doublebass skills

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

seandude
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:51 pm

im getting a 5000 for christmass(dw) or a pearlwhatever

how do you devolup(spelling) skills as double bass how do i become a good player
safe sex is in the palm of your hand
drummert2k

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:56 pm

practice. learn good technique right from the beginning. otherwise you're gonna need to go back and re teach yourself. practice rudiments with your feet, get a snare book you have from like the firat 2 years of drumming and play though the book with your feet. basically whatever you would practice with your hands practice with your feet. and posture is a key here also.
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:06 pm

To play quickly and in time, get a metronome and play triplets (almost 100% of metal songs have triplet beats, not full 4 beats) with your feet, highhat on the first beat of the first triplet, then highhat and snare on the first beat of the second, and so on forever.

Everytime you get really comfortable with one speed (comfortable enough to play that speed locked in without the metronome) then jack up the speed by 25 bpm or something (whatever works for you).

Make sure you have everything locked in though, your feet should be solidly in the same position on the pedals, not flying everywhere, and you should be really solid, no mistakes, before you jack up the speed.

Only way really to increase your speed.
Flatliner

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:03 pm

I'd also reccomend you check out a book on double bass drumming, there's only a few of them out there and pretty much all of them are good places to start. You might also be really interested in something like Thomas Lang's DVD "creative control", that will blow your mind and if you actually go through all the exercises your double chops will be great. I haven't gotten Lang's new DVD "creative cordination" just yet so I don't know anything on it.

Whithout any of that though I'd say just get a metronome put on about 80 and just slowly start doing 16th's and 8th note triplets with your feet and add the hands when you get comfortable. learning double bass is a lot like when you first started to learn how to play the drums, but it doesn't take to long to get used to it.
dahlgrendrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Developing your single bass drum technique first and then getting into double bass will help with your creativity and vastly improve your speed. One thing I do as an exersise is play all my right foot parts with my left for practice, it really helps dexterity and independence.
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:46 am

To do more complicated stuff, once you have the quarter-notes and triplets down, try dropping beats out of the pattern - it turns out that for double bass it's much harder to stop and start then it is to keep chugging (riding a bike for a mile is easy for your legs, sprinting back and forth is hard).
shirleythewerewolf
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:03 pm

Practice, practice, practice. One thing that I always do is I'll only use my double pedal for patterns or a fast fill; basically whenever I need it, because too many of my friends got kind of lazy when they got their double pedal, and they need their double pedal to play a lot of things that I play on a single.
Bruellhanz
new
new

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:50 am

first of all - i apologize for my bad english skills, i'm new at this forum..;)

well, i've made the experience learning complicated patterns on double bass is the best way to improve your double bass skills. you have to concentrate on your weak foot and not just try to play as fast as you can with both feet...
a good practise to get your weak foot up to speed is the beginning bass drum pattern of "slave labor" by fear factory.. at the beginning, that was fuckin challenging for me, but it works out;)
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:00 pm

I'd have to say getting thomas lang's new DVD "creative cordination" would be all you need. The first disc (about 3 hours I think) is all foot technique, just print out the PDF files and start going through the exercises, I had decent chops before I started to work these exercises but my left foot has really improved since.
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:04 am

I have found that it's best to begin with the left foot (for right handed drummers)
For 16ths, the left would play 1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a
LRLR LRLR LRLR LRLR

OR

TRIPLETS (8TH + TWO 16THS) 1 AND A, 2 AND A, 3 AND A, 4 AND A
L R R L R R L R R L R R

snare on 2 and 4

this is a start :wink:
raven_the_reaper
new
new

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:40 pm

Practice not only on your pedals, but when you're sitting down also. Try play straight 8th notes just on the floor heel up or heel down. I do this during class all the time and it eventually builds up your speed and technique. It may not feel the same as a real bass pedal, but it's shure as hell on the go practicing.
Let Chaos Reign
meta L ucas
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:12 am

LOTS AND LOTS OF PRACTICE. try this starting at 150 bpm, RRR LLL RRR LLL LLL RRR LLL RRR RRR LLL RRR LLL LLL RRR LLL RRR / RRRR LLLL RRRR LLLL LLLL RRRR LLLL RRRR RRRR LLLL RRRR LLLL LLLL RRRR LLLL RRRR, ECT. GO FROM 3 ON EACH FOOT TO 4, THEN TO 6, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 32, 48, 64, AND THEN PLAY ALL 16THs (RLRLRLRL) FOR ABOUT 3 MINS EACH. YOU'LL BE HURTIN BUT, IN THE NEXT DAY OR TWO, YOU CAN MOVE UP. GO A LITTLE FASTER. MAYBE AN EXTRA 10 OR 15 BPM. KEEP IT CONSISTENT. KEEP MOVIN UP. GOIN FASTER. YOU'LL HAVE THE DOULE BASS GOIN ON IN MONTHS. GET BACK AT ME ON THAT.
double bass ludwig classic maples. blastbeats over swiss triplets.
mattdoesrock
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:34 pm

Like what drummert2k said, posture is very important. You want to try and sit up right, and not slouch. At first this may seem abit awkward (that is if you dont already) but I found that it came naturally with time.

Also dont try to bite off more than you can chew at first. Start slow and easy, nothing complex or really fast - doing that will mean that you'll most likely fail and get frustrated. Another thing to keep in mind is that you will get better - dont be impatient.

Good luck.
To those who understand, I extend my hand, To the Devil I command, Take me as I am.
scepticILL
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

My advice:

Incorporate all the techniques into your playing - heel-toe, heel up, heel down, swivel...
drummerboy1991
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:39 pm

when i first got my Gibraltar Intruder double bass, i realized my right foot was much better than left because i only had a single pedal before. one thing i did was learn how to control my left foot more and only working on it for some time until my feet were about equal. then i put combinations together with patterns, speed, and stickings( i guess u still call it tht even tho its not sticks) but anyway that was my developement
www.myspace.com/drumming101
TAMA Superstar 5-pc Brushed Vintage Blue
TAMA Hardware
Vater, Vic-Firth
Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals
Evans Heads- EC2(clears), Genera dry, EMAD