Tension Rods Coming Loose

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

haylo
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:04 pm

I'm starting to realize that after my band plays a few rehearsals, my toms start sounding crappy. Invariably, I check the tension rods, and there is a loose one on every tom, that apparently has spun away from tension...and I have to try to tighten it back to where it was.

At first I thought it was because I like the toms tuned low--maybe that the rods weren't terribly tight to begin with. But then I remember that back when I was playing a different kit, and I had the heads kinda tight, the same thing would happen.

I guess this is pretty common? I often see drummers at shows pulling out the ol' drum key between songs...

Funny thing is, I play a DW Pacific kit that has the "True Pitch" rods. These tension rods have more threads than normal, and are supposedly the same ones they use on their DW kits. Just wondering if them loosening is something we have to live with, or do you guys know of a solution?

I heard that Yamaha puts a nylon sleeve around their rods to keep them in place. To me this seems like it would be harder to tune accurately, but I don't know....
gumby
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:48 pm

Go pick up a roll of Teflon tape...the stuff that plumbers use on their pipe threds...it comes in a white plastic case and the tape is white...anyway...roll 1 layer on your threds not 2 but 1...that should fix ya up...does me...anymore questions hit me up at www.mysoace.com/sin_for_me
KEEP IT SICK BUT REAL
gumby
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:49 pm

www.myspace.com/sin_for_me ...cant type and read at same time...woot
KEEP IT SICK BUT REAL
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:06 pm

Nylon washers do help.

I've had the problem from time-to-time and it usually goes away or I find that I just tuned that one tension rod poorly.

Check the threads on you rods and in the lugs. They could be slightly imperfect enough to be causing the problem. You may be able to just switch a few tension rods around and everything will be fine. All that stuff is made with some tolerance for error and you just happen to have a combo that's on the tolerance extremes.

Also make sure the drum isn't hitting or rubbing on anything else. That could do it too.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:42 pm

never had that before. i prefere low to mid tension. anyways good luck with your prob.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:17 pm

i had a pacific cx kit with the true tension rods and i never had that problem and i had my heads tuned pretty low. I dont know...
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:01 pm

Lug Locks work... Cheap too!

http://www.luglock.com/luglock.htm
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:58 am

zen_drummer wrote:Lug Locks work... Cheap too!

http://www.luglock.com/luglock.htm

nylon washers werk well too and don`t take away frm the look of yer kit (if that`s important to you).
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
Multibomber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:18 am

Gee, what can I do to "lock" my lugs in place, hmmm... I dont know... LUG LOCKS!!! Yes Zen Drummer got it right. Lug Locks are the best! I have one on every single lug on my kit and it NEVER comes out of tune.
Gazdkw82§
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:33 am

i had a friend who used nylon washers on his snare and it keeps going out of tune. when he took a closer look the tension rods where so tight they where squashing the nylon washers. i guess they prob work well with low tension like bass drums or big toms but for snare and small toms id used lug locks
AugustHouseDrums
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:01 am

I have the same problem with my Spaun snare and I just put Lug Locks on it and haven't had a problem since.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:09 am

Just keep a drum key handy and fine tune between songs.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:03 pm

Dale wrote:Just keep a drum key handy and fine tune between songs.

I always wear a drumkeyon a leash and when I play I stick it on one of the tension screws on my snare. Doesn't rattle etc and comes very handy.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
youknowitssick
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:56 pm

you're always going to find the rods coming loose in the area of the drum that has the most impact.