45%
Yes, I love my barnyard
55%

Total votes: 31
dannydrumperc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:40 pm

I recorded some percussion last week including some cymbal rolls. I used my 14" Avedis paper thin crash for it because we wanted a high and cutting cymbal sound. We were amazed at how dark my crash cymbal sounded compared to the crash cymbals already recorded on the drum track - Paiste Signature 16" & 18" fast crashes (I know because I was there when the track was done). It was like having a goose on the chicken pen :shock:

It was easily fixed with some EQ, but I was still shocked about how my smaller crash cymbal sounded darker than the other two because they were of comparable weights and logically we expected a small cymbal to be higher pitched.

I don’t mix brands. All my pies are Zildjians – most of them Ks. I only have two As: the mentioned crash cymbal and an 18” china low. They both fit perfectly with my others. I have also played live with other drummers using Sabians and other Turkish brands (same/similar alloy) without experiencing this sonic mismatch, but never with Paistes or Meinls until now.

Do you mix brands or series? Why?
screamkevin

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:01 am

Nobody should ever get caught up in thinking that using one specific alloy or type of drum equipment is the "best". Every drummer should do what's best for their ear, and their playing situation.

I listed my Saluda cymbal setup in another thread, but that's just my setup for my main band, Scream. I do a lot of fill in work with blues and jazz bands, and there's no way that I would take my "Scream set" of cymbals to those gigs. I have thinner, smaller, darker cymbals that I use on those gigs.

Play what's good for you.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:10 am

I mix cymbal brands and alloys. I use Paiste, Alchemy, Stagg and Wuhan cymbals. My ride is made of B8 alloy and the rest is made of B20. Those brand/alloy differences don't mean that my cymbals don't fit together
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:59 am

I have a mix of B20(Istanbul Agops) and FX9(Meinl Thomas Lang crashes&china). They sound OK. You can really hear some differences and hear that there are 2 types of alloys in the set though.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Brazilian Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:21 pm

right nw I'm mixing brands just because brands like zildjian, sabian paiste are too expensive here in brazil. but I woud like to have al me cymblas from the same brand, but different tipes. ex. I would have my hihat and my crashed be Zildjian K customs, my ride and splashes wouls be A's and also some oriental chinas and splashes
miren324
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:49 pm

I sometimes mix my Sabian XS20 Rock Ride with my Zildjian ZBT Ride (alternate 16ths between them, use one for the verse and the other for the chorus, etc.). I don't know if they use different alloys or not (went to a few sites and couldn't find information on the alloy used in the Zildjians, and I bought them before I was looking at stuff like that), but they do sound different, and they wouldn't fit together in some bands I've been in. In other bands though mixing the two is exactly what I'm looking for to change the sound a little. Go with what sounds good.
Fo' sho' son!
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:10 pm

miren324 wrote:I sometimes mix my Sabian XS20 Rock Ride with my Zildjian ZBT Ride (alternate 16ths between them, use one for the verse and the other for the chorus, etc.). I don't know if they use different alloys or not (went to a few sites and couldn't find information on the alloy used in the Zildjians, and I bought them before I was looking at stuff like that), but they do sound different, and they wouldn't fit together in some bands I've been in. In other bands though mixing the two is exactly what I'm looking for to change the sound a little. Go with what sounds good.

XS20s are made of B20 and ZBTs are made of B8 alloy
dim my eyes if they should compromise
RSmith
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:55 pm

When I first started out, I have a strange mix of 2 Cambers, 2 Zyn (not zildjian) cymbals, a english cymbal that if you hit too hard it would freaking bend and then you had to hit it again, a 20 inch Zildjian crash, and a Paste 505 cymbal. The Cambers were crappy sounding, the Zyn had a good ride sound. The Paste 505 cut through the sound with a high shammering crash and I can always pick it out of the old band recordings.

Nowadays, I do Zildjian K's and A's and mix them at times. I still have the old Impulse cymbals, the ride still sounds cool, and I add the 16in impulse crash from time to time, but not a fan of the china Impulse. But my old 16in rock crash is still part of the live setup when i play live and I have had that for 23 years now.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:21 am

I mix Paiste's b8 bronze cymbals with Instanbul Agop b20 bronze cymbals. Why? I like how they sound :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
joe_cader
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:59 pm

I like a shimmering sound so I have the low end ZBT pack. I have kept the ZBT 16" crash. I did change the hats to Sabian (AA small logo that I found on Ebay).
I also have a AA 16" Regular crash that sounds kinda dark or heavy& a 20" AA ride. i have both zby and AA 16" crashes. They sound good when hit together but i usually go for the Zildjian every time I hit a crash. I *don't* think it's location as I've moved it around and I always smack the Zildjian.
The first one to the end of the song does NOT get a prize! - Paul D. Haley
caulkie
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:53 am

I prefer a one brand setup but the thing I said before on another thread is that cymbals are very personal. If a mix of different brands works for one then it might not work for another. Marmite theory springs to mind now.

So its each to their own when it comes to choic of cymbals, I prefer a complete sabian setup but I could've quite easily gone down the Zildjan or Paiste route but chose not to. 8)
Nothing is foolproof to a suffciently talented fool
RSmith
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:51 am

Yeah, it comes down to a matter of choice of cymbals. I know for a fact that Sabians and Paiste are great cymbals and had our local dealer had Paiste, I would have bought those. But I definly got wowed on the old Zildjians cymbal sounds and they definly fit my sound quite nicely.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:44 pm

i agree that everyone should go for what they think sounds good, and for me that happens to be sabian. i dont stick to one line of them as i already have aax/hh and plan on getting hh fusion hats, hhx chinese (at least one) and some more aaxs. i have personally never been a big fan of the avedis series line or much from zildjian really and paistes, while sounding amazing in their own right, dont have the sound im looking for, and i really want to try some meinl mb20s and soundcaster customs but no one has them around here.

if someone likes one cymbal from every brand ever made, thats their choice. i have zildjians, sabians, a wuhan, and a paiste on my kit but if it were up to me right now id have all sabians...and maybe my little wuhan...
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:41 am

I mix and match. The cymbal choice depends on the music. Plus whether or not I am playing drum kit or percussion.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:51 pm

I swear by Paistes. I think there differnt cymbal lines mix together better than other brands cymbal lines do, there just made to be blended.

I myself like a mix of Giant Beats, Formula 602s and 2002. If I had the money to fool around I would get some Signatures, New Signatures, Traditionals and Rudes for fun, but not to use as my main cymbal setup.

Wouldnt it be great to have a sponsor or unlimited money for drums? Thats what happiness really is...
-Matt Kinel

Vintage Ludwig Stainless Steel Bonham Set
Paiste Giant Beats and 2002 Cymbals
Vintage Ludwig Hercules and Atlas Hardware
Speed King Pedal, Supraphonic Snare
Remo Heads, Coated