Advice on brands

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

gonflyn
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:25 pm

Hi,

Just getting back in to drumming after years away, considering a mid level kit to just to practice on. Looking at some of the larger drum rock kits that some companies are offering recently. Would like your opinions on some of the low/mid price kits out there, specifically:

Ludwig Accent series
Mapex Pro M series
Tama Superstar series
Gretsch Catalina Club series

Anyone own any of these. Likes, Dislikes? What is the general
concensus on the value, hardware, lugs, shells, anything else?

Much appreciated, thank you!
pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:39 pm

while I can't really compare them, having only heard the catalinas, i can say that after hearing those it made me want to go out and get a set. They sound absolutely beautiful, esp for their price range. This is probably due to the traditional African mahogany used for the shells, which has a really nice warm punch to it. A lot of entry/mid range sets are made of a lesser mahogany or mahogany/basswood combo, and it's noticeable.
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:58 pm

One of my kits is a Pro M. I use it live and love it. It's not the best maple out there but it sounds great for the price. I'll buy another one this year for the wife. ;-)
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
gonflyn
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:28 pm

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming! Alien, the Gretsch was one
of two that I tried and I really liked the sound of it. The other was the Mapex, definately a brighter crack, dont know if I liked it or not,
aw gee............i dunno...................
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:49 am

the uni im at just bought a pro m. i think its shit because the school is well loaded and they buy a mid priced kit. anyways the kit it self is great if tuned properly. just used it for recording an EP for my band. id go for it tune it up nice and you'll be all set. can pick one up for about £600 or less prob. good luck.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
tamadrumr50
new
new

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:05 am

pphunk wrote:while I can't really compare them, having only heard the catalinas, i can say that after hearing those it made me want to go out and get a set. They sound absolutely beautiful, esp for their price range. This is probably due to the traditional African mahogany used for the shells, which has a really nice warm punch to it. A lot of entry/mid range sets are made of a lesser mahogany or mahogany/basswood combo, and it's noticeable.
African mahagany? is a term they use wich almost like false advritising!!! The wood is LAUANE yes this the way they made the older TAMA lowerend drums philipine mahagany >>>WANT A GREAT KIT? TAMA SUPERSTARS!! Where can U get a kit that is mostly BIRTCH/DIECAST hoops? I would say the little of the STARCLASSIC line as i own a few of each BIG BANG for your BUCK hand down
AugustHouseDrums
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:59 pm

I own a Catalina Birch. It's well worth the money for it. Gretsch considers is a semi-pro kit but I don't know why, it sounds beautiful! I wouldn't go for anything less than birch or maple.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:55 pm

I've heard nothing but good reviews for the Catalina and the Superstar. The best way to decide would be to actually play all the kits your considering. Just go down to the store and ask them to play the kits. If they want a sale, they'll let you play. Sometimes I go to Guitar Center and tell them I want to buy a kit just so I don't have to wait for the asshole on the electronic kit to get off after playing for an hour and a half.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
paiste01
new
new

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:16 am

they all are good kits but it need to be based off of personal enjoyment. Take your sticks to a drum shop and I mean your stricks, and test ever kit in the store and try to isolate a single drum preferably one in 12' diameter. It seems to have the best resonace and tonality. Also take what the room consist of, wood floors, tile, carpet, etc. After you find one that rings to your desire incorparate into the kit and play a good solid beat with little or no cymbal strikes. Do not try and show off it wikll hinder your ability to focus.

Good Luck

Oh yeah I recommend DW or PDP
evolusean13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:05 am

i own a superstar. i love it. its a loud birch kit. great colors. nice punch.
drummer4hire
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:51 pm

tamadrumr50 wrote: >>>WANT A GREAT KIT? TAMA SUPERSTARS!! Where can U get a kit that is mostly BIRTCH/DIECAST hoops? I would say the little of the STARCLASSIC line as i own a few of each BIG BANG for your BUCK hand down

I agree with you, I've got a tama superstar kit that's around 26 years old (birch). These kits are amazing....
Daily seeking glorious rock majesty
Daniel W
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:01 pm

those are good sets. the Gretsche are especialy nice. i highly recomend a DDRUM midrange kit. like one of their ash or maple Dominion kits. reasonably priced very worth the cash. the Catalinas are prolly one of your best choices though.. excelent kits
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:03 pm

I've personally never had good luck with Ludwigs.

I love the Mapex stuff. The ProM and M birch both look and sound great. Mapex gets my vote.

I'm assuming the Superstars are just a little nicer than the Rockstars were. The Rockstars are pretty durable and sounded decent with good tuning.

I hear good stuff about Gretsch, but I also hear they're a bit expensive.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
kelvinislord
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:09 am

I really dont like the Superstars, I had to play them at this battle of the bands thing and i though they were terrible, but thats just me.

i also dont thing it is a very visually appealing kit.

Id go with the Gretsch or the Pro M
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:28 pm

gonflyn wrote:Hi,

Just getting back in to drumming after years away, considering a mid level kit to just to practice on. Looking at some of the larger drum rock kits that some companies are offering recently. Would like your opinions on some of the low/mid price kits out there, specifically:

Ludwig Accent series
Mapex Pro M series
Tama Superstar series
Gretsch Catalina Club series

Anyone own any of these. Likes, Dislikes? What is the general
concensus on the value, hardware, lugs, shells, anything else?

Much appreciated, thank you!

I think the best value for money kits today are the Pacific maple kits. I played a set the other week and it sounded great. I actually liked it more than the top of the line DW sets.

As for those you mention, I think the Catalina set is the best sounding.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones