Double Bass Practice Songs

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

jwoo10
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:12 pm

THREE WORDS..................

"Hot For Teacher" by VAn Halen

...I'm through

Agreed.. EXCEPT ... I've never seen them do it live... Studio is one thing.. BUT live?????

now ya talk Portnoy... Thats the Heat!... PERIOD... just watch his videos.. technically SOUND!!!!! and doing it LIVE ... WOW!
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:01 am

Well said Rob!
Heresy! \M/
AMK330
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:56 am

i started with Metallica, Megadeth now i am on to bands like Dream Theater, Rush, Slipknot, Trivium and what not
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:33 am

AMK330 wrote:i started with Metallica, Megadeth now i am on to bands like Dream Theater, Rush, Slipknot, Trivium and what not

TRIVIUM! Big fan right here... 8)
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:30 am

there's a great article by Jason Bittner about getting started with double bass playing in a recent MD (the one with S.Copeland on the cover)

check it out
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
millsybaby
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:45 pm

The best songs i found when 1st starting off, or when my legs have had a break and dont like double bass anymore were Guns N Roses "Paradise City" and Whitesnake "Give me All Your Love Tonight" - do those alternating your feet for each beat so your legs are getting an equal warmup for the standard patterns then when the double bass bits kick in you should really notice an instant improvement in how your feet work with you and the rest of the kit. Its great for seperation and equal strength.

Then when you can do those with an easy as pie attitude, go for Motley Crues "Live Wire" and as you said "Red Hot" just for endurance so you know you got this shit down - if you keep messing it up, then just go back and keep going through it until your nailling those bass drums with all your heart everytime and you dont even have to think about it anymore. When you can use the legs like the arms - move onto the Slayer stuff and you'll no doubt have a nice smile on your face as you can just breeze right through it all.

Better to build a house on concrete than slap a mansion on sand you know. 8)
stephenchong
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:36 am

in regards to myself wrote:fuck man i started off fuckin playin slayer and fuckin metallica then i fuckin got over that shit and went to like fuckin hardcore and fuckin how i learnd was aftermath by xdeathstarx thats a perfict song for double bass ull like thatshit its constent all the way through the song and some other shit but fuck all there is to it is to fuckin practice man thats all i can say its a bitch cuz u try so hard and u cant get it but its ganna be like piuberty u know like nite u go to sleep with no hair then u fuckin wake up and fuck u have hair on ur nuts its like u cant do it then one day after all that practice ur goin to man lol

Woahhhh. :shock:

Anyways, i would prefer the old fashion way of using a metronome and start of real slooooooooooow, then go on faster. And faster, and faster. If you keep doing that, you'll find that stamina will not be a problem for you. After you conquered stamina and technique, then you go to patterns. :D
Where do we run, when things that we cherish disappear right before our eyes ?
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:51 pm

THREE WORDS..................

"Hot For Teacher" by VAn Halen

...I'm through

JYD

that's a Shuffle, not straight 1/16

You could always just put any solid groove on and play 1/16 with that.
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:51 pm

I agree with proper technique and learning correctly, but if you are looking for songs Raining Blood is a good one.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

kcin616
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:47 pm

here's what u need to build skills and stamina:

vital remains (anything off of "dechristianize")
any fear factory
any dimmu songs off of: "puritanical...", "death cult...", "in sorte diaboli"
old mans child (anything from "in defiance of existence")

if u cant keep up with the hands, just focus on the feet. then build upon their examples
Music in general is my fucking life. Literally.
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Boltthrower has tons of steady moderate-tempo double bass songs which aren't over the top that make for some good exercise.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:06 pm

kcin616 wrote:here's what u need to build skills and stamina:

vital remains (anything off of "dechristianize")
any fear factory
any dimmu songs off of: "puritanical...", "death cult...", "in sorte diaboli"
old mans child (anything from "in defiance of existence")

if u cant keep up with the hands, just focus on the feet. then build upon their examples

yeah these are great for a beginner (sarcasm)
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:24 pm

Rob the Drummer wrote:I wouldn't start with a song. You should learn technique and then speed. Start slow with proper technique and work your way fast. The metronome and iso-phones are a good idea as mentioned by prog. You don't wanna just jump into Slayer, you will destroy yourself. Drumming is a life long thing, you don't wanna have a bunch of medical problems because of poor technique. Work good technique, start slow, and most importantly- be comfortable!

...that's it!!!
just start with 16ths at a sow tempo with snare on 2 and 4, or on 3, or on 1,2,3, and 4 and use the hats/ride as your metronome with quarters or eighths....
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:26 pm

use cds to help your style, not technique <----my advice