Playing Fast Highhat Notes

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:54 pm

My band and I play some metallica songs and quite a few of them have really quick 8th note high hat beats. Whenever I play them my wrist and arm have a tendency to tighten up and make it really really tiring to play.

So I need some help. Is there like a different grip I could use or a rudiment to practice or something to stop my right arm from tensing up? How do you guys get around it?
drummert2k

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:07 am

practice, biuld your muscles. and play relaxed. let the stick rebound off the cymbals rather than trying to physicaly put every noye in with your wrist and arms. sounds like its time to work the fingers
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:18 am

Two biggest things are keeping yourself loose and relaxed and utilize the rebound of the stick.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
getsdead
new
new

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:16 am

What I've found helps me with faster hi-hat beats is wrist movement. I would suggest working on any rudiments that involves double strokes and work on wrist flexibility.
"Rather be forgotten than remembered for getting in."
gumby
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:34 am

its all about the bounce...its kinda like doing a press roll on the snare...your over working youself way to much...relax...try choking up on the sticks a bit...leave about 1inch hanging out of the bottom of your hand...also try lowering you hit-hats a bit....that way the stick isnt hitting flat on them...and you can get the tip of the stick to hit....if these dont work...post again...i have a few more tricks i can tell ya...or hit me up on my myspace at www.myspace.com/sin_for_me
KEEP IT SICK BUT REAL
gumby
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:13 am

here ya go...look at the placement of the sticks and how he uses the bounce...
<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=616366068">Benny Greb</a><br><embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=616366068&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed><br><a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.addToProfileConfirm&videoid=616366068&title=Benny Greb">Add to My Profile</a> | <a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.home"> More Videos</a>
KEEP IT SICK BUT REAL
euan247
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:00 am

u spelt Hi-Hat wrong :P
:)
gumby
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:21 am

lol...yeah i noticed after it was already up..lol
KEEP IT SICK BUT REAL
Howepirate

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:16 am

finger technique and moeller<excuse spelling> are good to use mixed with learnin up on that bounce make it solid check out benny grebs stuff on youtube.com you'll see some good hat techniques in a few of his solos and whatnot
veklynvhyz
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:50 am

there is an exercise i was taught that is very good for building chops and will work wonders for what youre trying to accomplish... its called improving.... an instructor of mine was taught this exercise by Ralph Hardaman himself... the exercise works by doing 8th notes and accenting on 1 and 3, you do the exercise on a pillow of something w/ no rebound to ensure youre using your wrist muscles, after a couple of min doing that you want to start accenting on 1, 2, 3 and 4, theyre called bucks... then if your arms havent already falled off you do all up, accent every note...

i hope this helps in any way and remember drummers do it better
HEVY KEVY
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:57 pm

I was faced with this problem when I learned Wrath Child from Iron Maiden. Most people play it with two hands,Clive Burr played it with one hand on the hihat!
Use a metronome, or the radio and just keep practicing and using different stickings. If you play a paradiddle starting wtith the left hand, the right hand will be available for the 2 and 4 notes on the snare for example.
sticksNhands
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:30 am

Everyone here has great advice. There is a lot that can be solved by learning how to take advantage of the rebound. And the suggestion about practicing on a pillow is great. Do all your rudiments, especially double strokes, on an object with no rebound. If you can play with open single and double strokes rather than pressing, you will sound much cleaner and more metronomic.

Make sure also that when you're holding your stick, you're grip is at or around the balance point, you should almost be able to rest the stick on one finger and have it balance by itself. This will maximise function and speed. Remember that in order to play fast everything has to work in the most econimical way it can.

A couple other tools that help with speed are stick weights. Another is Roland's Rhythm Coach. This is an electric V-drum with a metronome attached to it. It has all kinds of amazing programs to help with time subdivision and speed. Maybe combine the weights with this or the pillow, or hell all three together. Good luck man.
"Build a shining city on top of a hill"
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:23 pm

I have that problem sometimes, but luckily i learned to play open handed, and i can go just as fast with my left hand as i can with my right, so that kind of gets rid of the problem, if you feel like learning that, or you can just try and relax a bit more, that used to help me somewhat.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
WhiteOleander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:37 pm

yup I know what you mean, I was in a Metallica coverband and id only been playing half a year back then so i got EXTREMELY tired.. just stay loose though and let the stick bounce, that worked for me atleast.. now my problems dropping the stick cuz i play too loose =p
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:37 pm

As a lot of guys have said: relax. That will literally almost double your speed and endurance by itself.

Play, play, play, play, play. Do nothing but play fast. You'll get used to it and believe it or not, everything that you think is fast now will seem normal speed. All this really does is build up your fast twitch muscle fibers. You've got plenty of slow twitch muscle fibers to supply blood to you fast twitch(since they don't have their own direct blood supply), so just work on your fast twitch fibers.
You have to keep this up though since it's muscle building. I used to think blast beats were fast. I played them a lot and they became very easy. I haven't played them in a while and I'm really really slow again. Gotta keep it up.

And my last tip comes from seeing Lars play live... GET PISSED OFF MAN!!! IT'S EFFING METAL!!! Getting pissed off is key to playing Metallica's stuff... just prepare to break lots of sticks, heads, cymbals, lugs, hardware... ok, don't get too pissed off.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)