am

in regards to myself wrote:two great dummers that sing r the drummers of from autumn to ashes and underoath

Yeah Underoath...but i have to say atreyu instead of from autumn to ashes :D
Travis Barker is the shit and your gay :)

Talk to me ... www.myspace.com/Drummer333lv
TheAlmost0
new
new

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:13 am

in regards to myself wrote:two great dummers that sing r the drummers of from autumn to ashes and underoath

the drummer from underoath is Aaron gillespie hes awesomoe
screamkevin

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:19 am

One other tip that I can offer: buy a Cough Drop. It's a great foot-operated switchbox from ProCo that interrupts your mic feed so you can clear your throat as need be. And they are only about 75 bucks US.

You can find one here:

http://www.procosound.com/tradetoolsindex.htm#isolation

Scroll down about halfway and you'll see it. They have several types, including regular on/off, and continuous pressure. They are a MUST for any singing drummer. I have one and swear by it.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.