Best Way to Clean Cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Buddylee78
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:08 am

I have a brilliant finish zildjian crash and then the regular (?) finish sweet ride -
after 130 shows this year they've got some wear and some weird stains on them -
any ideas on cleaning it off? i've tried quite a bit but nothing seems to work 100% and i've heard that cymbal cleaner they sell at stores doesn't do much at all -

thanks
Brian
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:02 pm

Well after a cymbal gets that bad I honestly couldn't tell you how to clean it. I clean mine after every show and spray them with a car detail wax and my cymbals look like the day i got them.
screamkevin

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:54 pm

Zims or Groove Juice works wonders. Just follow the directions.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:53 pm

well for my brilliant finish cymbals i use zildjian cymbal cleaner ever week. but i dont play zildjian cymbals lol. for my cheaper cymbals i use brass-o. if you dont clean them regularly the odds are you are going to have permanent discoloration to an extent.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
Jamell
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:08 pm

Some of the Jazz drummers I know rather keep the cymbol dirty then clean it. Sometimes when you use cleaner like Groove Juice it takes out some of the sound quality. Some jazz drummers also bury their cymbols in dirt to get a better sound, it's all on prefrence, I don't clean mine, nor do i bury it though. I think after you break a cymbol in, it starts to have a better tone, but like I said, all preference, maybe you wanna try it.
Cheers
-Tommy
www.vater.com
www.dwdrums.com
www.zildjian.com

-Remo Pinstripe
-Coated Ambassador
-Zildjian A custom
-DW 9000
-Vater
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:32 pm

Wrights Copper Cream...this brings em' back!!!

Breaking in a cymbal?....It's not a motor.

Cleaning em' loses sound quality?....You are off your rocker.

I've discussed this at length before;cymbals are clean when you get them...so,why do you (A)have to break em' in(does that mean the factory sells cymbals that aren't complete?)....they are ready to go from the time they come out of the factory!!! (B)you buy a certain series cymbal(s) because of how they sound(NEW)so,to keep that sound you must clean them....if not then they sound "darker" because of all the crap in the tonal grooves....jazz drummers need cymbals(& drums)to blend in the music,not jump out in front(ie;loose snares,brushes,thin sticks,ect...)that is why they "bury" their cymbals.

So,I bet you believe that you shoud let a bunch of crap get built up inside your drum shells too.....(so,they sound darker...as apposed to just getting mahogany shells....or Hand Hammered series cymbals).

Wake up and smell the amps!!!

Whoever told you all that stuff is a fool. :idea:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
drummerdoug70
new
new

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:35 pm

Believe it or not, I buy the sabian cymbal cleaner and it works really well. I get it at guitar center. It doesn't make them look like brand new but from the audience you can't tell the difference, they still shine like they are brand new.
tamadrumr50
new
new

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:38 pm

As I own a autobody shop!! I can take a piece of crap cymbal with 20 yrs of Crap on it !!! Make it look brand new better than NEW!! in less than 2 mins!!! and i dont care what any one will tell YOU BEEn DOIN it for 20rys!!! I use a light compound that i buff cars with on them at about 1500rpm MAN its the shizz ya can use it for mirror !! If any thing it makes them have a brighter sound and it doesent hurt the groves!!! NUF SAID
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:42 pm

tamadrumr50 wrote:As I own a autobody shop!! I can take a piece of crap cymbal with 20 yrs of Crap on it !!! Make it look brand new better than NEW!! in less than 2 mins!!! and i dont care what any one will tell YOU BEEn DOIN it for 20rys!!! I use a light compound that i buff cars with on them at about 1500rpm MAN its the shizz ya can use it for mirror !! If any thing it makes them have a brighter sound and it doesent hurt the groves!!! NUF SAID

I have heard of guys doing that before......as long as the RPMs aren't MASSIVE,that WILL do the job.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:35 pm

Try Flitz metal polish...maybe even that Flitz ball that goes on a power drill too.

It will take the labels off.

For the most part, I agree with downshifter99, but there is some stuff out there that whill eat up your cymbals and destroy them (so they obviously lost sound quality). I went to school with a kid who ruined all his cymbals with some cleaner. So as long as nobody else has melted their cymbals, then try what they use.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:40 pm

quikstang2 wrote:Try Flitz metal polish...maybe even that Flitz ball that goes on a power drill too.

It will take the labels off.

For the most part, I agree with downshifter99, but there is some stuff out there that whill eat up your cymbals and destroy them (so they obviously lost sound quality). I went to school with a kid who ruined all his cymbals with some cleaner. So as long as nobody else has melted their cymbals, then try what they use.
I swear that Wrights copper cream is better than any of those"cymbal"cleaners.

I've spent alot on my Sabian AA,AAX,HH,Effects cymbals....I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

Happy Hollidays!!! 8)
LayingGroovesJam
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:04 pm

I use the sabian cleaner, spray it on and make sure i coat the whole cymbal, then let it sit for about 30 to 40 secs, wipe em off, they look pretty good, bad spots needs more attention at times maybe a second soak is all thats needed.
The sabian logos will start to come off as well as other cymbals out there im sure, but its not about the manufacture name sticking out, its about the sound they make.
Peace,

Joel
LUDWIG
CS Custom eltite, Amber, 10,12,13,16,Toms
18x22 bass, speed King.
14 AA Med Hats, AA 10 splash, AAX 12 splash, Xs20 Med 20 ride, 16 Xs20 Crash, 16 B8 pro crash, AA 18 Fash china.
Remo
Sabain
Vater
Roc & Soc

IN works Octobans.
Buddylee78
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:14 pm

lol - look at what i've started! thanks for all the feedback -

i got all the other 'regular' finish (is there a correct name for that?) cymbals spotless with some spot cleaner stuff and a dish pad -

the brilliant finish is giving me a hell of a time - i have NO idea where these stains have come from either - i'm sure its water but i can't remember when that much got on there -

anyways - i'll give that copper cream a shot but i don't know where to find it -

and the auto body suggestion will be my next try after that -

thanks again guys -
Brian
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:00 pm

downshifter99 wrote:Wrights Copper Cream...this brings em' back!!!

Breaking in a cymbal?....It's not a motor.

Cleaning em' loses sound quality?....You are off your rocker.

I've discussed this at length before;cymbals are clean when you get them...so,why do you (A)have to break em' in(does that mean the factory sells cymbals that aren't complete?)....they are ready to go from the time they come out of the factory!!! (B)you buy a certain series cymbal(s) because of how they sound(NEW)so,to keep that sound you must clean them....if not then they sound "darker" because of all the crap in the tonal grooves....jazz drummers need cymbals(& drums)to blend in the music,not jump out in front(ie;loose snares,brushes,thin sticks,ect...)that is why they "bury" their cymbals.

So,I bet you believe that you shoud let a bunch of crap get built up inside your drum shells too.....(so,they sound darker...as apposed to just getting mahogany shells....or Hand Hammered series cymbals).

Wake up and smell the amps!!!

Whoever told you all that stuff is a fool. :idea:

Well I must be a fool.......My A Zildjians have never seen a thorough cleaning, and I have considered burying them, though I probably won't since I never have much time between gigs. Think about cymbals as another musical instrument, not just cymbals. I know were not talking guitars here, but any guitar player will tell you that a guitar's sound gets better with age and as it is strummed, the resonance causes the wood to compress and become more dense over time. That's why Martin guitars made 30 years ago sound better than new ones made of the same type of wood. Obviously their manufacturing process hasn't gotten crappy over the years. Time and wear, while not pretty can cause instruments to obtain unique and desireable (to some people) characteristics. It all depends on what works best for YOU....The only fools are people who call everyone with a different way of doing things fools. And BTW I don't play jazz, and while I do try to "blend in" with the other musicians (hey, it's a band, I'm not up here in front of a thousand people to play by myself!) I've never had a sound guy tell me that he couldn't hear my cymbals. Unless you're trying to compete with a bunch of Marshall stacks and are using no drum microphones, volume is not a problem and sound is a matter of what works for you and your band. And if you clean them purely for looks and like the sound you get from them, fine, just don't knock me and my beautifully dark, dirty A Zildjians.
yee freakin' haw
drum_masta
new
new

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:09 pm

I know this is off topic but does any one know ideas about taking rust off hardware?
Custom Set
Remo Ambasador
Zildjian A and Z custom
Tama Hardware