Mixing cymbal brands

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

elchris2k6
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:52 pm

is it frowned upon to use different brands/ "models" of cymbals? a friend of mine had a heart attack when he saw i had a paiste 14" 101 crash, a paiste pst3 18" crash ride, and sabian B8 hi hats...i like the way it sounds..and when i have the moneys i was gettin PST5's of 2002's so i was just wonderin how other ppl looked at it
markt36264
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:06 pm

Across the room, subtle differences in cymbal sound are diminished. If you are looking for variety in your sounds, then different brands and lines are a good way to accomplish that. Personally, I do keep my sets matched except for the hi-hat. I have a set of Z Customs, A Customs, and A's. As for the hi-hat I have a k/z combo, and A Cust/Z set and a quick beat set. I like to have a china, 2 or 3 crashes of different sizes and a ride. I found that using the Z's, mixing the other types didn't work too well because the Z's are so heavy.

It is personal preference. do what sounds good to you and if you want a different sound, make it a lot different or no one will notice.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:37 am

Use all that you like, not what is from one manufacturer. Although I love my Agop cymbals, I sometimes fill change to Meinl Generation X cymals. My hihat doesn't change.
There's this saying that cymalsfrom one brand work better toghether and sound better as a whole, but I don't know if it's true. I use Agops/Alchemy, I think they're the best sounding cymbals out there(along with Bosphorus) and I will never buy a cymbal from other brand :) to me major manufacturers(ZIldjian, Sabian, PaisTe) sound like theyre to high pitched(especially the hihats-all sabians sound like two splashes put together for me). Small manufacturers- Turkish, Masterwork, Istanbul Mehmet- They may be good, but I've already found my sound.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:32 pm

I have paiste, zildjian, sabian, wuhon & saluda all mixed in and different models of those brands. I want different sounds and that's the best way to do it IMO.

I used to believe they had to all be the same brand and series.
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:19 pm

I have Zildjian Mastersound hats, which are killer, a 22in Z hand hammered ride and 20in Sabian dry ride. Crashes are 16 in Sabian HH, 18 Sabian Xplosion, 14 Zildjian lite crash, 18in Paiste Alpha , which is a very sweet cymbal. Sonically they sound great together. Once you learn the rules you can proceed to break them. YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!
Seriously, just like you need different types of sticks for different songs and bands you need different cymbal brands and sounds too. It is good to have pre-sonically matched cymbals but cymbals are also a very personal thing. I don't care what brand it is as long as it sounds good to my ear. If you are picky and careful you can sonically match things yourself. I tried every crash cymbal in Guitar Center on more than one occassion and always preferred the Sabians.
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 pm

I went through this subject in another forum.

ALL cymbal manufacturers make crappy,good & great cymbals...PERIOD!

There is no law that says you HAVE to go with only one company.

Mix it up,break'em,ect...

I've played on damn near every MAIN manufacturers cymbals and have VERY mixed feelings about them.

Zildjian is great but,I go through them too much,everyone plays Zildjians,Zildjian is a mass market company now days(which is why Sabian came to existence).

I love Sabian due to awesome craftsmanship,support,customer service,old school morals,ect....

I get everything I need/want with them.

Some say this and that about certain cymbal companies...but,you have to check out EVERY series,line,model & size before you pass judgment.

Do what you do to get the sound you want....me I'll stick with Sabian :!:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
Flatliner

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:01 pm

I think its best when choosing your cymbals to try to not look at the maker and go from pure sound. I use a combination of zildjians and sabians currently and really only because my petricular combination gives me all the different sounds I like to color the music in the way I choose.
Shredder
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:25 pm

I currently play on a set of 14" hi hats consisting of a matte finish zildjan mastersound hand hammered edge bottom hat with a sabian bright finish stage hat top. They really do have the best sound out of all set-ups and combos i have played on, they sound great live and amazing on recordings. I am a firm believer in mixing and matching, it's your sound so do what you want with it.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:06 pm

I play whatever I can afford in the used section that isn't pre-damaged...so being very limited in my choices, I'll take anything from any company as long as is sounds better than my cracked cymbals.

Then again, I did save up for that set of K Custom Darks...I love that entire line, but I don't like playing them with my metal band...they deserve better treatment.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
DrumHead15
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:50 pm

There has always been a bias towards brand loyalty. All of one kind and do not mix. If you really saw what goes on inside the studio even with endorsers it would open your eyes and ears. I have seen one brand endorser pull his private other brand personal ride out of his cymbal bag to record. Yet when asked he would say I endorse XYZ because they are the best. You get the best sound you need form whatever source is avaliable to you. Sometimes endorements are limiting to your creativity. I had a long conversation with the first son of a well known drumming family about this type of issue. He said that he can not stand his companies hardware at all. He has to use it on certain media outlets, but if not then he uses any brand but theirs.

One of the best buying experiences that I ever had was with Danny Q back when Thoroughbred was open. They had a cymbal room with a drumset. You had to make an appt. We did the blindfold test. At the time I wanted a new set of Zildjians. After going through about 20 16" crashes all the same supposedly, Danny asked me describe what I wanted as far as sound and then I also picked out what I thought I wanted to play. Then the real fun began. I put on a blind fold and just played. He would switch them out until we had a set that worked well together. I wound up with (IMHO) one of the best matched sounding set at the time. They were from mostly (10) Paiste, dif lines and 2 Sabian and 1 Zildjian. That was a valuable lesson for me. I had always heard it but never until applied it. To get past brand bias, close your eyes and just hit metal. Whatever blends for your ears are the ones for you. I think I got like $1500 worth in that one day in 1987 dollars. I have traded or sold tons of cymbals but none from that blindfold test have ever left me or let me down.

Ultimately it is and should be up to you. All one brand is kinda limiting and I hate limits put on me. I would not pass up a great deal something just because with was Zild or Sabian or whatever brand even though I do prefer Paiste. I have some truly great other brand cymbals that I love to play for certain situations. Just my 5 cents worth.
Pearl Masterworks Kit, BRX Kit, two MM Acrylic Kits, Roland V-Drums Kit, SPD-15, SPD-20, Octabans, Gong BD, Full Rototom Kit, 12+Snares, around 100 Paiste's & Various Cymbals: Zildjian, Sabian, drum racks: Pearl, DrumFrame VX1 www.myspace.com/drumhead15
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:33 pm

One of the best buying experiences that I ever had was with Danny Q back when Thoroughbred was open. They had a cymbal room with a drumset. You had to make an appt. We did the blindfold test.

Wow, I did exactly that with A.J. Altieri at Thoroughbred once. I was looking for Hi Hats and I was SURE I wanted New Beats. Then the blindfold went on... I ended up with a pair of UFIPS and a pair of MEINL Rakers. I still have both pair (though one was stolen then recovered) I now buy cymbals ONLY with my ears.
drummerkev
new
new

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:37 am

I always try to be loyal to the Sabians, which is generally my brand of choice, but I have Zildjin hi-hats and a Zildjin ride that has rivits in them and they both sound great, so I say that if it sounds great than use what you can . . . . . unless Sabian wants to sponser me I will use what is avalible and what sounds good.
Actor and music and drum obsessed. I love all drummers, Rock, Metal, Jazz, R&B. I joined to learn more about drums.
elchris2k6
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:08 am

thanks! i didnt think it was a treason to mix...but i have noticed that my sabian hi hats sounded like two crash...and i put one up as a crash and it worked! im a lil low on cash w/ moving and what not so asap im gettin some 2002's or big beats (fat chance on that one...no way ill find them) but itll prob be around spring :-/ before ill afford new stuff, thanks for the help.
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:35 am

it defo aint treason. im mostly sabian but i love the sound of other cymbals eg. my a custom projection crash.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:42 am

I love all kinds of cymbals and through the years my tastes have changed. I am currently in love with the 2002's from Paiste. I am not sure if there is a concrete answer to this..
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.