Largest crowd you have ever played for??

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:57 am

Either with your band, an old band, solo, with high school band, anything. What's the biggest number of people you have played your drums in front of live?? And what was the situation??

For me it was just over 500 people. It was for a sort of musical showcase with an old band I was in. There were singers, guitarists, pianists, etc. My band was one of only 3 actual bands to sign up though. We got to play 5 songs for this crowd of mostly young musicians. It was pretty cool. Other than that I filled in a couple of times at a church which on average had about 350 people there. Of course most of my real band gigs have been so far like 100-150 people. Hopefully that will change soon, though:P
Tama drums!
screamkevin

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:37 am

Largest crowd I ever played for was recently this summer at the Harper's Park Memorial Rockfest. My band opened for Warrant in front of a huge crowd. Ticket sales were at 7,200, but the crowd was well over 10,000 people strong.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Silzildrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:46 pm

screamkevin wrote:Largest crowd I ever played for was recently this summer at the Harper's Park Memorial Rockfest. My band opened for Warrant in front of a huge crowd. Ticket sales were at 7,200, but the crowd was well over 10,000 people strong.

That's awesome Screamkevin!
tamadrumboy
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:18 pm

Thousands at this event called Canalfest last month...Greatest show of my career. It was right on the Waterfront of a river.
The stage was right against the water and I was talking to boaters riding by in between songs; it was very memorable. :lol:
Saturday, October 14th @ Desiderio's w/ "Vertigo".
Nicholas Plant
http://www.nicholasdrums.com
http://www.myspace.com/nicholasplant
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:38 pm

tamadrumboy wrote:Thousands at this event called Canalfest last month...Greatest show of my career. It was right on the Waterfront of a river.
The stage was right against the water and I was talking to boaters riding by in between songs; it was very memorable. :lol:

and you guys owned the stage!!!!!!!!!!

biggest crowds hmmm..we were blessed to have a few

opening for dickie betts..about 3,500 or so...12,000 when dickie played :wink:

opening for peter frampton at the buffalo bike blast 2004 7,000+

opening for lou graham..5,000
8)
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
bunnybunny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:29 am

Largest crowd I ever had the chance to play for was about 900 - 1000 people
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
Mr. Pants
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:01 am

500+ opening for Fates Warning and Savatage.

500+ Prog-metal heads seems like 50,000, though! :)

Lants
http://www.myspace.com/casanatrampls

20" Hi-Hats are nothing to be ashamed of...
Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:03 am

Mr. Pants wrote:500+ Prog-metal heads seems like 50,000, though! :)

:twisted: rotfl!
Tama drums!
Capeside Alex
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:15 pm

biggest, maybe just over 300. but the best? either an annual local show called Embassy Aggression, or a show I played on a tour with Eighteen Visions, He Is Legend, and LoveHateHero. We played in Halifax, NS, and the crowd was netween 250-350, but made it feel like 99,999. honestly, regardless of how many people are watching you play, it's nothing unless they get into it. however they may (ie. bobbing the head, dancing, push moshing, hardcore dancing, or even singing along to every lyric), it makes the small crowd make it that much better, and shows me why I want to do this for a living. having people go off means more then life itself to me.

Alex
Music is life...
...Life is Music.

CAPESIDE
royalslack
new
new

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:17 pm

Still probably only 800 people....opening for Mudhoney in the 90's....
GeorgeD311
new
new

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:57 pm

My first serious band called Tripside from Huntington, LI won a contest and got to open the Lollapallooza 2nd Stage back in July of 2003.
Pearl Session Custom (22, 10, 14)
Ludwig Black Beauty Supraphonic (5 1/2X14)
Tama Hardware
Paiste Cymbals
www.myspace.com/mothmeetsmachine
www.myspace.com/tripside
steveoverise
new
new

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:43 am

We played a date on the screaming for babies tour with The Starting Line and Gatsbys American Dream it drew about 2,000. Also played Pennslanding in Philly for about 1,000.

www.myspace.com/overise
Mistajohn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:05 pm

just over 300,000. Parkpop festival in the Hague (NL). It was a small turnout, as they expected 500,000.

it's Europe's largest FREE festival. I was there playing with Andrew Dorff (he had a hit record over there). Matchbox 20 opened, The Hellacopters followed us, Dave Matthews, Buju Banton, Echo and the Bunnymen were all there, + some Eurobands...

I was jet lagged, so it was all surreal. Funny thing was, as I was used to playing heavy rock and punk, I looked out and didn't see people going crazy. I play like my life depends on it, so when the crowd reaction is mellow, I question what the problem is.

The problem WAS that I didn't write those songs we were playing. They were of the Alt-Rock ilk, so no matter how I played...same reaction.

I moved on. Why play other people's music. It's not worth it to do this just for money. I'm sure a lot of you know that, right?
screamkevin

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:15 am

Hey Mistajohn, this is freaky, but I know your lead singer! Carrie used to be based here in PA, when she was with Juiced! Wonderful girl, tremendous talent, Cakecutter got one hell of a singer! Congrats!
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Mistajohn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:37 am

yo ScreamKevin-

Wow, what a small world! Actually Carrie is in PA until Friday, I believe! You may see her around!

We're in the midst of a lot of stuff, Geza is mixing the new record, stokin. Getting ready to do a lipttle festival this weekend, and then on 9/16 we're doin' this big Jackass party.

Can't wait to get all this stuff mixed and in the can, then mastered. trying to get back out to Europe before the end of the year.

Wow, I'll let Carrie know that we've hooked up on this thing!

Rock,

Mista John