Things you hate at gigs

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:47 pm

i hate loud drunk people at shows. it's not like with standup comedy where you can work a heckler into your act. with music you've just got to play through it.

i hate when venues say they have house kits, and when you get there they are falling apart
Beat on.
pdp
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:54 pm

This may sound lame, but I'm only fourteen so gimme a break. But, we were playing
at my school and we were getting set-up and we were trying to soundcheck. The stupid teachers kept
pushing us out of the way to practice for some dumb thing they were doing. So, only like one third of the gym
could hear guitar over my drums. Gyms suck for music :x
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:48 am

Man I've been there PDP. I know what it was like.
My junior year of high school, the band I was in, competed in the annual high school Battle of The Bands, in 2005. A little background though.
We were a metal band. Metal bands were not accepted as well as others at my high school. This was a school mostly full of preppies who liked Fall Out Boy, Dashboard Confessional, or whatever other emo/pop/indie band. They scoffed at the metal bands and didn't appreciate it nor liked it at all.
I was in this band, me and two of the members had been in a previous metal band that had played every year, and unfortunatley, though we were probably one of the best there, we never came close to winning.
This year was different. We had been together maybe 2 months, we only had 2 original songs at that point, and we covered "Omerta" by Lamb of God. Needless to say, to our surprise, we rocked the place, and we won first place, and $500.

Now, to the point.
Every year, the winning band gets to play the homecoming pep rally in the gym, like 2 days after Battle of the Bands. Let me tell you what, as fun as it was, playing in the middle of the gym, in front of the whole student body and staff, it sucked! I couldn't hear a damn thing but my drums. Lucky for me, I memorize my parts and where the changes are in songs, and I just play the song back in my head as I play.
Drums echo like a bitch in a huge gym, at least to me, and the acoustics are horrible. Nothing was miked, except for vocals. But I played my heart out, like every other show because that's what matters.

Playing in high school gyms suck!!! Especially when they tell you you can play two songs, and then they cut you off after the first one. I think they did that on purpose because we were a metal band, and maybe it was "too noisy and obnoxious" for them.
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:50 pm

pdp wrote:This may sound lame, but I'm only fourteen so gimme a break. But, we were playing
at my school and we were getting set-up and we were trying to soundcheck. The stupid teachers kept
pushing us out of the way to practice for some dumb thing they were doing. So, only like one third of the gym
could hear guitar over my drums. Gyms suck for music :x

Indeed they do. A month ago or so my band played at my school. Luckily we had put our money together and bought our own PA for smaller locations, where we also included a monitor just for me (brand new, and all 4 in the band payed for it :)). My snare was too loud, but luckily I was allowed to borrow my school's snare which was a bit different and much tighter tuned (top head) so I pulled of some freaky ghost notes a couple of times. :D
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:50 pm

we just played a BOTB at a college gym on new years day. we lost to a blues band that used to tour with cheap trick (they were insane players), but ive done about 6 gym shows, and i personally love it! the drums carry through amazing, and i only mike the kick. i can always hear everything perfect though.
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:44 pm

1.)arrogant drummers who, when the moment they sat down, would show off and act like they're cool
2.)when it's our time to play, then another band would go to the stage and take our slot without notice...
3.)when the crowd gets out of control and start chaos
4.)when a band takes way too long to set up
LET YOUR DRUMS DO THE TALKING
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:49 pm

chocobebear wrote:3.)when the crowd gets out of control and starts chaos

That's supposed to be a good thing! (at least as long as it's not in your venue)
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
Haxor
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:34 am

Hate it when people try and steal gear...

Ive had to touch up a few people because of that
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:28 am

Most of mine have been mentioned already but some I particularly hate is:

-Sitting there playing and watching guys hit on my wife, one guy even grabbed her arm to pull her over to where his friends were, I just about jumped over the drums to pound him into dust, I mean she clearly has a ring on! That's a good way to get on my bad side.

-People that throw things at you when you're playing, I've had many lit cigarettes thrown in my lap while playing.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:28 am

Airborne Ranger wrote:Most of mine have been mentioned already but some I particularly hate is:

-Sitting there playing and watching guys hit on my wife, one guy even grabbed her arm to pull her over to where his friends were, I just about jumped over the drums to pound him into dust, I mean she clearly has a ring on! That's a good way to get on my bad side.

-People that throw things at you when you're playing, I've had many lit cigarettes thrown in my lap while playing.

Some asshole thumped a cigarette butt at me and missed my head by about three inches.

I retaliated when a stick "slipped" out of my hand and glanced off his head, butt-end first.

The bouncer retaliated and threw him out. :) Of course I got the "liability....put out an eye....clubowner....insurance....blah blah....."
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:59 am

I hate it...ABSOLUTELY FRIGGIN HATE IT...when fights break out while you're playin.....
I was playin at this place called Grafitti's in Bad Windsheim, Germany and these 2 chicks got into a bitch fight right in front of the band...One girl pushed the other up against my kit...I got up mid song, reached across my kit and comenced swinging sticks and cussing... I hit one of real good...had to hear about it from my commander the coming monday...
blue-haze-burnout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:46 pm

1.When the band supporting you has an attitude as if there the be all and end all of music!
2.When the band before you have a left handed drummer (Dont hate lefties just its annoying switching everything around)
3.When your headlining and you have your kit there and the opening band are very young and its the first gig and the drummer just abuses your kit!
4.Knowing you know more than the sound engeneer lol
5.being around people who have no idea what there doing
6.bands who decide not to bring there own gear and ask to use yours just before they play (if you get in contact with me before the show ill have NO problem)
7.big headed guitarists giving you drum tips!?!?!?

Thats just off the top of my head
i could fill 200 pages if i thought about it lol
Great Gazoo
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:43 pm

Other drummers who just show up with no gear and assume you will let them use yours...(sorry man my wife just called I gotta run)

Now I will admit if im out having a drink and theres a band playing I watch the drummer(hell I might learn something)but if im playing out im not gonna stare down all the other guys mainly couse it irritates the hell outta me to have it done to me

Freebird

Lost a beater once hit me in the shin(hurt very much bed) eyes watered up couldnt see...good times

Dont stand on my bass drum and I wont stand on you!

And about 500 other things
I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself..
chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:31 am

Empyrean Drums wrote:
chocobebear wrote:3.)when the crowd gets out of control and starts chaos

That's supposed to be a good thing! (at least as long as it's not in your venue)

-i meant violence in this light
LET YOUR DRUMS DO THE TALKING
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Useing someone elses kit
Shitty sound people
Heads breaking
people saying can I play your set for a sec
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!