jazz dummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Praying Hands
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:47 am

who are some good artists to listen to??
im starting to get interested in jazz drumming and i need some influences to learn from
screamkevin

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:51 am

Wow, great question. There are a LOT of great jazz drummers out there, and many, many influences to be had.

For starters, you should pick up music from these bands: Return To Forever, John Coltrane, Weather Report, Jaco Pastorius, Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson, and The Brecker Brothers. Some jazz can be hard to wrap your head around, but just close your eyes and let the music envelope you and you won't believe what you're hearing!

Look for drummers like Peter Erskine, Buddy Rich, Jeff Hamilton, Chick Webb, "Philly" Jo Jones, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Joe Morello, Gene Krupa, Roy Haynes, Baby Dodds, Louie Bellson, Jack Dejohnette, Marvin "Smitty" Smith, Idris Mohammad, Dave Tough, Sid Cattlett, Kenny Clarke, Max Roach, and Billy Cobham.

Also look to the "young guns" of jazz, like Antonio Sanchez, Brady Blade, Billy Kilson, and Bill Stewart.

Hope this helps!
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Praying Hands
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:18 pm

thanks a lot!
this`ll really help me out!
:D
zaktothefuture
new
new

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:37 pm

you might want to listen to elvin jones, joe morello, max roach and steve gadd.
endorsed by pork pie drums
zildjian cymbals
vic firth sticks
dw hardware
www.myspace.com/all_hail_zak
www.myspace.com/orange
www.orange-band.com
www.hell-cat.com
www.epitaph.com
Flatliner

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:15 pm

If you just start with the big names of jazz you'll be fine. Miles Davis, Duke Ellinton, Thelonious Monk, and John Coltrane would be a good starting point. And start with the early recordings and work your way foward, you'll understand the newer stuff a lot more if you have heard the older recodings first.
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:15 pm

No love for Tony Williams and Yellow Jackets drummer Marcus Baylor?

Both masterful players. I really love listening to Baylor... he's just so smooth.

http://www.yellowjackets.com/media/Jackets25_100.wmv

Sample of Baylor.
Bonzo21290
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:04 am

vinnie colaiuta, marvin smitty smith, steve smith, theres a lot, just go to drummerworld.com my favorite drummers site they have every drummer u can think of including jazz drummers
Zildjian
Pearl
DW
LP
Evans
Vic Firth.