21" ride
13"hats
Drumming is my passion.
Recording is a habit.

R.I.P Mitch Mitchell
SGarrett

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:55 pm

All Sabian.

13" HHX Stage Hats: These little guys bark when open, have great stick definition closed, and a slightly higher pitch than 14" hats so they cut a little better even with the darker HHX sound.

16" AAX-Plosion: Very responsive and versatile crash. I used to work in a drum shop with a very large cymbal selection and I tested this against almost every other cymbal on the market at the time, about five years ago. It sings no matter how hard you hit it and has a great bell. It's my first choice for quieter passages and sometimes an over-sized splash for hard-rock.

18" AAX Metal Crash: Loud, cutting, and my "hit it really f'n hard" cymbal. It doesn't speak with a light touch, it likes it rough and I like to give it what it wants.

19" AAX-Plosion: My first choice for when a big crash is needed and great source of white noise when used as a ride in hard-rock/metal. Much like the 16" it speaks with even light pressure and has a great bell.

21" AA Rock Ride: Extremely versatile ride with great stick definition, just enough wash that never gets out of control or overpowers the stick definition, cutting bell, and sounds good when crashed.

I started with the 16" and hand picked the rest around it. Which brings up a slightly unrelated point. When you buy a new cymbal, always take one of your existing cymbals with you for comparison because things change when you get a new cymbal home.
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:54 pm

check out my 20's, yeah that's right 20 inches cause it's the standard and the cheapest i bought
grind-jazz-whore
new
new

Post Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:11 pm

i play 14 and 18 crash 20 ride 18 china.

but i go for a jungle sound.
realy ambient tone
if neil peart is the professor.
than jo jo mayor must head the board of Education.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:18 am

For hi-hats, I prefer 13" over 14", because they are much easier for me to control when it comes to doing a lot of slurs and two handed stuff.

For crashes, I am going to add three more Paiste New Signature Dark Energy to the one I have now, which is a 17". So the sizes will be 16", 17", 18" and 19". The reason for that is simply the fact that I love the sound and response of the entire line, I simply want different sizes to get different pitch intervals. It took me a while to decide if I wanted the 19" or the 20" instead. I finally decided that the 20" was too big of a drop in pitch from the 18" for my liking, so I'm going with the 19".

My ride is a 22" AA Heavy Sabian. I picked up this ride because it sounds identical to Neil Peart's old ride that came from the factory in New Brunswick before it became a Sabian factory. I admit it is the one sound I really wanted and had to cop from someone else. His ride just sounded awesome to me, and this one I have nails the sound. I'm going to add another darker sounding ride for other things this one can't do though. So I guess that's why I picked the size for that one. It one by default after nailing the sound I wanted.

I wasn't THAT particular about the sound of the splashes I wanted, so I went with the 10" and 8" Paragon splashes, simply because I could get them all cheaper in the Efffects pack with the Paragon 19" Chinese, and I do like them enough to enjoy hitting them. It's the best Chinese I've ever heard in my opinion. I do love the sound of a 6" splash though, so I will probably be ordering one of those as well, more than likely a Zildjian A Custom because it's really glassy sounding.

The one other cymbal I really want and will probably by next is a Paiste 20" Traditionals Swish with rivets. I picked this size over the 22" swish because it is not as over bearing, and it sounds more electric and sizzly. Very smooth but still trashy sound when riding it.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Devindrummer12
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:44 am

I reallllly like my dads drum set because of his sizes, hes got 12" hats, 14" and 16" crashes, 20" ride(well thats my size too but still) 7" and 9" zilbells, 14" china. Plus they're all Zildjian Avedis.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:15 pm

i like a bigger ride (22"-24"), no crashes smaller than 15" and no larger than 20". smaller effect cymbals and 13" or 14" hi-hats
Beat on.
galgano16
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:00 pm

i like and use bigger sizes 4 all cymbals, like 22 and 24 inch rides with 19 and 20 inch crashes, 20 and 22 inch chinas with 15 hats and 12 inch splashes, i just like bigger sound outta everything, all my drums are also very deep in size also
Ignorance is a clear indication of a severe lack of intelligence-me
METAL 4EVER!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/ngkillsu
http://www.myspace.com/zombiesforgore
http://www.myspace.com/deception102