Extra Drums vs. Extra Cymbals

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

What would you rather have?

lots and lots of cymbals
92%
lots and lots of drums
8%

Total votes: 36
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:13 am

For the record, this is just for the sake of debate - I already have my own setup planned out.

Anyway:

If you were limited in budget, would you rather have lots of drums and a few cymbals or lots of cymbals and a few drums?

Or, would you rather take the minimalist approach like lots of MTV-bands and have few of both?

Personally I think plenty of cymbals is the way to go. All you really need on drums is 4 pieces, but the variety of sounds you can get out of lots of cymbals is really attractive to me, with my style of drumming.

I also find that cymbals can be more frequently used than toms - many times tossing in tom-fills clutters up the song (unless you're Danny Carey), while tossing in cymbal crashes, tinkles, etc. can reinforce the song...

What do you all think?
dim my eyes if they should compromise
prog_drummer_77
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:17 am

im exactly the same! there is soo much more that you can add with various cymbals...whether it be using a stax instead of a hi-hat or a bell....or various splash sizez! I LOVE CYMBALS and i don't think that anyone can have enough. although i also LOVE having Timbales for extra effects, they aren't nearly used as much as my cymblas. btw, great debate subject! because there are sometimes when i get confused on what to spend my money on! :lol: (it always ends up being on a cymbal!
Joshua "Cornbread" Hughes
rockstark
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:22 pm

CYMBALS for sure....

Absolutely.
Mapex Saturn Pro
Zildjian and Sabian cymbals
DW Hardware
Evans Heads
Vater Fatback 3B sticks
Sennheiser and Shure mics
Shure in ear monitors

http://www.myspace.com/rockstark66
DrummerKat
new
new

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:38 pm

I agree.. I am a cymbal nut.. Plus the more cymbals you have the less room for your band mates and sometimes they deserve it!
m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:41 pm

I think it depends on what you're doing- as with just about everything in music, I guess. Too hard to generalize.

I like to split the difference, personally. Though I think I'd gravitate toward more drums if I had to choose. We do a lot of tribal/tom-based stuff.
RSmith
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:38 pm

The more cymbals, the better choice I have. ;-)
Capeside Alex
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:22 pm

loop wrote:Or, would you rather take the minimalist approach like lots of MTV-bands and have few of both?

Sorry but this is the most retarded mindframe I've ever read/heard. You could've said "lots of bands", but the MTV part dropped my respect for you by about half, and I could care less how good you are. It's like me saying "Or would you rather take the over-busy approach like lots of tech bands and have way too much of both." It's not necessary to have a ton of both, or minimal of both. If I had to choose, I'd go with drums. Cymbals in about 90% of recordings have no tone and you can't tell which cymbal is which. Drums on the other hand do. I myself, have a 4 piece with a set of hats, two crashes, one ride, and a china. Not the craziest setup, but it works. It's what works best for me. If by being minimal makes me a carbon-copy MTV band, then sign me up. Because drumming isn't about being the craziest, and hitting every drum and cymbal in a fill, but the most creative with what you have to work with (a.k.a the music written). Dude, I hope you stick with what you planned out after this little post, because this was a thread just brewing an argument. HAHAHAHA!

Alex
Music is life...
...Life is Music.

CAPESIDE
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:28 am

I didn't mean to be malicious. You misconstrued me. I hope I'll manage to get your respect for me back. Cheers:)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
prog_drummer_77
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:20 am

personally, i don't take that comment about the MTV bands to be in any way rude or worthy of loss of respect...i mean honestly...if you watch most (not all) of the bands on MTV nowadays, they have small kit setups. This isn't a bad thing because it suits their style, genre and what they like....i don't think that loop was "bashing" the smaller kits, it was just another alternative...some people like tons of cymbals, some people like tons of toms, some people like tons of both, and some people like to keep it simple that is all. and i think that is all he was trying to ask! :D
Joshua "Cornbread" Hughes
Brazilian Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:45 am

I would like more cymbals, as far as drum for my set the only think I would add would be one more snare and one more rack tom. but I wouls add like 6 or7 more cymblas to it iff I could... lol
trauts_cire
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:46 am

I do have more cymbals than drums but not much more. I am tottally happy with my kit. A 4 piece with 2 crashes, HH, ride, splash, and a china. Just a typical set but I love it.
conwen88
new
new

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:30 am

I always side on the extra cymbals. I do more live than recording and I find the different tones of cymbals can change the accent of the fill, rolls, etc. I have a 6 pc set w/ double bass and a set of roto-toms. For cymbals I have 2 HH, 10" splash, 14" thin, 16" crash, 16" thin, 16" metal, 18" crash/ride, and a 20" ride. But I still want a china and maybe an 8" splash.
caulkie
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:36 am

Cymbals definitely 8)
Nothing is foolproof to a suffciently talented fool
grimey mike
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:36 am

if i was starting from scratch, and could get a really nice, reasionably big kit, and little amount of cymbals or smaller kit more cymbals i would go with the bigger kit, i just like the feel of about 4 toms, 2 rack 2 floor and 2 bass! then just work on the cymbals, wouldnt be in a rush for them if i have a perfect kit! lol
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:20 am

I too am a big fan of having more cymbals than drums - you don't have to tune them, change heads and they're easier to pack into a small car ;)

As for a lot of drums, I believe there was a record on which Phil Collins used only drums - I think it was with Peter Gabriel but I'm not sure and I've never heard it myself, its just that a good friend of mine once brought it up in a similiar conversation.
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.