How long have you been playing drums?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

katemate
new
new

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:09 pm

I am in my 50's and I have been playing for 2 years. I have a Pearl kit. My only regret would be that if I get to the end of my life and never got to live my dream. I took up the drums as a kid in the 60's and was told that chicks don't play drums :? I gave up my dream! until my four musician sons left home and now people tell me to turn the music down :lol: .....I reckon it is either in your heart or it's not and my heart was always longing to play. I play and practice every day, go for lessons every week and am makng the most of living my dream.

Oh I get the smirks and the snide remarks but guess who gets to live their passion. 8)
This 50ish chick is rockin her lil old heart out with a passion and paradiddling her way to heaven!
Damian Saint
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:33 pm

I have been playing for 17 years this coming February. It has been an amzing ride. Oh and for new drummers out there who think they are above learning from others (teachers your fellow drummers both male and ladies) I just have to say that because I took lessons for 6 years and still look for them whenever I can even though I teach now, I as a drummer of only 17 years will be able to drum til Im 90 and play all I know even then, because I learned to do it the right way, and listened to my elder brothers AND sisters. Just some free advice from now..one of the old guys haha. "Drums can be so much more than just hitting stuff."
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:05 am

katemate wrote:I am in my 50's and I have been playing for 2 years. I have a Pearl kit. My only regret would be that if I get to the end of my life and never got to live my dream. I took up the drums as a kid in the 60's and was told that chicks don't play drums :? I gave up my dream! until my four musician sons left home and now people tell me to turn the music down :lol: .....I reckon it is either in your heart or it's not and my heart was always longing to play. I play and practice every day, go for lessons every week and am makng the most of living my dream.

Oh I get the smirks and the snide remarks but guess who gets to live their passion. 8)
This 50ish chick is rockin her lil old heart out with a passion and paradiddling her way to heaven!

Seeing and hearing things like this always make me smile. I think that is truly amazing and I'm glad to hear you've picked it up. Proof that it's never too late. Keep it up! :D
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:25 pm

Somewhere in the range of 25 to 30 years. I can't remember exactly because I began with pencils.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:28 pm

katemate wrote:I am in my 50's and I have been playing for 2 years. I have a Pearl kit. My only regret would be that if I get to the end of my life and never got to live my dream. I took up the drums as a kid in the 60's and was told that chicks don't play drums :? I gave up my dream! until my four musician sons left home and now people tell me to turn the music down :lol: .....I reckon it is either in your heart or it's not and my heart was always longing to play. I play and practice every day, go for lessons every week and am makng the most of living my dream.

This is awesome! I am so happy for you that you finally got to pick up the sticks. Just remember something I think is important. It's not the years you play but the hours. Put in the practice and anything's possible.

GO FOR IT!
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Lee Kelley
new
new

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:26 pm

At this point...31 years this month.....16 or 17 of those as a professional working drummer.

Started playing when I was 7...got my first kit at 10....Parents wanted to make sure it wasn't a phase. Guess not...it is now my living and I STILL LOVE IT.

Any day you get to play is a good day.
Keep groovin',
Lee

www.myspace.com/leewkelley

Endorsements: Taye Drums, Sabian Cymbals, Evans Heads, Promark Sticks, Futz Practice Pedals
katemate
new
new

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:31 pm

Thanks heaps for the support. Yeah I am making up for lost time. I practice, practice and practice on the kit at every opportunity. I just can't get enough drum time and when I am not at the kit I am watching tv with my practice pad in front of me. I tap tap tap in the car, the bench top and in my sleep.....I am obsessed and lovin it with a passion. I feel more alive now than I ever have in my life.
When I grow up I am gonna jam with the big boys.
craig32_09
new
new

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:57 pm

i started when i was eight so its been eight years. time flys when ur jammin out.
craig#32
Justino
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:18 pm

i got started when i was about 4 with a pad n sticks but i got seriouse at 7 and i am now 16. so about 9 years seriously but i have know that drums were my instrument for 12 years.
drummerboi
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:52 pm

bout' 15 yrs...... and i'm not stoping any time this life time
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:23 am

it will be three years at the end of this Fall.
Vetis
Shawn Thacker
new
new

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:45 pm

started when i was 16 and been playing 18 years, i should really be a lot better!!!
UKHC
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:43 am

Coming up 4 years. Most fun ive had ever.
Destroy the Opposition
Stoned Gerbil
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:33 am

I started playin when I was 12. I'm 24 now so thats 12 years! Although there was a 2 year gap from the ages 16 to 18 where I didn't play at all! This was only due to me having to sell my kit! As soon as I could afford a new one I went to town with it and bought a 10 piece Yamaha Stage Custom and 9 Zildjian cymbals! Did up to grade 3 at school and when I got my new kit I decided to go to college and study Music for 2 more years.
Yamaha Drums/Hardware
Remo Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks
Mapex Pedals/Snare
Xfactor
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:13 pm

19 years and counting