Things you hate at gigs

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

big_bad_drummer_ boi
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:04 pm

Ooo my pet hate are the lil hardcore dancer's in the mosh. I think they kill a good ol mosh pit.Damn emo's *shudder*
drummer_matt01
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:42 pm

- I agree with smokey rooms, fuck that
- As for singers hitting cymbals, as long as im not hitting that cymbal i think it looks sick,
- I dont mind people using my kit a really have no problem with it..................but when they turn my toms with out loosening them and and AND MOVING MY MEMORY LOCKS!!!RRRRRRRRRRRRR
- I dont have a problem with sound guys...........cause i do it anyway and get someone else to do my drum sound check
- Hate using other peoples drum kits espically a 4 piece
- I once did a gig where they said, "you cant put your double kicks on my drum kit" im like wtf
- Guitarsts that, when you have set up your drums on a stage the size of your kitchen table say move your drums over i cant fit my stack on stage.....

yeh

thats all really
thefats
new
new

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:14 pm

lets see i would have to say

1. anyone standing and or jumping off of my kick drum!!!!!!!!!!
2.the band starting a song and not even asking if i am ready!
3.sound guys that get mad when i help them mount/unmount there mics from my drums!!
4.promoters that don't promote and yell that they have to pay you your money out of pocket even thoe your band promoted more than the promoter!!!
5. sound guys.
6. any one asking for and classic rock/lame emo songs!!!
7. sound girls?
8. drunk girls and boys that fall down and puke and smell up the place.
9. venues that think a drum riser is required even thoe they have no fucking room so your band complains that your drums are in the way of there amps!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:35 pm

After years of traveling, and playing night after night, I've learned to block out a lot of annoyances, but to this day my biggest irritation is thin sound on stage. I want to hear, and feel the body of music, and when all I hear is AM radio sound, I lose my happy buzz quickly.

I also get irritated by soundmen that don't show love for the second bass drum :evil: This has driven me back to a double pedal.

Okay, one more. :lol: ,

When I have to do a quick setup after another band, and the drummer before, dismantles his set on stage before removing them. A true sign of an ignorant amature :evil:
drum_bum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:51 am

think most of them have been put down but i still have a few.although i dont mind using other peoples kits as long as they got a minimum of 3 toms.jst having 2 annoyes me..

~sound guys/gals who rush through you just to get to the singer/guitarist/bassist
~having to lug all my kit in BY MYSELF when the singer and everyone else has set up and is asking you why your taking so long
~people disturbing me while im setting up.even if everyone else is ready making alot of noise,i want my quiet space to sort things out
~having no space to feel comfy while playin so the kit is squashed in,and im playing with my elbows in my ribs when playing the ride
~havin mic leads/guitar and bass leads strewn in and around the kit
~bein told u have a 30 min. set and then on the night only havin 20.i dont care if your running behind,i want my full time time slot.
~being told to be at the venue 3 hours before your ment to go on to set up and sound check,then they fuck up and you have to do all that in 20minutes digging into your set time.
~as for having a moniter.dont think iv ever had one at a gig,so by the end of the set im deaf because of straining to hear everyone else and be in time.

anyway..think thats about it for me..drunks dont bother me.just say no and tell 'em maybe nxt time.and the ladies.all the love for the singers and guitarists,but wheres it all for the drummers,eh?
Mapex M Birch kit
Zildjian cymbals
Evans G2 heads
Pro Mark sticks with vatar grip tape
DW double kick
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 am

NWCrusher wrote:When I have to do a quick setup after another band, and the drummer before, dismantles his set on stage before removing them. A true sign of an ignorant amature :evil:

I did that once... it was the one and only time I ever did that to another drummer, because the next week the same thing happened to me - another drummer was dismantling his stuff on the stage while I had something like 3 minutes to assemble my stuff ;]
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
drumobsessed
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:44 am

a) Shitty sound guys at every shitty venue imaginable!!!!
b) People jumping off my bass drum
c) If someone's using my kit or cymbals and has the cymbals set up so tightly that there are cracks :evil:
d) Having your set cut short even as a headliner because they 'have to close the bar' or 'have to start cleaning up', fuckers...!
e) When your band is all pushovers and let other bands say they want to play later and have us open instead, and then we open and there's jack all people in the crowd...wait, what crowd?
f) When 'indie' drummers won't let me touch their drums because they think I hit too hard ;)
drumobsessed
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:47 am

P.S AGREE WITH THE DRUMBUM...

When I don't have a monitor (which is usually the case) I can't hear shit. I blame it on myself because I've been playing for eight years with no earplugs and my hearing is basically shot. So everything is a blur unless I have a monitor, even if the amps are a bit behind me.
drum_bum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:17 pm

to drumobsessed-

no monitor does make it difficult and bloody annoying but i think you just have to get on with things as we do.got some proplug ear plugs which help keep bass noise down from damaging your ear drums(said it on the pack and i believed..lol)anyway,it also helps with hearing the rest of the band.not quite a monitor but they have helped me with a few gigs..
Mapex M Birch kit
Zildjian cymbals
Evans G2 heads
Pro Mark sticks with vatar grip tape
DW double kick
Denny19
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:19 pm

I'm ok with most things but the main thing that pisses me off is:

Guitarists. Guitarists who blame ME for THEM going out of time when it was THEM who broke a string and who can't freakin' count the four.

Other than that I'm fine. So far.
Captain_Original
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:15 pm

ooooh budday.

-People who think it's cool to trash your drums because they think it's "Punkrock", Screw that! Drums are expensive!

-People who touch my drums.

-When people assume you can turn down drums like a guitar.

- Drunkards who throw things.

- Drunkards whp try to randomly play my drums.

-Drunkards in general.
Ajax4
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:34 am

siungers who think its fun to come and either hit the cymbals with their hands, or grab a stick out of my stick bag and start hitting drums. OUT OF TIME!
and yeah guitarists and bassists giving advice pisses me off too.
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:46 am

1. Get your greasy hands off my freshly polished cymbals, "Drum-tech"!

2. Yes, I do need all those drums!

3. Yes, I need one mike for each tom!

4. Yes, I do need all those cymbals!

5. Yes, I need to play this loud, during the concert!

6. No, I can not be placed behind the wall of guitar amps!

7. No, I'm not going to disguss my preferences regarding what I need, with you!

8. No, I am not a Prima Donna!

9. No, I am not an asshole!

10. Whatever....

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?! :P
ImageImageImage
The Drummer
new
new

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:38 pm

Jaki wrote:Anyone who isn't in the band coming with in 10 feet of my kit or me while I'm on stage... last guy who got close I pushed him into the side monitor and he later got band from the pub.... Idiot lol

1. People touching my cymbals.
2. People touching my kit.
3. People who don't like me because I use 2 kick drums.
4. People moving my gear with out my permission.
5. EMO kids who ask to use my kit.......
6. Anyone, especially singers standing on my bass drums.
7. Sum 1 elses kit during a gig... speically a tiny 5 peice.
8. Any drummers insisting they only use 1 bass drum wen 2 are there for them.....

it goes on and on

EXACTLY
ViciousCircle5
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:22 pm

7. Sum 1 elses kit during a gig... speically a tiny 5 peice.

8. Any drummers insisting they only use 1 bass drum wen 2 are there for them.....

Don't you see the hypocracy in that mindset??? :lol: :lol: