Tama?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:57 am

what is your favorite sounding Tama drums?

Starclassic Maple?
Starclassic B/B?
Starclassic B/B EFX?

or perhaps one of the lower level models?... i want to know your opinions on Tama drums :roll:
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
tiffsboy
new
new

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:32 pm

I really like the Tama Rockstar Custom(discontinued) as I am a fan of the mahagony shells, but I would say for upper end go for the Starclassic Maple.
Grab your wood and bang!
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:51 pm

i'm looking into buying a Tama superstar kit, whats are everyone's thoughts on these kits?
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:56 pm

superstars are excellent sets. i personally like the performers and the bubingas (id really like to try a full set thats set up right, but from what ive heard theyre awesome) but the superstars are amazing drums for the money. if you cant spring for the performers then the superstars are an excellent choice.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:34 pm

I know it's all about money at the end of the day, but i just bought a Starclassic Performer Birch Bubinga and it's got some serious balls! It's also got some great tones to it when required too.

I love it and am SO glad I chose that kit. I couldn't be happier!
WingsOfMajesty
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:35 pm

I bought the Starclassic Maple kit some months ago, and I can't imagine playing on anything else.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:44 pm

I currently have 100% birch Performers and love them to death. I don't think I'll ever want to sell them. Great quality(I have an older, Japanese model), stunning finish, lots of tone and power.
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Gazdkw82§
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:24 pm

tama make food shells but there service sucks. i ordered a starclassic in custom sizes and the delivery just kept getting put back and after 7 months i lost patience. i purchased a DW instead out of frustration
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:17 pm

I've got the 9-piece double bass Rockstar set with an extra 8" tom and I thought it sounded great until I played a Starclassic Maple.
...but if I got a new set, and could afford any line, I'd go with birch.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:39 am

I have a Swingstar set....
=(
I don't have the money.... *sigh*
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:48 am

my Granstars are making me happy in the studio right now~
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:52 am

phoenix7289 wrote:I have a Swingstar set....
=(

swingstars can sound great with the right heads and tuning...dont be ashamed to play a low end set when you can blow people away with the sound. a lot of people complemented me on my set when i changed the heads to coated g2s/g1s. the toms are deep and punchy and the bass with the emad is powerful and boomy. the snare is the weakest point on the set but my spaun covers that....
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:33 am

anavrinIV wrote:
phoenix7289 wrote:I have a Swingstar set....
=(

swingstars can sound great with the right heads and tuning...dont be ashamed to play a low end set when you can blow people away with the sound. a lot of people complemented me on my set when i changed the heads to coated g2s/g1s. the toms are deep and punchy and the bass with the emad is powerful and boomy. the snare is the weakest point on the set but my spaun covers that....

Well I don't use the snare. I bought an Artwood. My tom toms, no matter how much I tighten them, always want to just fall kinda... down, and end up hitting the bass drum... *sigh* I personally would rather have AT LEAST a rockstar... but I'll go for a superstar. Because the swingstar doesn't have the Starcast mounting or w.e for the tom-toms. And I do need new heads.
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:23 am

phoenix7289 wrote:My tom toms, no matter how much I tighten them, always want to just fall kinda... down, and end up hitting the bass drum....

It sounds like you have some stripping in the threads. You should be able to get this fixed by the tech at a drum shop.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Drumminggrunt13
new
new

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:03 pm

i would prefer to play a starclassic the sound of the kit was amazing
~Monk~