Things you hate at gigs

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

trowa012000
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:00 pm

Extremetrucker wrote:I hate standing there waiting to get up and play ,watching the first bands drummer drop sticks, come off time, miss fills, and just generally be an ass. But think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. But I love setting the bar high. :twisted:

Fucking Amen, I hate that! I also hate things being thrown on stage. At a gig a few weeks ago, a "brick" got thrown on stage and broke my resonant bass drum head. Another thing I hate, when a head breaks mid-set and you have to conciously tell yorself not to hit it.
So many drums, So little time.
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:25 pm

Mr. Pants wrote:
dugdrummer wrote:drummers that teardown on stage when your the next band on..get your gear OFF THE STAGE!!! so i can set up!! :evil:

Hell yeah!! :lol: :lol:

I'm a pretty nice cat, if they don't get off, I tell them I 'm going to help them...if they decline my help, I help them anyway. :twisted:

you and me both 8)
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
Fudman
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:48 am

man there are some pritty good ones on here I almost forgot.

another one is when the sound guy tells you this band youre playing with is realy good then they suck so bad you make jokes about them from then to, oh I say its been about 4 months now.

OMG thay sounded like thay had never played together( and they booted us out of our spot, they were a late add aswell.)

one of the other sound guys woulnt stop saying he was sorry, and that it was crap they pulled the stunt they did.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:56 am

I hate:

-soundmen because they are usually lazy and don't care enough to set everything up in the proper manner
-playing NOT on my stuff
-people wanting to touch, play etc. my drums (especially girls who have this irrestitable urge to strike my swish cymbal)
-playing in places where there is no separation of the so called stage from the rest of the club, hence there is no stage...
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
free beer
new
new

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:23 am

Drunken Elvis impersonators coming up on stage, in fact any drunk on stage.. :evil:
Roland TD12 (expanded) V Drums - dB Technologies Opera 415M stage monitor........Gigs through FOH - PA
SKPScott
new
new

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:35 am

I hate when band members are drunk when playing.

I hate when the show is going great, so great that my guitarist think we can pull off a new song written the day before.

I hate these crappy "Sludge-Metal" bands that think their the shit, play Maiden Covers and sound like a drunk terrible Metallica/Godsmack.

I hate bands that bring 12 people and expect 150 bucks for playing.

I hate arrogant band members that think that there the shit cause they use to be signed or are signed to some crappy label that doesn't even have distribution.

I hate dealing with coked out club managers.

I hate clubs that book you and you have to bring a P.A. System.

I hate sluts at shows who move from band member to Band Member until she finds some douche bag drunk enough to fuck.

OK I better stop, I could go on forever. lol

-Scott
tezperez
new
new

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:41 am

-sound guys that damage your kit trying to force mic clips onto it,
-sound guys that rip your kick drum head (yes... it has happened to me)
-pyrotecnics on the drum plinths
-kids playing my kit with broken sticks
-moving my kit setup around
-people using my cymbals or sticks
-bad monitor mix
-extensivly long sound checks
Found
Capeside Alex
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:26 am

Jaki wrote:8. Any drummers insisting they only use 1 bass drum wen 2 are there for them.....

???? WHAT!?!?!?! LOL
We don't all need two kick drums! LOL! Maybe some of us feel we don't need to be flashy with two when one gets the job done. Fact.

Here are mine in no particular order:
1. Being trapped into sharing gear. (I don't mind sharing, but fucking ask me...)
2. Sketch promoters. (It's called a guarantee for a reason! And if you bitch about the turnout, remember, they call you the promoter for a reason. TO PROMOTE!)
3. Elitist scene fucks that stand watching you with their arms crossed. (If you can do better, show me.)
4. Shot drum monitors. (Yes people, drummers need monitors too.)
5. Guitarists that use gear that isn't necessary for the size of the venue. (It takes up space off stage as well as on. Not to mention a decent half stack is just as good.)
6. Bad soundmen. (No explanation required on this one. LOL)
7. People at the show in the way of loading on or off stage. (Go somewhere else!)

The list could go on, but we all know the shit!

-Alex
Music is life...
...Life is Music.

CAPESIDE
drum_r 4 eternal life
new
new

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm

1. when ugly chicks touch ma cymbals...
2. playing somewhere where der is no ac...
3. some one else gets in ma kit and plays like a idiot.
4. band mates that think that they can play drums or give advive about them...heck anybody...
5. not getting enough time..
6. show up at an invitation, and not be giving a chance...ohh dat really pisses me off..
7. when people ask for free sticks...
8. when people ask me to teach them da beat i play during I'M PLAYING A FREAKING SONG....'
9. when people do nothing but stare at me during da whole freaking show...specially other drummers....heck anybody except prettty chicks..lol
10. when one of your heads break during a performance....
I LIVE MY LIFE A MEASURE AT A TIME!
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:41 pm

when people try to have a conversation with me while I'm tearing down and trying to get shit to my car.
Drumlord
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:38 pm

Things I hate at gigs:

When some dipsh!t comes up looking like he just rolled out of bed and starts telling me how he is in the most kickass band on the planet and they blow my band away. I usually ask him why, if his band is so great, he is here on a Saturday night watching me play.

Drunks asking if they can sit in with the band and play my kit. I'll say "sure, if I can take your girlfriend for a ride".

Bonehead club owners who think they should only pay the band $300 because that's more than their waitresses make. Hello? You're paying me for my skill, not my time. We pack the place, keep everyone drinking, and make you $12,000 and you wanna bawk at paying the guys in the band $100 each?

When the guys in the band set their beers on my drumriser and leave them there while I'm tearing down.

Guitarists who set their amp up right in the area I have to get behind my kit so that I have to do a contortionist act to get back there.

And my favorite: The drunk who, despite the fact that all night we've been playing modern rock covers, has to yell out "Play some Skynard!" What about our setlist indicated to you that the next song might be "Sweet Home Alabama"???

This is fun. I could go on all night! :twisted:
==========================
http://www.saturnkat.com/drumlord
==========================
DrumKore
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:32 am

Have to get all the stuff off the car, mount, unmount, get the stuff right to the car, drive home, get the stuff all back home and all this alone. I will be much happy if I only have one JUST ONE roadie....
Drum or Die
The19thHole
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:02 pm

My friend and I were singing in a acoustic concert and we had 20 minutes on stage. Anywho we had these people ahead of us who also had 20 minutes. we had a simple layout 3 covers from Dashboard Confessional, The Format, and Plain White T's(all soft rock). anywho they took 30 minutes eating up 10 minutes of our times. Also in the time when all of them getting the hell of stage and us getting on... we only had appox 7 minutes leaving us to do one song :-) . %@#!ers
Yamaha Drums
HHX's
Paiste Signatures..mmm
:-)
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:54 pm

Things I don't like.

1. Smoky rooms!
2. Very Drunk People (dude walked on stage when we were in the middle of a tune!!!)
3. A Bad Mix

That's about it, I love playing no matter what though!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
SynDigiTal
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:04 am

-Over-Booked shows drive me insane.

-Playing ahead of a bunch of shitty bands annoys me.

-Selling overpriced tickets for a local show.

-Having a horrible sound guy.

-A small drum riser can be annoying.

-Having a crappy monitor that crackles leaving me unable to hear what I need to hear.

-Being at a show to load-in an hour and a half before the show when my band is one of the last bands. Being at a venue for 6 hours waiting to play... being forced to listen to horrible bands is uncalled for.

-When a shitty band thinks they are gods, and even go as far as to tell you they are better than everyband there.

-Vocals that are too damn loud.

-A horrible mix that leaves me rendered deaf due to unreasonable high end.

---------- I realized this is what I have to deal with at about every single show Ive ever played in my life. With the exception of maybe one or two.
"pop culture can lick the back end of my dick"

-Derek Hatfield