drum head discussion?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:46 pm

I'm just getting back into playing acoustics recently, and am curious about you folks' experiences with drum head manufacturers...

I need to refit 2 kits for recording soon and just don't have much knowledge of leading brands these days.

If you have tried a wide cross-section of what's available, I'd love to hear your observations on what heads you prefer.

I will be going for an open sound, with little damping.
You can hear our DWs with white remo heads on our myspace tracks.
We want to surpass that sound and get the drums sounding a lot warmer with more presence.

Any suggestions/input will be most appreciated!
~mark
tamadrumboy
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:16 pm

Remo Drumheads (Batter)
10" Smooth White Emperor (BE-0210-00)
12" Smooth White Emperor (BE-0212-00)
13" Smooth White Emperor (BE-0213-00)
14" Emperor X (BX-0114-10)
14" Smooth White Emperor (BE-0214-00)
16" Smooth White Emperor (BB-1216-00)
22" Coated Powerstoke 3 (P3-1122-C2)

Remo Drumheads (Resonant)
10" Clear Ambassador (BA-0310-00)
12" Clear Ambassador (BA-0312-00)
13" Clear Ambassador (BA-0313-00
14" Hazy Ambassador (SA-0114-00)
14" Clear Ambassador (BA-0314-00)
16" Clear Ambassador (BA-0316-00)
22" Ebony Powerstroke 3 (P3-1022-CH)
Saturday, October 14th @ Desiderio's w/ "Vertigo".
Nicholas Plant
http://www.nicholasdrums.com
http://www.myspace.com/nicholasplant
trauts_cire
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:57 am

I am a huge fan of evans. I use the Genera G2's on my toms and a ST dry on my snare. An eq4 batter on me bass and an aquarian EMAD on the front. My toms are maple and they sound so beautiful with those g2's. They have the perfect amount of resonance. The snare ST dry will stand up to any beating I give it and still it can take more. My bass with those two heads on is soooooooo deep and punchy. People are always telling me how good my drums sound especially my bass. And it is all because of the heads I use. I don't care for remo's because the glued filament that you have break and it is ready hard for me to get them evenly tuned.
caulkie
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:34 am

trauts_cire wrote:I am a huge fan of evans. I use the Genera G2's

Me too, cant fault them, they sound better than remo in my opinion
Nothing is foolproof to a suffciently talented fool
Sharris55
new
new

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:01 am

I personally prefer Remo heads, mind you it has been some time since I have actually experimented with other manufacturers. If I were going for a big open sound I would probably go with clear ambassadors on toms with a bit looser tuning. I always use a power stroke 3 with dot for my snare and a clear power stroke 3 on my kick. I have two kits so I typically keep one kit set up with these heads and the other with coated emperiors on toms and the same snare and kick heads. This gives me a darker tighter sound on that kit. Any way thats my two cents! Good luck!
ilike2rock
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:09 am

ive been in drum sales for almost two years at guitar center and iver realized not one company has it over any other . each will have some thing good and bad and all different sounds. heres what ive accumulated over the past years about remo and evans.
remo:
rings and collar stay in shape alot better. much more sturdy and easy to tune.coating doesnt last as long. two ply's resonate alot longer than evans. alot less inperfections. good quality control. collar pops in to shape when seated on head.
evans:
ring does bend when u bend it so to tune it very percisely you"ll need two keys. coating lasts alot longer. evans comes out with new ideas and new heads alot more often than remo. with two ply heads evans puts a tiny hole in the outer ply so air gets in. although they dont resonate as well as remos the lil hole does give you alot deeper tone.evans is owned by d'addario who makes strings so theyre key focus isnt just heads.

i think the closest thing youll find to dw heads as well as works good for recording is evans EC2's . theyll give you alot of articulation which you need for recording but alot of depth and tone as well.
drummerboy_70
new
new

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:58 am

I use Remo heads.
For the last project I worked on I used:
22" Clear Powerstroke 3 heads for the kick tuned with a Drum Dial tuner low. Plenty of punch and warmth for an 18x22 kick.
Clear Ambassadors on all toms batter and resonant tuned mid.
Coated Ambassador on snare batter and clear Ambassador on snare side. I tune my snare high.
I have since switched to the smooth white Ambassadors for the snare batter...I have recorded a sample track with it and was pleased.
My passion is performing
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:42 pm

On my previous kit i used just remo ambasadors but had an evans EQ on my bass and that has never steered me wrong

i was going to do the same on my new kit but the new Remo Bass drum skins are pretty awesome so i had clear ambassadors allt he way round for batter and ressonant and a coated ambassador for my snare

cant say im a big fan of coated skins for my toms but each to there own
Heresy! \M/
chico_41076
new
new

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:38 pm

Remo ebony heads are one of the best i have used if you are an agressive drummer.these things sound great and can take a hella beating. also the remo pinstrip oil filled heads are good for tone and responce.just dont get em cold lol. :roll:
Rythmatic pleasure is worth a thousands lives of pain.
screamkevin

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:43 am

I hate Remo heads for one reason and one reason only: The white coating on their coated heads comes off on your sticks and marks up your cymbals. You'd think since Evans and Attack's coating don't come off, Remo would have figured something out by now. :roll:
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
tezperez
new
new

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:12 am

Check out aquarians double thins, i love them not so great on 10"tom though unles you tune high!! but have to have EQ2 on kick drum!
Found
tamadrumboy
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:54 pm

screamkevin wrote:I hate Remo heads for one reason and one reason only: The white coating on their coated heads comes off on your sticks and marks up your cymbals. You'd think since Evans and Attack's coating don't come off, Remo would have figured something out by now. :roll:

I have been playing coated batter heads on my toms for like 3 years and the coating has NEVER come off...Are you playing with broken sticks son? :lol:
Saturday, October 14th @ Desiderio's w/ "Vertigo".
Nicholas Plant
http://www.nicholasdrums.com
http://www.myspace.com/nicholasplant
m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:24 pm

thanks for all the input so far, everybody.
I appreciate it!
caulkie
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:36 am

At last nights practice, the bass player commented on the pure sound of my tom's "they sound really smooth".

Evan's G2's and I will never change my opinion of them until someone shows me a better drum head. I've had Remo ambassadors and pinstripes and the double layer oil filled remos and none of them come close to the G2.

Oh and mine are coated and haven't marked yet since playing them for over a month with slightly worn sticks. 8)
Nothing is foolproof to a suffciently talented fool
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:14 pm

Evans drumheads

toms batter: G2 clear
toms resonance: G1 clear

For fat tone

Snare side:evans hazy 300
Snare batter: evans Rock af [armid fiber]

Bass Drum Resonant: eq3 black
Bass Drum batter:EMAD!!!!!!!

my kit has never sounded better....

tune your toms good for less sustain or just cut your old snare heads n create ur own rings!

:wink:
lets drum fast and sexy :]