Extra Drums vs. Extra Cymbals

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

What would you rather have?

lots and lots of cymbals
92%
lots and lots of drums
8%

Total votes: 36
nickbaldwin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 3:32 pm

In my eyes, more drums than cymbals looks amateurish. Dont know why.
Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage drums
Gibraltar 9600 hardware
Meinl Byzance cymbals
Pearl snare
vahnn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 4:33 pm

Yeah it seems to me that playing a 4-piece just became "the norm" within the last 4 or 5 years.

One of the first songs i learned on drums was Chop Suey by System of a Down, and when i realized i could play that intro (which seemed complex at the time to me, haha) so it sounded pretty much exactly the same as when i played on my 6-piece, i immediately just switched to playing a 4-piece.

Why? Cheaper to buy 4 heads than 6! Easier to lug around a 4-piece in my little car to shows and what not! Easier set up! Plus it takes up a little less space in my cramped practice space.
Cretin1
beginner
beginner

Post Wed May 16, 2007 4:49 pm

Capeside Alex wrote:
loop wrote:Or, would you rather take the minimalist approach like lots of MTV-bands and have few of both?

Sorry but this is the most retarded mindframe I've ever read/heard. You could've said "lots of bands", but the MTV part dropped my respect for you by about half, and I could care less how good you are. It's like me saying "Or would you rather take the over-busy approach like lots of tech bands and have way too much of both." It's not necessary to have a ton of both, or minimal of both. If I had to choose, I'd go with drums. Cymbals in about 90% of recordings have no tone and you can't tell which cymbal is which. Drums on the other hand do. I myself, have a 4 piece with a set of hats, two crashes, one ride, and a china. Not the craziest setup, but it works. It's what works best for me. If by being minimal makes me a carbon-copy MTV band, then sign me up. Because drumming isn't about being the craziest, and hitting every drum and cymbal in a fill, but the most creative with what you have to work with (a.k.a the music written). Dude, I hope you stick with what you planned out after this little post, because this was a thread just brewing an argument. HAHAHAHA!

Alex

Damn, Dude. That was kinda harsh. Nobody else that replied tried to turn it into an argument.

I'm one of the 9% that prefers drums. More drums, all sizes please. Granted, it makes for a pain in the ass to move but it really is satisfying to have that many things to hit.
Drums are to music as water is to goldfish.
MrBojengles
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 10:40 pm

simalls are cool. :)... what?
hey. :)