studio

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Gazdkw82§
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:48 am

right im in the studio tomorrow and last time i was in i struggled playing to a click and trouble with the sound of the kit etc.

anyone got any advice on

playing to a click
gettin a good sound
best ways to do takes (live or seperatly)
bullets
new
new

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:12 pm

Howdy, bud!

#1- RELAX!!!!!!
You're in the studio because of what you do. Your workspace is the same, regardless of whether you're in a basement, a shithole of a bar, 30,000 people, OR A STUDIO. Just play your drums.

#2- THE CLICK IS YOUR FRIEND.
It removes the pressure and second-guessing.
If you can lock in with a band, you can lock in with a click. You just shift your focus to the click. Once again, being relaxed is crucial.
A lot of times, I've cut tracks where I was the only one hearing the click. If the other guys are doing their jobs, they'll be right there with you. Remember: IT'S JUST A FREEKIN' CLICK.

#3- MAKE YOUR KIT SOUND LIKE YOU WANT IT TO SOUND ON TAPE.
Just get 'em in tune. Oil your pedal if it rattles. Overtones are not necessarily a bad thing unless they're as loud as the fundamental. Just means the drum's out of tune. Painless to fix, no?

#4- WHEN IN DOUBT, OVERDUB.
Usually, they'll go for a keeper drum track first. Some guys like the idea of a full band all going for keepers at once. If the desired result can be had this way, have at it. If not, you can always go to plan B, which is get a drum track, keep whatever else was right, then everybody goes in and cleans up their takes.

Say to yourself on the way in the door: :"I OWN THIS SESSION."

Tear it up, man . 8)
"No honey, ya don't really blow on it. That's just a figure of speech."
markt36264
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:30 pm

Set the click track so that you hear something between the beats. If you are locked in with a simple 1/4 note track, it becomes harder to hear. Having the extra subdivisions in the click track gives you a point of reference that doesn't get totally covered up by your drum parts.