Drum Muffling/Silencing-help

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

CyanideBreathmint
new
new

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:49 pm

I'm currently a college student and moving into an apartment. I'd like to keep playing my drums and practicing, but can't really afford silencers right now. Is there a way i could silence or muffle my drums just using things around the house, or should i start saving my money for silencers?
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:30 pm

If you want to practice on the entire drumkit, I suggest buying mesh heads, silencers, or DW's Smart practice set of pads- 4 pads plus one for the pedals, all on one stand. Otherwise you'll have to stick with a practice pad. I believe that sticking things into your drums will never mute them enugh that no one will notice that you play and it will also make you hate your drums :)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:52 am

Yeah, go for mesh heads because muffling won't silence your drums as much as you want
dim my eyes if they should compromise
screamkevin

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:33 am

Cyanide,

The guys are right. It's a shame, but muffling is really not an option, since you'll still get the impact of the stick on the plastic drumhead. Mesh heads are really the way to go for you, either that or an inexpensive set of electronic drums.

That said, there is something to be said about "head practice" or "Air drumming". Sure, you look like a fool, but you'll find yourself practicing in your head the right way, playing the songs perfectly every time. And that does translate to when you get on the kit. Your head will know what to do, then it's just a matter of translating that to your body.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!!
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
CyanideBreathmint
new
new

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:42 am

Thanks, I'll look into the mesh heads.