I need advice....

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

madoox87
new
new

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:57 pm

I recently started using a second bass drum, and I absolutely love it. I was curious though if it would be a lot easier set-up if I were to use a rack? I've never used one before and Im thinking about getting one. Im not exaclty sure what to get though as far as brands go. I use eight cymbals (not including hi hats) and I have 3 mounted toms. I just basically want to be able to set-up faster. Should I just stick with my stands or...... should get a rack?

Would it be a lot more to caryy around?
SUCKA!
screamkevin

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:12 am

I've been using a Gibraltar rack for years, and it's great. You'll save a TON of weight over full out cymbal stands, I think there are more options with a rack, and did I mention they are LIGHT?

Racks are the way to go!
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:11 am

I use a pearl icon rack 3 side rack. I don't break anything down and just load it straight into the trailer. So basically, I carry it on stage, unfold it, and I'm done with my stands. Mount the toms, cymbals and place the snare and bass and it's ready to mic up in 10 minutes.
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:51 pm

With 10 cymbals, two hi-hats, a glockenspiel, cowbells and a mounted tambourine, you better believe I use a rack! I can't even imagine spending the time to setup all those stands.

I use the PDP cruved rack with two lengthened side extensions, and I break it down all the way. I have multiple gibralter boom arms for cymbals. There's memory locks on everything and each lock is numbered with the same nuber as a the corresponding clamp. Each tilter has a number and my cymbals have been numbered inside the bell with a sharpee marker. (so a roadie can help if he's not busy trying to get attention from that redheaded girl that was already drunk at the bar when we arrived) It sets up in less than 15 minutes and everything is ALWAYS in the right place. REALLY simple.
robb_nightlife
new
new

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:14 am

I use a Pearl Icon 3 sided rack as well... and although I still consider my kit modest its definitely a life savor as far as I'm concerned on load in/set up time. The only thing you have to really consider is you MUST have someone willing to help you load to stage. Especially with a dual bass kit...
Wake The Light
http://www.myspace.com/wakethelight
Tama shells / Pearl hardware / Ziljian cymbals / Evans heads / Vic Firth sticks
Marki777
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:24 pm

I use a Tama rack because they use this wall stainless steel tubing as opposed to the mild steel tubing. The stainless tubing is even LESS weight than the mild steel and I like the brushed steel look. Ive noticed that DW is now using stainless steel tubing as well and has lots of cool clamps and stuff to go with it!!
Searah
new
new

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:13 pm

Is it horrible not to be a fan of double kick? :oops:
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:45 am

Searah wrote:Is it horrible not to be a fan of double kick? :oops:

Of course not! If you can get your band into the pocket with NO bass drum at all, and it becomes your signature sound, then who is to say you're wrong?

Drumming SHOULD be about keeping time and musical expression, the rules end there! (And these days "keeping time" seems to be becoming optional)
screamkevin

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:08 am

Heck no, Sarah! Some of the best drummers out there never used double kick!
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.