Hanging floor toms - are they stable?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bunnybunny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:02 am

I have noticed that on a lot of kits with smaller tom sizes they have a hanging tom rather than a floor tom with legs. I was thinking about getting one, but I don't have a chance to try it near my place. Assuming that you have a good stand and good hardware are these things stable? It just seems to me that they would be bouncing and shaking all over the place, am I wrong? Thanx
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
Jaki
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:17 pm

lol well it depends on what type of osund u want eventually... a hanging floor tom as ya put it will resonate more as it is only attached using 1 side or the star mounting systems that exist.... i personally choose standing floor toms as they dont bounce around, the sound dosn't bother me as long as it sounds fine but to some people it can be everything. To me good sound is just the right drum heads for the kit lol ..
m
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:35 pm

I've got 2 kits w/ hanging FT's, and they do fine. There's a bit of 'jiggle' but it's not too bad. If you're a 2b basher on a 14" suspended floortom, you might get more bounce than you'd want, but otherwise it's not that bad.
I like the rack/stand options it makes possible.
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:01 pm

i have my 12 and 14 toms hanging..my toms are too deep to get them to a comfortable height...i tried to put the 10 and 12 ona stand offset from the bass drum,but it was kinda diffacult getting from the 12 to the 14..now the 12 and 14 on the floor may look a little silly,but it works... but i have no problem with stability.. but i'm not a basher..yamaha's hardware is pretty damn sturdy..
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:55 am

I have a hanging 14x12 tom(quite heavy because of diecast hoops and starcast mount) and I don't have any 'shakin' problems' with it. It sure isn't as stable as a normal floortom but its bounce is really hard to notice. BTW I wouldn't risk with a 16 hanging floor tom because it can be too heavy and bounce too much
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:10 am

I'd say that Mapex's ITS system is good for hanging toms up to 14 inches. That's why I'm converting my 16 tom-tom to a floor tom in a few days :)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
bunnybunny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:39 am

Thanks for your replies, guys! I think I'll stay with a floor tom with legs, cause I wanted a 16 tom
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
Aeternal
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:03 am

I have a 15X15 and 16X16 hanging toms off a rack. Tama l rods with the RIMS mount. What a sound outta those things.

scenekidsblow
new
new

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:06 am

When I first got my dw kit, I had my 14" and 16" toms both mounted off a DW double tom stand. They didn't go anywhere. Very stable, I bumped into the the stand a few times and they didn't..
I see a few people saying 16" aren't too stable, your right they do wobble [sp?] a bit, but the stand held them both up fine.
Though now I just use the 14"
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:45 am

I used to have a Pacific fusion kit, which actually sounded pretty nice for a Pacific but it had the hanging tom. It bounced around a little bit but only when I was hittin' hard. It sounded pretty good too.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:25 am

Without being an expert on the subject, I'll say that you shouldn't hang anything larger than a 14" tom.

My 14" tom is the largest drum hung up, and all though it goes fine, I certainly wouldn't put something larger (and therefore heavier) on a stand. My 16" and 18" is (of course!) Floor toms.
They would be way too heavy, not to be carried by three legs each, on the floor.
ImageImageImage
catkel
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:45 pm

Ive got a hanging floor tom and its fine. You have to be careful the wy you put the ride stand on the floor like with the legs out certain ways to make it balanced if you get me. But their fine
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:56 am

from what i've found, they are pretty stable if tightened enough, but try not to learn your hand on them...they fall straight down! lol
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
phee
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:20 pm

If you're using DW mounts and hardware, even a 16x14 drum will stay put (nothing larger than that though). DW L-rods are the way to go. You can get by with R.I.M.S. mounts if you have DW L-rods, but not the branded knock offs like starcast and all the other ones (those all seem to always bounce around). The Pearl and Yamaha arms are both sturdy too, though I do not prefer them because of many reasons.

I'm a very very hard hitter. Unless I'm on really thick carpet, a floor tom with legs will slide around on me. I suppose some velcrow would help there, but the three legs make it sound more thuddy to me. I like my floor tom to ring out even longer than my rack tom, kinda 808-ish. I recommend hanging toms with the right hardware. With the wrong hardware though, it will look like they're sitting on a trampoline.
Mad_cow
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:47 am

Hmm I've got an idea!

ok have only one leg ont he tom, on the front side, and have it founded on a stand :O! that migh get rid of the bounce,