danmar Impact Pads

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:10 pm

I stuck one of these on my bass head to see if it was much improvement- we were looking for a tiny bit more high-end punch/attack;
they say~
P.D.K.P. Impact Pads and Metal Kick Pads
The legendary redesigned Power Disk Kick Pad, Impact Pad, with optional intelligent tonality kick drum enhancer to fully awaken any kick drum.

http://www.danmarpercussion.com/top1.htm

It's basically an adhesive decal with some kind of metallic disc inside the impact area.

so far= HORRIBLE! I'm going to keep experimenting to see if it requires a specific recipe to sound good, but YIKES! Now I've got a big 22" basketball. Not happy!

It definitely added a spike in the high-end/click/impact frequency.
But it sounds like the only way for it to be usable is to completely muffle the drum, which I don't want to do for recording. I'd like a little tone. All I get now is a big phasey/tinny/metallic over-ring kind of crap. $10 down the drain if I can't get it roped in.
Shoulda taped a quarter on there first like I was thinking-

If I flip the beater over to the felt side, it goes back to a nice normal fat impact. And a plastic beater on the plain head sounds good, just not quite as much attack as I'd like. But hitting this " intelligent tonality kick drum enhancer " is driving me nuts!

has anyone been able to get usable sounds out of one of these?
or did you all know better than to get suckered by such gimmicks?
Last edited by m on Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:48 pm

I was always for the Evans AF Patch, adds attack and click, but not too much when compared to the danmar one.
What can I say? maybe you should try another beater? I know Herrera uses it, but he lays a trigger on his acoustic kick sound. He plays with the plastic side of the beater and he uses the danmar patch and the beater to achieve this click. This has to do with the definition of the drum at speeds like 200bpm, he says.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:57 pm

I wonder if he muffles the drum much?
that's my next experiment, but if it takes a lot of muffling, that's not cool for me.
thanks for the input!
drummert2k

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:25 pm

using a metal kick pad with a muffled kick and wooden beaters give you a "metal" (no pun intended) sound. with this kick patch if you want a little more tone try using only a little muffling on the kick (enough to get the punch you desire) and use felt beaters. its brings out the attack but you dont get as much "click" as you do with wooden or rubber beaters
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:35 pm

I don't mind a little click, I'm just shocked at the phasey/resonance weirdness that it's causing- the crazy overring at the end of the note decay is really strange. The felt beater stopped it, but had way less articulation (like none) than a plastic beater on just the plain head without the patch. I guess I'm going to change heads and try an Emad.

thanks again for the input guys!
Alchemyspug
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:51 pm

i use danmar metal kick pads
but i like the click sound
so its up to you
ludwig 5 pc. accent
dw hardware
pro mark sticks
remo heads
zildjian cymbals
Drummer_chum
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:08 pm

I use to use those for live shows only! When micked and using wooden beaters the sound is just killer. The sound you get with this set up is the sound made by Vinnie Pauls bass drums to give an example.
Eiren
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:06 am

m wrote:I wonder if he muffles the drum much?
that's my next experiment, but if it takes a lot of muffling, that's not cool for me.
thanks for the input!

I don't think he muffles it at all to be honest (as far as my memory can recall).

Watching him drum live for Anaal Nathrakh (a black metal band that uses drum machines to create inanely fast drumming), was one of the most humbling and amazing feats of live drumming I have ever seen.
X Day-mow X
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:39 am

i had 1. but it had like the foam behind the metal. it sucked. alot. but meh. just had 2 tape it lots. they sounds pretty sweet i rekn. do the job for me.
X Day-mow X
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu May 03, 2007 10:59 pm

m wrote:I don't mind a little click, I'm just shocked at the phasey/resonance weirdness that it's causing- the crazy overring at the end of the note decay is really strange. The felt beater stopped it, but had way less articulation (like none) than a plastic beater on just the plain head without the patch. I guess I'm going to change heads and try an Emad.

thanks again for the input guys!

Okay, you want a great punch in the studio. her you go:

REmo single ply head (Ihave had great success with the Fiberskyn) on the batter with a felt strip running across it underneath the head and this goes across a third of the drum. Reso ide - another single ply head, ported for the mic! This is the set up guys like Steve Smith uses (Journey's Frontiers album comes to mind!). Old school but may be what you are after!