Hanging floor toms - are they stable?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

rosenbager
new
new

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:03 pm

loop wrote:I have a hanging 14x12 tom(quite heavy because of diecast hoops and starcast mount) and I don't have any 'shakin' problems' with it. It sure isn't as stable as a normal floortom but its bounce is really hard to notice. BTW I wouldn't risk with a 16 hanging floor tom because it can be too heavy and bounce too much

I agree that the weight has a profound effect on the bounce, but i have a 16x14 that i hang on a road pro single tom stand and it has very little bounce. The road pro omni balls hold firm for me, and i have no complaints about the size of this. however i have seen some people that hand 14x12s and they just dont mount them well, or dont tighten the star cast mounts and that makes the tom much lest stable.
Life is a perinial Limp Dick with an occasional blow job - Lars
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:43 am

Honestly with some of the more durable support systems that companies are coming out with lately it isnt too hard to throw a 16 or even an 18 inch floor tom onto a stand and have it be a free floating tom.

I personally like the look of a drumkit without the view of the standing toms' legs. It works even better if everything is free floating (thanks to a rack)

Now that I think of it, I've even seen a free floating snare before at a show here in Minnesota. I cant remember the band, but I distinctly remember seeing a rod holding up the snare that attached to both bass drums.

anybody know what im talking about?
Vetis
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:47 am

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that. I've seen a basket designed to attach to a rack system but I can't remember who made it. I have the Tama Air Ride stand and I think it's great. The ONLY thing that sucks about it compared to a conventional stand is that I have to take the drum off the stand to change the head if I break one. Oh well. Minor inconvenience.

As for suspended toms, I have a 20" x 18" kick drum suspended with two Tama RoadPro Combination stands beside my 16" floor tom, and it is rock solid. Doesn't even wiggle in the slightest.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:56 am

Johnny Cat wrote:As for suspended toms, I have a 20" x 18" kick drum suspended with two Tama RoadPro Combination stands beside my 16" floor tom, and it is rock solid. Doesn't even wiggle in the slightest.

Wow, do you have any pic of it?
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:10 am

loop wrote:
Johnny Cat wrote:As for suspended toms, I have a 20" x 18" kick drum suspended with two Tama RoadPro Combination stands beside my 16" floor tom, and it is rock solid. Doesn't even wiggle in the slightest.

Wow, do you have any pic of it?

Not at the moment no. :( I don't have a camera. Hopefully I will get one for Christmas and the first thing I will do is take pics of my kit! :)
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
LAZY.CHINO
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:51 pm

i'm recording in a yamaha with to hanging floor toms 14 & 16
and they dont make any kind of problem thay bounce a little but thats normal and i like hanging FT they have better resonace
mtgdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:56 pm

You also need to look at the length of the toms, short stacks are popular and with less length means less weight, obviously. Once I finaly gather the money for a custom set, my tom sizes are going to be 12x7, 13x8, 16x11, 18x12 and will all be hanging. I definatly dont see any problems with weight there.
G-Rad
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:22 pm

Mounted floor toms do resomate better than legged or standing floor toms (so to say).

I often add my 14' rack tom next to my 16" floor tom and you can tell adifference , not just in tone either ;)
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:36 pm

I've recently converted my 16x13 tom into a floor tom and I can't tell the difference. Maybe that's because I use mapex ITS based floor tom leg brackets and their spring loaded floor tom legs?
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
G-Rad
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:04 pm

yeah, that'd make a difference.

The legs on teh floor can prevent vibration of the drum

Try holding a drum by the rim, and then by the shell. Same concept.