Learning on cheap or good...

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Is it better to start on a cheap or good drumset?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:53 pm

Cheap
71%
Expensive/ Good
29%

Total votes: 14
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:27 am

I personally, say start cheap. I mainly started out with a Tama Swingstar Kit(still use), with an 18" Zildjian Planet Z Crash Ride(still use), and old Swingstar hi-hat stand with Planet Z Hi-hats that I do not have anymore.... It has been almost 4 years now that I've had the set, and I gotta say, it's good, however I have done some replacements, that are good ideas if you want to know the downside to low-quality.

Replaced my HP-10 Kick pedal with a friend's Tama Iron Cobra Jr for $25 instead of $60. ^_^ He uses a double kick DW 7000, not bad at all!

Also just for Christmas, I got a Tama Iron Cobra HH-905 Hi-hat stand, which I must say, is AWESOME, considering I was getting it to replace what used to be my friend's before I traded to him my old stand. He gave me a CODA stand and hi-hats(which I still have).

I had also gotten from him, a 16" CODA Crash, and a CODA Boom stand. The crash didn't sound amazing, nor terrible, but it met it's end when it started cracking more and more. So I replaced it and it's stand with a 16" Sabian Vault Crash and a Tama Roadpro Boom stand. Both of which work much better.

In terms of the lessons, I took about 4-5 months worth, however I dropped my teacher because he was a MAJOR monotone. So I could not stand it anymore. >.>

So yes, start big, if you keep interested, as I have and many others, THEN start adding on stuff and putting forth more cash for the really nice stuff.
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
WhiteOleander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:59 am

haha I believe a good drummer can sound good on any set, not just a huge expensive one.. generally id say go for something simple and affordable, yet good enough to last you a long time once you become a decent drummer, so you dont just throw it away immediately and spend another load of money on a new set
RetardeDrummer666
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:17 pm

i say good all the way....i started out on a bad one(CB....300$) and i regret it, becuase when i started to get ok, i relized it sounded like shit, not me, my drums...and i can't affor a new one...so get a good one to start out with...
shirleythewerewolf
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:40 pm

I agree with everyone that said go cheap, and then when you know you're going to stick with it and you've gotten reasonably good, shell out the money on a good kit.
l_e_i_g_h
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:18 pm

Well said. :D

Another option for those who are agonizing whether or not to buy a kit...and which kit to buy...you can always go to the option of not buying at all....just buy what you need.

i.e.

1.) if your a beginner and want to take lessons...your might just need a practice pad and a metronome.

2.) If your already in the know and need to gig around town, maybe a snare, pedal, and some cymbals would help if you know that the venues you would be playing at would have a "house kit"

3.) Buying nice pillows for practice. :)

Anyway...those are just some. I guess it's always up to the person spending the money. Sometimes you learn your lesson (and find out that you spent too much on something that didn't evolve the way you did).

Lastly...talk to people who's (musical) opinion you trust. Remember...that kit your planning to buy may be perfect for that drummer you admire...but wouldn't be so beneficial to your playing.

Shalaq wrote:If you're a beginner, you don't know what you want. You'll spend something like 3K$ on a standard high end kit and it will turn out later that this is completely different sounding from what you want to sound.
Start with a simple, quality entry level kit- maybe not one of those budget kits with crappy hardware, but still something you won't regret you buy and you'll be happy playing.
It's "Lei" not "Lee"