Arbiter Flats

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:26 am

Any comments? I've got a piccolo snare and it's OK for the price. Tuning is a snap. Very crisp and full. I'm thinking of getting an entire drumset for rehearsals. Anybody used it?
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:34 pm

Garbage, not a real fan of the flats drums. Maybe Im just stupid but Id use a standard set.
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)
drum_bum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:07 am

im with Adonis2121 on this one.had a play on the flats and i found that theres nothing to them..yea they sound ok for practice but it just isnt the same as a an acoustic kit.
Mapex M Birch kit
Zildjian cymbals
Evans G2 heads
Pro Mark sticks with vatar grip tape
DW double kick
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:48 am

I had a Arbiter Pro 20" bass drum for about 2 weeks and IMHO it's no good. It's not about the sound which may be good for some people (very very dry) but the thing is just to light to be a kick drum... Imagine your kicking a drumhead in a steel hoop on crappy plastic legs - it's obvious that with every hit the drum will move and that's why I got rid of the damn thing :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
rusty4u2
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:14 pm

Shalaq wrote:Any comments? I've got a piccolo snare and it's OK for the price. Tuning is a snap. Very crisp and full. I'm thinking of getting an entire drumset for rehearsals. Anybody used it?

The flats kit is acully really horrible

Looks cheap and really sounds horrible.

You should get a CB drum kit for rehearsals if your on a budget.
havic
new
new

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:59 pm

I had a complete set, cymbals and all, and it was the worst set i've ever played! i returned them the very next day after buying them and switched to the tama stage star which are a compact budget kit. i'm not a big tama fan the sales man warned about the flats and told me to get the tama kit (that was cheaper). he was right, the stage stars kicked the flats ass. but almost anything could the flats ass. it's a cool concept but not practicle. not even for "lite" practising. too bad cuz they look preaty cool
CindersWorld
new
new

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:00 am

Whilst there's a lot of negativity in this thread at the moment, from what you're all posting, you're referring to the original Flats Lite kit on seperate stands. This was a lot more "flimsy" than the current rack-mounted kit.

Sure ... I totally agree that if you play in a rock band, or you're heavy footed and play hard, then you're going to need a hefty shelled kit to withstand the pounding it's going to get.

However ... I use an extended Flats Rack system on-stage, mic'd and PA'd, in our Jazz Folk line-up and it certainly holds it's own. They do sound "flat" in small rooms, bedrooms et cetera, but put them on-stage and they transform into something quite eye-opening.

I'm not saying their the best drum kit in the world but, if you're on a budget and you don't have a big car to transport your rig around (like me), the Arbiter Flats are certainly worth considering.

No I don't work for the company but I do believe in the product and keep in close contact with the manufacturers.

If anyone ever has any questions, feel free to get in touch, or post to the online community I also run.
Cat Lake - Percussionist & Bodhran Player/Tutor
DRUMS: Modified Flats Rack, Bongoes & Djembe
PAISTE: 101s, 10" PST5 Splash, 16" PST5 China
PLUS Custom Mike Quinlan/Arbiter AT Bodhráns!
brian
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:32 am

hey man tim alexander used them on the My Name Is Mud video!
EKoolaidsDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:45 am

Well I had one (It got stolen...)

It was great, I changed the heads 4 times to find the best possible sound. I tried G1's, Pinstripes, and coated G2's, and then I tried Nydraulics....

Coated sounded okay, clear heads gave off better attack...

These drums are great for quick setups, smaller sets, acoustic shows....
You gotta change the heads though to find the "sound" you like same way you generally would a regular kit.....
Drummers are like money.....It's better IN THE POCKET!!!!!

Mapex Pro M 8",10", 12", 14", 16" Rack toms 18x22" Bass Maple Shells 5x14" Maple snare

DW 9000 Pedals+Hi hat stand
Gibralter Rack, LP Percussion
CindersWorld
new
new

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:24 pm

EKoolaidsDrummer wrote:Well I had one (It got stolen...)

Sorry to hear that. :(

It was great, I changed the heads 4 times to find the best possible sound. I tried G1's, Pinstripes, and coated G2's, and then I tried Nydraulics....

Thanks for sharing your findings. I'll pass them onto our own forum members if that's ok.

Coated sounded okay, clear heads gave off better attack...

That sounds about right. I've been using the standard heads up to now but do plan to start experimenting this year.
Cat Lake - Percussionist & Bodhran Player/Tutor
DRUMS: Modified Flats Rack, Bongoes & Djembe
PAISTE: 101s, 10" PST5 Splash, 16" PST5 China
PLUS Custom Mike Quinlan/Arbiter AT Bodhráns!