help, please

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

bitterend
new
new

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:00 pm

okey, I know you'll laugh, but I'm new in this stuff...
My greatest wish is to play drums and I'm about to start learning...
I know few people who play drums and they'll teach me, but I'm a little bit shy because I don't know anything... and, btw, I'm not very talented when it comes to music...
so, can you give me some generals information or maybe few pieces of advice...
how did you start?
sorry if I'm bothering you..
:oops:
peace
despite all my rage i'm still just a rat in a cage
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:21 pm

Don't feel intimidated. It's great that you want to play. Ask one of those people if he/she could teach you.
But the drumset requires musicality to the degree of unconsciousnes. I think you should buy an entry level kit, start to slowly go through the basics with your teacher. Maybe you have a talent for drumming :).
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:21 am

Welcome to the forums! What would you like to know? I'm sure we'll help you somehow:)

My drum adventure started when one of my friends asked me if I wanted to play drums. Then he explained me what a drum set contains of and started to show me some basics
dim my eyes if they should compromise
bitterend
new
new

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:39 pm

i don't know, i would like for you to give me some tips, if you want...
for example, what's most difficult to learn, how to begin or sth similar...
and, i must mention that i don't have some big ambitions... i would just like to play for my soul :)
i mean, i'll play punk with two of my friends... some garage, home-made punk with sick lyrics... :lol:
ofcourse i'll find someone who will teach me, but i would like to know just some basics...
thanks again
:oops:
stevo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:01 pm

well, do you want to know the basic components of a drum kit?
the basics of a beat?
how to hold a stick?

theres alot of things to learn. and dont worry, were glad to help you.
hey whats up guys im doug.....FUCK!!!!!
bitterend
new
new

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:19 pm

actually, yeah, i would like to get answer on these questions...
i know it's stupid to look for help on the net, but whatever...
thanks for time :)
peace
AMTJake
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:43 pm

learn to read music, buy a metronome, play simple, be repetetive in your learning, practice regularly, get someone good to teach you that is patient.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:29 am

1. Buy yourself a snare drum, a metronome and a pair of good sticks.
2. Ask somebody to teach you how to hold the sticks and how to do strokes with'em.
3. Visit that SITE and start playing rudiments
4. slowly with your metronome 8)
5. After a month or two get a drum set and a drum book containing some beats and grooves and start playing them on your own kit.
6. go to 4.

cheers:)
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:43 am

Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Drums- great book for beginners.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:44 am

Shalaq wrote:Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Drums- great book for beginners.

What is it? I haven't heard about it before...(?)
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:13 am

It's a book from the Complete Idiots Guide series by a jazz drummer Michael Miller. Very well written and very fun to learn from. Though I'm not a beginner, I still read it and play the beats from it (even if they're ultra simple).
bitterend
new
new

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:16 pm

thanks people...
btw, i'm from croatia and i don't think that i can find that book here, but nevermind...
i'll concentrate myself on this and i'll learn it... i promise :wink:
however, thanks for help... i'll let you know how i'm doing...
i like this forum... you're very nice (i mean, all of you)
:D
i hope my next topic won't be so stupid... :oops:
peace
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:21 pm

Well, I do love running into people who are fresh to the kit.

I myself was introduced to this wonderful instrument by a friend who wanted me to play in her band. I started just by hitting shit and trying to work out some basic beats..as well as trying to break my hands away from doing the same thing as the other was doing.

I also wanted to do absolutely everything that I could do, as fast as I could do it. So...some advice...dont do what I did. I learned some bad techniques from this, and now im still learning the proper ways to do things like Blast Beats, double bass, hi-hat technique...you know..everything a metal drummer needs ( some dont. their choice )

But I'd recomend a teacher. They will understand if you dont know much, they are there for that reason. Look into it.
Vetis
stump

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:19 pm

Hey man. Don't be shy about playing music. Music is emotion and feeling. I am a self tought drummer and have been playing for over 20 years. Yes...it did not start pretty but after a couple of years I was playing in front of alot of people and playing well. I find that listening to other drummers and taking what you like from their style and developing your own style from that works well. Learn the basics of all types of music and roll with it. Play as much as you can. And play with attitude!! It will work for you if you let it. Later!
Xfactor
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi guys i am new to this fourm. I remember learning drums, it was vey testing at times. I also have taught for 6 years so i have some idea about what it takes to learn. First thing you have to decide before even starting drumming is weather or not you are willing to put in the time to learn. Anyone can get a sound from a drum, but it takes skill and dedication to play them proplery. Asuming you have already done this, I found the most sucsessful students where those that always carried a set of sticks with them everwere they went. I use to tell my students that when you start to drive everyone around you crazy from the tapping then they were on the right track. Many students would sit in front of a T.V at night and priactice their rudiments and patterns. It works , you would be suprised at how quickly and hour passes when you practice like this. In any event listen to your teacher and apply yourself to the tasks you given.Most students dont need a drum set for the first 6 months to a year becasue they are still learning stick control and their reudiments, whatever you do dont minimalize the importance of your basics like rudiments and patterns, these are the things that make a good drummer great. Lastly, HAVE FUN thats what it's all about. There is alot of knowledge on this forum and a tonne of drummers that can help you. Use this resource as oftenas you can and dont be worried about asking dumb questions we all started somewhere. Cheers