Thomas Lang VS. Dennis Chambers......

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

FSTFEET
new
new

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:48 pm

I just wanna hear what most drummers are most amused by.
The crazy rudamentry work on hands and feet by Lang

or,

The untuchable grooves and smothness of Dennis Chambers.

The reason i ask is because Dennis Chambers was at one of the Guitar Centers and was making fun of Thomas Lang. haha

Write back.

-Loniel.
Fstfeet
drummert2k

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:58 pm

they're not even comparable. they both have completely differant styles. im sure theres things thomas is better at and other things dennis is better at. theres to many "which drummer is better" posts. no single drummer is the best at everything. we all know thomas has amazing technical ability and dennis has an amazing feel and groove.
Bonzo21290
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:46 pm

drummert2k wrote:they're not even comparable. they both have completely differant styles. im sure theres things thomas is better at and other things dennis is better at. theres to many "which drummer is better" posts. no single drummer is the best at everything. we all know thomas has amazing technical ability and dennis has an amazing feel and groove.

i definetely agree with you... i love both of these guys and i saw lang in clinic a few weeks back... but they both are completely different and unique in their own way.
Zildjian
Pearl
DW
LP
Evans
Vic Firth.
Justino
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:46 pm

c'mon drummert2k play along with the post bruhh...

In my opinion this is the toughest response I have made on this deal because both drummers are so influential to me. Thomas Lang has the technique down better than almost any other main stream drummer out, but Dennis... he is a legend. Dennis has everything in his past that I wish I could have, he grew up playing with pro's from day one. I read that by the time he was like 10 he was playing with pros in bars... THAT IS SOMETHING! TLang also has an amazing past though because he came up just like the rest of us and through hard work he made it big and now is world wide monster drummer.
If I HAD to choose I would say Thomas Lang just because he has been trained and has played with orchestra's not just fusion groups. Dennis is still the man and a legend at that, but I think Thomas Lang is one of our generation’s legends in the making.
Justino
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:04 pm

well, the first thing that comes to mind is a big -1 to Dennis for making fun of other drummers.

It'd be nice if there wasn't any 'vs' going on; everybody's got their own style and usually pros show some courtesy, there's no point denigrating another artist.

Or was it more good-natured ribbing? That'd be different I guess.
I just feel like I'd tend to lose some respect for a prominent drummer who put others down. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what happened at the clinic?
drummert2k

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:20 pm

Justino wrote:c'mon drummert2k play along with the post bruhh...

ok, ok. i'll play along. chambers is a legend and has played with legends. who chambers has played with is something that in that aspect puts him above Lang. but my vote would go to lang overall. he has the chops, amazing independance, a very very solid drummer, from a technical stand point not many people out there come close. chambers has great time and feel and i've heard some very impressive chambers solos but Langs power, multi pedal work, rudimental work and just overall performance sometimes has me asking myself "is this guy even human" My vote goes to lang with no disprespect to chambers. Lang, Greb, Minneman(correct spellin?) and drummers like them in my opinion are taking drummer to an increbibly high level of complexity, knowledge and playing ability. this is just my opinion!
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:48 pm

Wow...
I can't think of any tunes on which Lang lays down a memorable groove. He's got chops, no doubt. He's got independance, no doubt. He makes great videos and does great clinics.

For me, here's the bottom line... we're drummers... we make music. Who has made better music that stands on its own merit as music? Who made us dance and groove and feel things? Who really affected us in a measurable way? For me this is a no brainer.

Lang is a technique freak. He's great. I barely care.

Chambers takes care of business and lays down a groove that is absolutely undeniable.

Advantage Chambers.
TamaSwngstr121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:16 pm

Yah, you really cant say anyones better, because everyone has different styles and no one is the "best" In my mind, its all opinion on who you think is better...i agree with most everyone here, Thomas Lang is technically much better, but he cant put up grooves like Dennis Chambers. So it could go either way.
Flatliner

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:04 am

not getting involved in a groove vs. technique war, but to respond to zen_drummer, I don't like to dance and thus this is too subjective to declar a winner, but I will play the game and say as far as more influencial, I'm gonna say lang. but this is a personal influence, not for the drumming community as a whole, for Lang, Minneman, Peart, Bozzio, Portnoy, Bruford, Palmer, ect. those are the guys that have made me want to practice the drums and the reason I'm so passionate about them.
sirdrumalot
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:05 am

the post says better. thomas is better. i dont care ive seen both play and you cant touch thomas. im nothing dennis is bad hes awsome but as far as skill to the instrumen thomas is untouchable, its like comparing bb king to alexi from cob. i hate cob but hes a great guitar player.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:23 am

Two quotes from my website...

"There are really two ways to perform on the drums...
One is to let yourself flow with the music, to explore the groove and to become a part of the whole in that space.
The other way is to force your will on the music, playing rehearsed and lifeless patterns, subject to your personal limitations."

"Technique is cheap. Anybody can have great chops if they practice long and hard. Knowing when to hold back and play less requires real instinct. I have learned that what I don't play is often far more important than what I do play. "

(shameless plug, I know)
www.unitedgrooveworkers.com
sirdrumalot
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:46 am

what does that mean besides wasting 20 seconds of my life reading that. you bother me.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:40 pm

sirdrumalot wrote:what does that mean besides wasting 20 seconds of my life reading that. you bother me.

I guess I owe you 20 seconds... Let me know where to send it.
drummert2k

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:48 pm

zen_drummer wrote:
sirdrumalot wrote:what does that mean besides wasting 20 seconds of my life reading that. you bother me.

I guess I owe you 20 seconds... Let me know where to send it.

haha..... zen_drummer, i've read a lot of your posts on here a you can tell you're a very knowledgable musician and you do make very good points. also, i checked out your site. your zendrum is crazy? is that something you created or is that a standard piece of electronic percussion you can order from a store?
Flatliner

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:53 pm

I know where you are coming from, but I don't like the implication that groove and technique can't co-exist. I think thomas's solo are cool and inspiring but there's a lot of drummers I'd rather watch solo ( steve smith, peart, rich, carl palmer, etc. ) however that being said I thought he was completely insane on the song "Dog" on his creative crontrol DVD, and I'm not sure how you could ever put some sort of "groove" oriented drumming on that track would have made poeple want to dance.