Things you hate at gigs

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:49 pm

loop wrote:
m wrote:maybe we should start a "things you love about gigs" thread just for equality's sake?

I like that idea. I like discussing good things more :)

thanks for starting that thread!
I like the positive vibes too~
but I suppose it's good to vent about what frustrates us. Free therapy!
rjbaked
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:24 pm

Drunken frontmen

Drunken women who walk up to the stage during soundcheck saying "stop playing the drums, I can't hear myself talk" .

Soundmen

Arrogant headlining musicians who had a hit song 20 years ago who think they own the stage the you are playing on.

Bar fights while the band is on

Crap PA's and monitors

Bar owners who say it's too loud

Bar owners who dont wanna pay

cover charges. My friends who have been coming to my shows for 25 years should not have to pay to see me play. I usually buy tickets for my buds so they don't have to. It means I play for free but I dont do this for the money
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:51 am

m wrote:
loop wrote:
m wrote:maybe we should start a "things you love about gigs" thread just for equality's sake?

I like that idea. I like discussing good things more :)

thanks for starting that thread!
I like the positive vibes too~
but I suppose it's good to vent about what frustrates us. Free therapy!

I totally agree with you, m! :)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
jammin4jesus7
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:24 pm

1)forgetting to tighten a vitally important hardware piece all the way. IE kick drum props.
2)[i'd like to elaborate] no one in your band helping you at all with packing up and rather all your friends not in the band help you

scratch that and reverse the order :evil:
golfchance
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:28 pm

I've grown to hate lugging gear and setting up/tearing down my drums more than just about anything in the world.

I hate getting paid a pittance for my troubles - or not getting paid at all. In fact, nowadays I more often lose money by playing shows.

These things, along with pain in my arms have forced me to quit altogether after about 18 years of playing around Boston. I'm sure I'll get back into it eventually (hell, I already miss playing after only a month and a half). But right now I can't even afford a practice space, so all my drums are just gathering dust in the basement.
MaxDrummr1
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:29 pm

screamkevin wrote:Things I hate at gigs:

-Any request to play "Wipe Out".
-Any request to play "Freebird".
-People that ask for a stick...at every single show.
-Non-drummers who want to sit in to prove that they can play...And they can't.
-Drumming advice from guitarists or bass players.
-Singers who don't help with load-in or load-out, and who complain because it takes you so long to set up.
-Girls who come onstage to dance and touch your cymbals with their hands.
-People that don't even ask permission and just sit down at your drums.
-Singers who decide that it would be really cool to stand on your bass drum(s).
Ludwig Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Aquarian Heads.
All Good.
Rockpig
new
new

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:36 pm

after hundreds and hundreds of shows 2 things that still really bug me that were already mentioned...

1. way too freakin long sets!!!

2. drummers/bands tearing down then moving gear off stage.

ahhh... all for the love of music right?! 8)
"Have a good time all the time." - Viv Savage
Cheapskate
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:38 pm

koooooook drummers who completely disasemble their kit ON STAGE...

I'm talking putting their stuff in their cases!
amazingly bad form...
XIxPxGX
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:39 pm

1.i hate people who talk to me like im different or talk to me like im some great thing im not im just a dude like you talk to me like one of your friends id feel comfortable.
2. missing key beats
3.messing up in general
4.thinking about it to much so you mess up
5.not being able to hear shit
6.freebird
7.being asked to do a drum solo
8.cocky drummers that think their the best thing out there when their not. not saying im like great im just saying dont be a dick.
Drum kit-pearl export select
Cymbals-sabian HH and aax
Pedal-single dw 5000
Heads
snare-evans genera hd dry
Toms-evans ec2 clear
Bass drum-Aquarian super kick 1 with evans pillow inside
Sticks-Vic Firth 5a
scottiedo06
new
new

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:39 pm

Things that suck at gigs for me are non-responsive crowds, drunken people that try to bum-rush the stage, and people I don't know trying to come and "help" move my stuff after I perform.

*side note*-- I noticed that most of you hate when a singer stands on your bass drum, and as a drummer I understand in a way why you can get pissed about it. I am also a screamer for a heavier band (www.myspace.com/edensrising) in which I don't play any instruments (sadly) and I've discussed with the drummer about maybe stepping up onto the bass drum for a stage presence effect, and I did a bit of research. The only time you really have to worry about it really messing up your kick drum is when they are either a larger person or they jump onto the drum. Otherwise there's really no need to get all caught up in a fuss about it.

Check out my band Edens Rising at www.myspace.com/edensrising if you're curious about what I meant by "heavier".
insaneshayne
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:41 pm

Yeah, I think all of my peeves have been touched on here: But to reinforce:

Any drummer that insists on tearing down the entire kit, bagging up cymbals and trying to put the drums in their cases while there is another band standing off to the side waiting to set up.

When I'm on tour and we get to the club and the local band(s) ask to use OUR gear because they're too lazy to carry their own crap to the show. After seeing this at NUMEROUS clubs around the US & Europe, I say screw them! I don't care if you have to make a dozen trips in a rickshaw! You're local, play your own f*cking gear!

Being the headline act and having everyone use my kit (whatever....it happens) and having everything set exactly the way I like it at sound-check and having it completely screwed up (and the left-hander being right before me!!!aaarrrrggggghhhhh!!!!).

But even though we all hate this crap, it'll never change and we'll deal with it because we're professionals and ultimately all on the "same team" as musicians.... Oh well.
At least we have a place to vent!
dangertrevor
new
new

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:43 pm

screamkevin wrote:Things I hate at gigs:

-Any request to play "Wipe Out".
-Any request to play "Freebird".
-People that ask for a stick...at every single show.
-Non-drummers who want to sit in to prove that they can play...And they can't.
-Drumming advice from guitarists or bass players.
-Singers who don't help with load-in or load-out, and who complain because it takes you so long to set up.
-Girls who come onstage to dance and touch your cymbals with their hands.
-People that don't even ask permission and just sit down at your drums.
-Singers who decide that it would be really cool to stand on your bass drum(s).

These are all so true. especially the touching of the cymbals. My little brother does that and gets his cheeto-ey fingers all over them and grease. You think he would fianlly remember how they sound so he would finally stop doing it. :arrow: :evil:
Mapex
Vater 5B
Sabian
Evans/Aquarian

www.myspace.com/dangertrevor
Rockpig
new
new

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:45 pm

insaneshayne wrote:.... Oh well. At least we have a place to vent!

EXACTLY!!
"Have a good time all the time." - Viv Savage
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:49 pm

#1. soundguy's screwing you around . This seems to be everywhere I have yet to meet a cool soundguy
#2 asking to use my kit or anything NO!!
#3 People touching my cymbals w/ their oily fingers or walking by and slapping them w/ thier fingers. I will kill you!!
#4 forgetting stuff ;it usually is my drum mat and then I gotta keep pulling my kick back toward me in the middle of a song. I got all the rest on a rack so it does'nt move.
#5 whinny loser bandmates who will not or always seem to disappear during load in and set up/ load out gee cause I drive all the stuff there and back and am the drummer they feel it is alright to let me do it all.
sonor drums
Meinl Byzance cymbals
Byzance crashes
and splashes
saluda v-bells
sabian hats
Paiste accent cymbals 4" & 8"
DW pedals
roc n soc ,pro mark sticks
TomorrowsTragedyDrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:51 pm

dugdrummer wrote:drummers that teardown on stage when your the next band on..get your gear OFF THE STAGE!!! so i can set up!! :evil:
you took the words right out of my mouth