Zildjian or Sabian

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

drummerkev
new
new

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:05 pm

seriously . . . both. I love both to much to only choose one.
Actor and music and drum obsessed. I love all drummers, Rock, Metal, Jazz, R&B. I joined to learn more about drums.
insaneshayne
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:32 pm

Yeah, I just picked up a Hand Hammered HHX the other day and I have to say WOW. Damn nice. Explosive but not brash....
But as for the comment about the Wuhan's, yeah, I had a great ride for a while. Very nice! I've got a set of Istambul hi-hats (I don't even know who makes these....???) and they're the cleanest, crispest hats I've played in a while. Not great for my hardcore stuff, but awesome for jazz and funk stuff.
bmann36
new
new

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:18 pm

Sabian, for me. They take a heck of a beaten . :shock:
Bmann36,
Pearl Drums,
DW pedals,
Aqurian Drumstick's
Sabian cymbal's
Daneman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:37 pm

Like someone else mentioned, the lines and models are very similar- for most Zildjians there is a Sabian counterpart somewhere in their line and vice versa. Not much to differentiate the two in my opinion. After all, Sabian was founded by one of the Zildjian brothers.....

If comparing the "Big Three," Sabian and Zildjian sound pretty similar, with Paiste being much brighter and pingier to my ear. Personally, I'm an Istanbul Mehmet guy myself......
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:11 pm

It was impossible for me to choose the last time I bought new cymbals, so I got some of each, and they sound great together.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
alexforwood
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:50 pm

OK, well it really is a matter of preference. Take a look at the endorsement list of either conmpany. Zildjian has Rob Bourdon to Alex Acuna, Sabian has Chad Smith to Travis Smith

Sabian (AAX)...
Drumming Kit List

Pearl Drums
Sabian Cymbals
DW Pedals
Zildjian Sticks
Metal Brain
FastEddie
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:05 pm

fucking zildjian thats all that needs to be said.
wishing to be signed
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:31 pm

insaneshayne wrote:I've got a set of Istambul hi-hats (I don't even know who makes these....???)

The Istanbul brand was established by two cymbalsmiths, Mehmet Tamdeger and Agop Tomurcuk. These cymbals were first exported to the USA in 1984, first under the name "Zildjiler" and soon afterwards they changed the name to "Istanbul". When Agop died in 1997, Mehmet took over the factory, and the cymbals it makes are now sold as "Istanbul Mehmet". Agop's family members re-established a factory a bit later and they are called "Istanbul Agop". Both factories produce world-class cymbals well worth having.

Mehmet claims to have learned cymbal making from Mikhail Zilcan (a variant of the Zildjian name), the grandson of Kerope Zilcan after whom the Zildjian K series is named. In the 1950s, he worked in the K. Zildjian factory in Istanbul.

If you think those Istanbul's are good now, In 40 years those babies are gonna SING.... hang on to them!
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:08 pm

HokkaidoJDM wrote:
Rob Crisp wrote:Tricky.. I've got Zildjian but have friends with Sabian... it really was close as to which I bought when I upgraded.

Same here, but I ended up going with Zildjian; I haven't regretted it at all!

Me either, I love my A Customs! I have absolutely no complaints.
huijibo
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:27 am

Well its a hard decision, but personally I think the crash and ride has to be zildjian, but most other cymals id say sabian.
My china and splash are both sabian and there ace, but then my zildjian crash's and ride make the kit sound more funky.

Overall I think I'd go with Zildjian
Dont be n00b
laterZZ
Parrenze
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:28 pm

I dont no theres just something about Zildjian cymbals that makes me prefer them. I just love the sound of Z Customs...
Mainiacdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:24 pm

zildjian, but sabian has a really nice sounding china
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:22 pm

Both brands are of the same family. Sabian/Zildjian, Zildjian/Sabian. It's all the same to me. I remember when both brothers worked together and Sabian didn't even exist.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
WhiteOleander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:49 pm

UFIP! =D but otherwise Zildjian
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:53 am

i love my sabians. i love the modern sounds that the sabian aax cymbals make and the hh line is absolutely amazing. zildjians dont do it for me so im going with sabian.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.