Warming up

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Do you warm up before a gig?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 60
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:12 pm

Quick and to the point- do you warm up? And if yes, then post your methods.
I always warm up with paradiddles and LrrLrLrr etc patterns. I also do short spurts of fast single strokes and that's about it. I don't warm my feet, because I don't play any crazy or very quick patterns.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
AMTJake
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:57 pm

I do a lot of paradiddles, sixteenth accent patterns, switchoff doing eigths on one hand and triplets on the other, double stroke rolls, and slowed down blast beats.

I also tap my feet to 8th's, 16th's, and triplets while doing these....I warmup for a good 20-30 min before I go on if I have the time. But I always keep it relaxed and never push myself at all while doing this.
stevo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:25 pm

i try playing as fast as possible so all of the cramps and things that go wrong, go wrong before the show starts. after that, i just practice anything tough im playing for the night untill the show starts
hey whats up guys im doug.....FUCK!!!!!
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:05 pm

DO warm-ups... I never have the chance to warm-up properly before a gig and that is propably why I've found a ganglion cyst on my right wrist :(
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Mr. Pants
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:35 am

This is my favorite warm-up as well as a cool rhythm!

RRR LLL RR LL R L RR LL --than repeat! All of these are even 16th notes.
http://www.myspace.com/casanatrampls

20" Hi-Hats are nothing to be ashamed of...
The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:55 pm

I warm up basically because im a conditioning freak. I do 2-5 miles with sprints and such. So what ever... usally after doing this my hands shake for the rest of the day or so untill i can really relax. Since im always nervous before my gigs i play constantly untill i can get in my comfort zone, gain confidence and that somehow helps me rreeeeeelaxxxx.
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm
:-)
TheLividCreature
new
new

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:55 am

I just do basic stretching before rehearsal and a show. I like to feel loose, but not fatigued. Occasionally I will break out a practice pad and practice some rudiments, but for the most part, I enjoy stertching and a cold beer before a gig :o)
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:20 pm

I stretch out my legs and hit the pad. I feel the proper way to warm up is to work the hands at a comfortable pace over a 10-20 minute period of time. If you go fast, you'll just hurt yourself. The idea of warming up is to loosen up the muscles in your wrists or feet to relax when playing. A lot of times if you don't warm up and just jump into it, you'll feel tense at first or just not comfortable. I think warming up is essential, especially if you play a lot and play hard songs.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
soliddrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:46 pm

I think it all depends on how much you've been playing beforehand. If I've been playing a lot that week, I won't need to warm up. Usually what I'll do is while I'm sitting there on the drumkit waiting for the band to show up/soundcheck I'll do rudiments on my knees. I find that sometimes warming up too much can be detrimental to my playing. It's good to at least do some fast rudiments though.
Skill tempered with relevance and simplicity.
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:58 pm

I like to get a stool with a soft top and beat the hell out of it as hard and fast as I can - it makes it feel so much lighter when you come to real drums. That coupled with around 15 mins of messing on my practice pad and I'm ready for the off :)
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
sticksNhands
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:51 am

I take into consideration three things when I warm up....call them stages if you will:

1: Warm up for speed
2: Warm up for rhythm
3: Warm up for your set

Warming up for speed means finding the ways to make your wrists, forarms, legs, ankles and hands all loosen up. for me it means steatching and then starting slow in rhythm and working to my fastest possible and back down again multiple times. For others this may means staying at a medium tempo.

Warming up for rhythm is a psychological thing. I start....in time...with a measure of quater notes, to a measure of eighths, to eighth note triplets, to sixteenth notes, to sixteenth note triplets and back down again. this helps me prepare my subdivision while staying metronomic.

Warming up your set is also a psychological deal. Go through your songs in your head before you get on stage..... know your breaks, stabs, and fills before the fact. In order to play like a machine (which happens to be a drummer's primary job, to keep time) you have to take the guess work out of your playing. As soon as you have to "think" about what you're going to play next, you fall out of time.
"Build a shining city on top of a hill"
AugustHouseDrums
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:03 pm

I stretch a lot. To warm up I will find a padded stool or a couch or even my throne to warm up on, it makes the sticks feel lighter when I get behind the kit. I usually do a combination of double srtokes, paradiddles, swiss triplets and fast 32nd notes to warm up. Just to get the blood flowing and loosen up a little bit.
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:25 pm

if possible I start my warmup two hours before with very light play for about half an hour then about a half hour before performance I go through the rudiments with my hands and feet and then start cranking up the speed and strength I use with playing until my limbs are at that point where I'm as fluid as I'm going to be and stop to save my energy. If this isn't possible I try to at least gets the hands warmed up on a practice pad and do some streching and exercise so my body is loose but not worn out.
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
huijibo
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:37 am

Yeah definatly, its a must.
Usually just play some stuff that gets the body moving.
Triplets and parradiddles around the kit are usually quite nice.
I dont play many insane foot patterns so a little bit on them basically but if i do its usually the same as with the hand (parradiddles and some triplets)
Dont be n00b
laterZZ
mink
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:05 am

Always stretch before you play. It helps your performance throughout the gig and you don't get stiff after the first few songs. Also, get lots of exercise outside your playing. I cycle 5/6 miles to school every day and my playing has improved over the last year considerably, especially my double bass.

Plus, practice rudiments before you play with your feet and hands and come up with some interesting grooves to help your workout.

Hope this helps :)