Things you hate at gigs

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

brian
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:57 am

squeky bass pedals!
assholes who tell you what you should do (even though you wrote the damn drum part)
small crouds
gear that gets damaged
1/2 hour sets!!!
irwin of bloodlogic
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:39 pm

thefats wrote:lets see i would have to say

1. anyone standing and or jumping off of my kick drum!!!!!!!!!!
2.the band starting a song and not even asking if i am ready!
3.sound guys that get mad when i help them mount/unmount there mics from my drums!!
4.promoters that don't promote and yell that they have to pay you your money out of pocket even thoe your band promoted more than the promoter!!!
5. sound guys.
6. any one asking for and classic rock/lame emo songs!!!
7. sound girls?
8. drunk girls and boys that fall down and puke and smell up the place.
9. venues that think a drum riser is required even thoe they have no fucking room so your band complains that your drums are in the way of there amps!!

9. Especially when the riser is so small your stands hover on the edge!
Dillface
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:56 pm

When you're playing and someone just shoots you in the head. That's a day ruiner if I do say so myself.
Horns in a song are very orgasmic.
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:53 pm

Hey man, that's not funny, I know you're referring to Dime.
R.I.P.
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:19 pm

Rain,Snow,Floods ,and ive gotten a drum kit stolden!!!! wile i was having a smoke(cig) outside a bar show with Drowning pool,Switched. after that i got insurance on all my gear threw portland musicians.com 250.00 a month EVERYTHING COVERD!!!
MAPEX DRUMS/Tama Drums/PEARL HARDWARE

EVANS/ATTACK DRUM HEADS

ALESIS,DDRUM,

ZILDJIAN/ISTANBUL CYMBALS

VATER PERCUSSION
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 pm

and a non Experianced SoundGuy!,and when my tech doesnt have my kit set up on time before soundcheck.
MAPEX DRUMS/Tama Drums/PEARL HARDWARE

EVANS/ATTACK DRUM HEADS

ALESIS,DDRUM,

ZILDJIAN/ISTANBUL CYMBALS

VATER PERCUSSION
blackreign
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 pm

bands you play with, who are terrible and not in time, and have the nerve to point out that you missed "one beat"
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:48 pm

i hate when there's a piece of hardware that just won't do what you want it to do, or when you're rushed when you're setting up.
i also hate breaking sticks in the middle of songs.
Beat on.
mudoyal
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:04 pm

oh man, metal fests are the worst. well, i guess any "fest" is bad. everything is rushed, and no time to properly set up.

NUMBER 1- when they tell you your set up time will run into your set

a lot of people have put that sound guys are the worst. but that's only the bad ones. i had a gig (i believe in chicago) and i had some trigger problems and the sound guy only had one bass drum mic. he suggested that we trigger one bass drum and mic the other. normally i would have said no but we pretty much had no time. i told my bassist to go and sound check my bass drums while i stood in front of the pa. and my god. that sound guy made almost a perfect match between the two. the show went well.
Mr. Pants
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:21 pm

TOO MUCH FREE BEER, I CAN'T SAY NO!!
http://www.myspace.com/casanatrampls

20" Hi-Hats are nothing to be ashamed of...
TinChimp
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:31 am

It really does grind my gears when other drummers whine about your set up when they're using your kit. When I use another drummers kit I try, as I'm sure most of you guys do, not to move anything (aside from this one time where I moved the headlining drummers rack tom 1/2 inch to one side as it was grazing against and marking his base drum, he can thank me later).
HOWEVER at a gig my band was headlining at Manchester's Night and Day Cafe, with 3 other drummers using my gear, the drummer from the second band on (actually signed and now starting to get airplay on Radio 1) asked if he could re-angle my toms as he wouldn't be able to play my kit with the way I have them. When I said I'd rather he didn't as it takes ages to get them right again, he spat his dummy out, "I can't play your kit, I bring my own in!!" he says as his band was on tour and they had all there own gear in the van, now this is for a half hour slot, on a week day night, on a small stage, and the kit was all fully miced up, so the sound engineer and myself both said "not a chance".
So the compromise was reached that we'd have to un mic my rack toms, after the first band had finished, move them to one side, put his rack tom on his stand how he likes it, re-mic/sound check the single tom, then revearse the process for the 3rd band on, as he wouldn't let anyone else use his gear (!). bit of a lesson in how to make friends and influence people, the sound engineer and all the other drummers were fuming!! If the guy had been some sort of drum god I might have repented from having a go at him, but he ended up having all the technique of a chimpanzee on steroids, so my floor tom skin looked like it had been machine gunned by the time he finished, lucky for him I was too busy re-building my kit too pull his arms off before he escaped. If Our paths cross again, he'd better have that 14" coated ambassador he owes me, or he'll need drum lessons from Rick Allen!!
Anybody else had run ins with jumped up Prima Donna's?

Cheers
Tris
stump

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:49 am

Let's see...at our last show someone the set up crew turned the wrong screw on my DB pedal and caused my #1 pedal cam to give out the second song, I had to finish the song with my left pedal (thank goodness for practicing that). The sound guy didn't tighten my #1 tom mic and it fell onto my tom during the 3rd song and during the 5th song my china fell over and clocked me in the head. Though I was able to recover without much stress I was alittle perturbed. Oh and the headlining band (Drivin-n-Cryin) with the exception of the singer were a bunch of dicks. I did get alittle chuckle when their drummers crash flew off and clocked him. I saw the wing nut come off and figured he did too, guess not.. :twisted: Just a few things. Peace on ya!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:39 am

ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH wrote:Rain,Snow,Floods ,and ive gotten a drum kit stolden!!!! wile i was having a smoke(cig) outside a bar show with Drowning pool,Switched. after that i got insurance on all my gear threw portland musicians.com 250.00 a month EVERYTHING COVERD!!!

Isnt 250 a month rather high?
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
stump

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:21 am

ThePloughman wrote:
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH wrote:Rain,Snow,Floods ,and ive gotten a drum kit stolden!!!! wile i was having a smoke(cig) outside a bar show with Drowning pool,Switched. after that i got insurance on all my gear threw portland musicians.com 250.00 a month EVERYTHING COVERD!!!

Isnt 250 a month rather high?

That's way high dude! My insurance is on $18 a month. Peace on ya!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:25 am

bad sound
bad monitoring
asshole club personnel
getting equipment stolen