How do you stop yourself getting blisters from..

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

grey_fox
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:14 am

using stick wrap as i use it on my sticks for better control and to stop them flying away but i always seem to knacker my hands and get blisters on my fingers! really annoying, any tips?

Thanks
top drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:03 am

Try relaxing yourself and don't hold your sticks so tight.
keep on drummin!
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:50 am

top drummer wrote:don't hold your sticks so tight.

i agree, try to hold your sticks, just enough so they dont slip out of your hands, also frequently wipe your hands with a towel after each song u do if u can, the sweat on your hands will cause blisters quite fast
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
screamkevin

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:10 am

Wear gloves. I recommend Easton or Ziljdian.

I do. I tape my sticks (with baseball bat tape, you can get it at your friendly neighborhood sporting goods store, and you can get a 25-foot roll for the price of that Pro-mark or Easton CRAP.), and I wear drumming gloves to play so I don't get blisters.

You'll either need to do that, or play more so you develop callouses instead of blisters.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:17 am

yep, gloves is good!
I was getting blisters from using 4 sticks, and gloves did the trick.
Over time you can gradually build up calluses, and the gloves will keep you going till you do.

Have you tried Zildjian Dip sticks? Maybe the coating is less abrasive than tape? I'm not sure...
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:20 am

Guess i've played long enough that I don't get them anymore. I've used the zildjian dips and got blisters though.
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
screamkevin

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:28 am

It's not how long you play, it's how often. I've played drums for 33 years, but my current band only plays once or twice a month, and I don't get a chance to play much outside of that, so I wear the gloves, as my callouses are gone.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:12 am

i wouldn't recommend DIP sticks, they still give u blisters and they break FAST
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
m
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:19 am

I used Dips for 2 years and never broke one.
Only got blisters when holding them between my knuckles, 2 in each hand. Not so much a blister, I guess, as the skin rubbed away. ouch
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:44 am

I got harsh blisters from using dip sticks, I don't recommend them. Vater stick cheap is relatively cheap and really comfortable. I put it on my Lars Ulrich signature Aheads to protect the signatures and they improve my comfort with the sticks by a ton. They never slip out of my hands anymore.
robb_nightlife
new
new

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:20 am

I agree with the gloves advice if thats the way you want to go... however, some drummers have issues adjusting to gloves. In the past I've tried numerous gloves from Ziljian to Ahead and to be quite honest the best ones I've found have been Franklin baseball batting gloves...

That or I've seen a lot of drummers on the road use athletic tape on their fingers in spots where they get recurring blisters.

but then again, my best advice would just be work harder on your grip and listen to what your hands are telling you when you play for a while.
Wake The Light
http://www.myspace.com/wakethelight
Tama shells / Pearl hardware / Ziljian cymbals / Evans heads / Vic Firth sticks
Praying Hands
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:37 am

hahahaha i`ve used duct tape and it works alright for when u feel a blister forming
drummert2k

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:27 am

if you practice enough and work up callouses (and also play properly) you shouldnt have a problem. its like guitar player toughening up the tips of their fingers. after playing for a while they callous up and you wont have problems as long as you practice frequently enough that they dont soften up. or if you just hold your stick anyway you feel then you might want to just brush up on some techniques and grips. playing properly and frequently will help keep you from getting blisters
Flatliner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:30 pm

what drummert2k said. Its been so long I can't remember when I had a blister. But if you have to play with blisters, band-aids are a god-send.
markt36264
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:56 pm

This may sound crazy but it works for me. Don't use anything that would cause friction. Dipped sticks and grip tape all add friction which you would think helps you hold on to the sticks. The extra friction is what causes the blisters.

You need to learn to play with a relaxed grip. Back when marching, my hands would get so sweaty in a performance, I was afraid of dropping sticks in a show. During rehearsal, I would never sweat as much so I was unprepared for the slippery sticks in the performance. I did some individual practice with lotion or oil on my sticks to get used to them being slippery. I was able to develop a more relaxed grip that allowed me to hold on to the sticks in a performance and not have the friction that caused blisters. If you have a problem spot on say one finger, put some medical type tape on the finger, not the stick.

Jacksonville State Marching Southerners Snare '87-'90
Spirit of Atlanta 36" Bass '87, Snare '88-'90, Staff '91-92
Drumset 1981-present