advice for the young

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

seandude
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:36 pm

i need advice on drumming
1. im at apoint in time where im cocky ... i think cause idk i brag to the kids at school on how good i am

idk
i just hate people likethat

and i need advice

yeah

OH and what do you do when u have an off day????? idk its just like u cant get the beat what do you do?
safe sex is in the palm of your hand
drummert2k

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:55 pm

first off, acticng cocky doesnt make you "look" like a good drummer. if you plan on drumming being a career you have to phase out of the cocky stage. you dont want people to start looking at you as a cocky drummer to the point where no matter how good you might be, no one wants to be around you. and you really dont want to be "that guy" who is known for being cocky. and when you brag about how good you are, just remember theres someone behind the scenes on a drum pad cleaning up their diddles or polishing their technique, basically making themself a better drummer by practicing, not bragging. no matter how good you think you might be theres always someone better. and instead of trying to be cocky you should try to find that person and learn as much as you can. other drummers will respect you a lot more if you help them rather than act like the big shot who's to good to help anyone else. and other musicians will be much less likely to hire a cocky musician.

Example- a few years ago theres was an up and coming drummer in my area who's goal was to be better than me.( i told him numorous times to set his golas higher and i'd rather help him than compete with him) his band and my band played a string of shows together and while their songs sounded like 3 and a half minute drum solos my bands song sounded solid because im more focused on my band sounding good than me sounding good. well, after the 4th or 5th show he does a drum solo and after the solo over the mic calls me up to do a solo on his kit and says, and i quote "top that" i was never one to use drumming to show another drummer up but this was my breaking point. i went up behind his his and pulled everything out. after his bands set he actually packed up and left completely embarrassed about the whole thing. although his band mates thanked me and said he needed to be knocked back into place. but ever since then whenever i see him we share advice, i help him out with stuff, he shows me stuff.

moral of the story. cockyness doesnt make you look good and it doesnt impress anyone. i dont mean thins as a put down, but once you grow up as a musician you'll see that. you said you were still in school so you're really young yet and have a lot to learn.

As for the off day question, thats a good day to go back to books you worked though years ago. you'd be surprised what you find out you need to work on when you go back to the basics.

and feel free to P.M. me with any questions on drums, exercises, techniques, anything. take my advice. its better to try to learn something from some one than be cocky to people. anything you or anyone else needs help with or has questions about i'd be more than happy to help in any way i can.
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:10 pm

^^^this guy has a point man....
im only 16 years old, a junior in high school
and lead stick for the drumline at my high school
n sure at times u could get cocky cuz ur the how u say "big dog" of ur school...but think man think about going against other ppl that are better than u man!!! instead of fighting everyone for the spot light! join together as one! share stuff man and remember being humble is wat everydrummer should do...yes u can show off but there is a time and place for it!!! take it from a 16 year old man! im a very humble percussionist! i just love learning everything about drums man! u should be the same! learn! :D
lets drum fast and sexy :]
screamkevin

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:28 pm

Remember, no matter how big and bad you think you are, there's ALWAYS someone somewhere that can totally kick your ass.

True for fighting, even more true for drumming. :wink:
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:49 pm

drummert2k wrote:Example- a few years ago theres was an up and coming drummer in my area who's goal was to be better than me.( i told him numorous times to set his golas higher and i'd rather help him than compete with him) his band and my band played a string of shows together and while their songs sounded like 3 and a half minute drum solos my bands song sounded solid because im more focused on my band sounding good than me sounding good. well, after the 4th or 5th show he does a drum solo and after the solo over the mic calls me up to do a solo on his kit and says, and i quote "top that".

LMAO.

Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life. I totally believe you... but what the Hell was this guy thinking?

Personally I wouldnt have gotten up on stage, I probably would have laughed it off simply because of just how much of an idiot he's already made of himself. I never felt like I had to prove anything to anybody, because its never been a competition for me. Its just about having fun making the best music I can.

Life is too short to be cocky, and nobody likes people that are cocky. I know a guy around my area that is easily one of the top drummers that I've ever heard. He's had commercial success and has tourned with national acts (Some very famous) and theres no denying his playing ability. But he's usually so busy walking around in his own cloud that he doesnt get nearly the respect he would if he just had a level head on him.

Its just silly.

Drumming in Drum Corp is a competition. Playing drums on stage is NOT a competition, and anyone who views it as such is not playing for the right reasons, and therefore will never "GET IT".

Being humble will keep you hungry to become a more complete and better player. You will always strive to acheive things you havent before. But you will do it without overplaying and making a spectacle of yourself.

As far as off days, everyone has them. When I have off days I go back to basics. I go through my motions and make sure that the base technique is solid (Something I'm learning from my bass drum foot problems). Spending time on the basics will help you get back on track. If its in the middle of a gig or a practice with the band... simplify your grooves, so you dont sacrifice the feel of the song. A good drummer always knows how to adapt to anything except your floor tom falling over and smashing most of your kit over. Heh.

Good luck.
Howepirate

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:10 am

The Heel wrote:
drummert2k wrote:Example- a few years ago theres was an up and coming drummer in my area who's goal was to be better than me.( i told him numorous times to set his golas higher and i'd rather help him than compete with him) his band and my band played a string of shows together and while their songs sounded like 3 and a half minute drum solos my bands song sounded solid because im more focused on my band sounding good than me sounding good. well, after the 4th or 5th show he does a drum solo and after the solo over the mic calls me up to do a solo on his kit and says, and i quote "top that".

LMAO.

Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life. I totally believe you... but what the Hell was this guy thinking?

Personally I wouldnt have gotten up on stage, I probably would have laughed it off simply because of just how much of an idiot he's already made of himself. I never felt like I had to prove anything to anybody, because its never been a competition for me. Its just about having fun making the best music I can.

Life is too short to be cocky, and nobody likes people that are cocky. I know a guy around my area that is easily one of the top drummers that I've ever heard. He's had commercial success and has tourned with national acts (Some very famous) and theres no denying his playing ability. But he's usually so busy walking around in his own cloud that he doesnt get nearly the respect he would if he just had a level head on him.

Its just silly.

Drumming in Drum Corp is a competition. Playing drums on stage is NOT a competition, and anyone who views it as such is not playing for the right reasons, and therefore will never "GET IT".

Being humble will keep you hungry to become a more complete and better player. You will always strive to acheive things you havent before. But you will do it without overplaying and making a spectacle of yourself.

As far as off days, everyone has them. When I have off days I go back to basics. I go through my motions and make sure that the base technique is solid (Something I'm learning from my bass drum foot problems). Spending time on the basics will help you get back on track. If its in the middle of a gig or a practice with the band... simplify your grooves, so you dont sacrifice the feel of the song. A good drummer always knows how to adapt to anything except your floor tom falling over and smashing most of your kit over. Heh.

Good luck.

AMEN~!
youngdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:16 am

I don't really think it's that hard to not act cocky. All you have to do is not act like you're the big cheese, and don't talk to people about how good you are.

I know a bunch of people have said this already, but no matter how good you get, how fast your singles are, how solid your feel is, or what BPM you can play your doubles with your feet, there is always someone who can show you up and make you look like a fool. It's happened to me, and I'm sure it's happened to everyone else in this thread. It's a brotherhood, not a talent show.
WhiteOleander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:20 am

yea iv run into the same problem.. I started off with low self-esteem, then i kept getting compliments from people who said that although at that point id only been playing a month, i was still better than guys theyv seen who've been playing for years.. then I got really cocky and that just ended up annoying others and myself, and I realized i really wasn't learning anything it was all talk.. so now im back to never thinking im good enough even thought i can play almost anything you want me to.. i hover inbetween being completely insecure and being cocky, eif =( starting to find a balance though, so that's good
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:52 am

seandude wrote:i need advice on drumming
1. im at apoint in time where im cocky ... i think cause idk i brag to the kids at school on how good i am

idk
i just hate people likethat

and i need advice

yeah

OH and what do you do when u have an off day????? idk its just like u cant get the beat what do you do?

First of all, I would like to congradulate you on recognising this attitude as being a problem that needs attending. This one decision is something that took a certain maturity and reflexion.

My first thought is this: it is important to understand the depth involved in the history of the instrument and the level that has been acheived by others who have come before.

One way to do this is by spending time checking out as many recordings as you can find. First of all, check out Buddy Rich. One look at what he could do is enough to put us all in our place. No matter what our level.

A gentleman by the name of Rashid Ali recorded with another gentleman named John Coltrane. What these two created together was something that, at the time, indeed even now, seemed to emerge from outer space! The concept was that the music could be free of regular forms. This gave them a very large creative canvas upon which to work. Check out the CD Interstellar Space.

These are but two examples of people who have taken this magnificent artform to another level.

I personally believe that in order to grow, we need to recognise what it is we do not know. I have been playing the drumset for over 25 years. Every day I am reminded how far I still have to go. Add to this the fact that I also play percussion. It seems I am on a never ending path of instruction. Just learning the importance of clave is a lesson that takes time and dedication. Once this understanding of clave has been developed, one can than recognise how clave fits into other existing styles. For example, I feel that if one does not understand clave, one will never be able to play funk music correctly.

You can use a forum such as this to ask other drummers for advice. I also advise you to join forums inhabbitted by other musicians. Understanding what a saxophonist requires from a drummer is a lesson in itself. Not to mention what is needed by keyboard players, guitarists and the like.

Talking to percussionists is another great way to learn. As a percussionist, I require a high level and understanding of tuning from a drummer. A drummer arriving at a gig with flat, dead sounding drums is not something I wish to deal with. There is no way for our instruments to communicate if the open tones clash. I tend to equate dead, flat tuning with amateur players.

And this tuning perspective is but the first and most minimal aspect of playing I require. I also expect an understanding of how our two positions interact within the music. I don't want a drummer who is only concerned with himself. He'll simply drown me out and confuse the structure. This does not make for good music.

So basically, by asking this question you have taken a big step. Treat your instrument and the art of music with humility and respect. In this way you just may give yourself the opportunity to go far.

Good luck.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
lil-lloydy
new
new

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:30 pm

well iam 17 and in collage and the way i think about myself drummin is that iam not a fan off my own drummin wen ever i play its not good enuff and think thats the way u better ur self but the drummers in collage think i show off which i kno i dont just coz i think that way. i just put a simple and soild back beat with 1 or 2 fills in most of the songs unless were doing covers then i try to get it to the cd but c if u can figger it out coz its pissing me off
j lloyd
MuzZle
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:54 pm

I have to agree with everyone on here. Everything holds especially true when you are in a band. There is a time and a place for everything, but a band is a unit. I've been playing the drums for about a decade, i'm quite adept at my rudiments and different styles, however, in the band I play what sounds best to the band. If this means I have to play a simple 8th note skeleton rock beat at a slow tempo I do it, and nonetheless when I do it and am on stage or practice I never have a bored demeanor or expression. I am always too busy enjoying how everything is put together so well and the music that was born from it. You have to keep the mindset that you will never know everything about drums, the Neil Pearts and Portnoys are one in a million and the only way to get to where they are is several hours of practice daily for years and years. I don;t care how many people tell me I am a skilled drummer, I know myself and I know what areas can be improved and am constantly researching and learning new styles and techniques. Cockiness just holds a person back by making hit a ceiling because they lose their motivation thinking they have reached the apex of their skills. Keep going, don't stop learning, and if you think you have mastered drums, start reading up on music theory, chords, progressions, make yourself a universal musician.
tonytonytony
new
new

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:56 pm

don't be cocky. it just makes you look like an ass.
learn all you can. focus on that and don't worry about the bullshit.
don't try to play beyond your abilities until you are CONFIDENT you can pull it off well, if there is one thing that drives me apeshit up a fucking wall these days with young drummers its the fact that they went to the fucking travis barker school of annoying, nothing against him, but kids who try to play his style of fills every 30 seconds cant even hold down a beat. cut that out. it's better to be solid than be flashy.

and fuck lots of women. take what you can get. hot or not. just be sure and wear a rubber.
soliddrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:59 am

One of the interesting things about being a musician is our sensitive egos. The fact that people are either going to think we are great or not so great. My advice would be to settle in your own heart why you are playing drums. At the end of the day, do you really care what people think? Get to the place where if someone says, "Hey, great job" or you overhear, "Man that drummer was terrible." that it doesn't phase you either way. Let people think what they want to think. When people compliment you, say 'thank you.' Take constructive criticism and work on getting better as a member of a band. Part of maturity and growing up is learning to relate to the world around you - to people's opinions of you. What would you want someone to say about you when you're dead and gone? If it's not, "He was a great drummer, but not much of a friend.", then work on being a drummer that is also a good friend. Professional musicians want someone they can not only work with, but have a good time in the process. It took guts to share that, and I can guarantee you're not the only one thinking that.
Skill tempered with relevance and simplicity.
Multibomber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:42 pm

DRUMMER2K

Another great post man!

But this quote takes the cake

tonytonytony wrote:if there is one thing that drives me apeshit up a fucking wall these days with young drummers its the fact that they went to the fucking travis barker school of annoying, nothing against him, but kids who try to play his style of fills every 30 seconds cant even hold down a beat. cut that out. it's better to be solid than be flashy.

and fuck lots of women. take what you can get. hot or not. just be sure and wear a rubber.
drummert2k

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:45 pm

tonytonytony wrote:

Haha, i liked this part the best!