Extra Drums vs. Extra Cymbals

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

What would you rather have?

lots and lots of cymbals
92%
lots and lots of drums
8%

Total votes: 36
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:47 pm

i personally have more cymbals than drums but i would personally like more of each although if i had a limited budget i would get more cymbals but......

theres other things than toms that most people arent taking into consideration in terms of drums...things such as octobans, gong drums, timbales, congas, bongos, and such. if i had everything i wanted it would probably level out in terms of drums and cymbals. of course, most people wouldnt find a use for things such as octobans but i would personally love to have an entire set of them.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Drum Naked
new
new

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:06 pm

I have to say that I prefer an equalized approach. I feel that balance in your kit is the key. You can get different shades of sound from each of your cymbals by where how and with what you strike them. Toms should be used as an emphasis and I prefer 4 toms and by how and when you use them really makes a difference in your composition.
The great thing about music is that each person can express themselves and create something unique
DRUM NAKED..... YA GET AN EXTRA BEATER
The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:35 pm

Cymbals, i only have a 4 peice and it can still put out solos just as good as a 10 peice. I enjoy more cymbals because it makes me feel more comfertable...i guess
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm
:-)
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:10 pm

Well..thankfully I ran into a deal when I bought my kit. I got a Pearl Export EX ( not the best, but im not picky ) 5 peice for 220$. I added two more drums to it for 105$ a drum. So thankfully I got my entire kit for relatively cheap.

If I were to choose between Cymbals and drums, I would go with cymbals...but then my tom-loving side would be pissy...so I'd have to go with the drums. So I like a hearty mixture of both..I simply cant decide.

Then again Im a metal/death metal drummer..so I love them all!!
Vetis
Stoned Gerbil
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:02 am

Defiantly cymbals! You don’t need allot of drums to be expressive and get your point across. For instance you rarely see drummers using two of the same tom tuned exactly the same but many drummers choose to use two matched cymbals to get a louder bigger sound without compromising the pitch when both are hit simultaneously. Where as when hitting two different crashes at the same time may cause some dissidence between the conflicting pitches of the cymbals. You may in fact want that sound but with cymbals its better to have the option! For example Vinnie Paul (Pantera, Damage Plan) uses almost a symmetrical set up with at least 2 pairs of matching crashes and Chinas. This also means you can get an even sound without to much effort whether your right/left hand is playing the hats or the ride. I don't use any matched cymbals but am trying to make a point! It’s good to have as many hi end sounds as possible as the sub frequency of floor toms can get lost in between everything else that’s going on! And there are so many options with cymbals! Plus some times with the drums themselves less is more!
Yamaha Drums/Hardware
Remo Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks
Mapex Pedals/Snare
ChrisNichols
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu May 10, 2007 10:28 pm

I'd go with lots of drums...I find it easier to get different sounds out of the same few cymbals, so I like to broaden my spectrum on the actual drums. Plus I really like going off on long solos on the toms, so it works all round.

But hey, you don't need a big ass kit to be a great drummer.
This could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire.
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri May 11, 2007 10:17 am

If I played more metal I'd want a bunch more toms and two kick drums (instead of double pedals) but since I'm playing post-hardcore I'm using a one up-two down setup with three crashes and a china (plus ride and hats obvs).
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri May 11, 2007 2:46 pm

Cymbals! Easy question, easy answer.

I love playing a basic 4 piece drum kit, maybe a 5 piece if i use an extra floor tom, its all i need. more drums isn't a personal preferance of mine.
Cymbals however, are a different story :roll:
I love having a load of cymbals, at least one of each type :wink: haha (seriously)
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
kc1296426
beginner
beginner

Post Fri May 11, 2007 3:27 pm

The typical 4-piece set up with rack tom, floor tom, bass and snare is pretty cool and all, but I go for the 5 piece with two rack toms because you get more options and "surprises" into your music.

But referring to the question, cymbals all the way baby. The more cymbals you have the more tools you have to work with, I put it that way.
drummert2k

Post Fri May 11, 2007 3:50 pm

i'd rather have the money the cymbals and drums would cost. give me a kick, snare, tom and floor tom. and hi hats, crash and a ride. and im a happy camper.
Conor
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat May 12, 2007 5:37 am

cymbals!!
Pearl, Zildjian, Promark, Paiste
stump

Post Sat May 12, 2007 11:24 am

I have to go with cymbals. I am a cymbal junkie. Though I only have a 4-pc with an add-on floor tom, I have 10 cymbals (just on the kit, not all that I own). Just gotta have the accents and variety I guess. Got the heavier Z's for the loud settings and the A's for versatility. CYMBALS IT IS!!! Later.
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

MasterShake89
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat May 12, 2007 11:27 am

cymbals. god i wish i had money for more of either!
vahnn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 3:10 am

Cymbals.

I currently play a 4-piece kit, with hi-hats, 2 crashes, and a ride... I plan on keeping the 4-piece set up, but i would really like a china, a bell, and a splash. I love the 2 crashes i have now.
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 2:56 pm

It's really funny to see how the size of drum kit issue has come back full circle. When I started playing, there was this huge backlash against giant hair band drum sets. Everybody started playing smaller kits. Now it looks like there is a backlash against the small kits. Why do we care?

I think one of the big ideas behind the small kit, is that it's affordable, which was a cool thing in the early 90's. And even though the kit is small, you still pretty much have everything you need. Now we're back to bigger is better. Just watch. in a year or two, all of the so-called MTV bands will have enormous kits. Then it will swing back around and in another 10 years or so, we'll be back to small kits.