Bonham "rock and roll" solo

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:45 am

I just figured out bonhams rock and roll solo note for note. It's still a pain to play but here's how I did it. I found a computer program free online "slowgold" it allows you to edit only the first 2 tracks of and album and only for ten seconds. It was just enough to figure the fill out. If I knew how to write music I would write it out and post it. So for those of you that have diced up the solo or put your own touch on it because it's to damm fast to pick it all out, try slowgold. It will slow down the track w/o changing pitch. If by chance someone knows how to write, I will give you the patterns to write out and post.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:32 am

Talk about raw talent!!

Bonham had more raw talent than anyone I have yet seen. You can hear his evolution as a drummer just listening to all the Led Zepplin albums in order.

He goes from raw power to technique and power.

He was one of the best, period.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
warlocke
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:36 am

No doubt about it! He was far beyond any of us mere mortals.

Quick question - Did you do the studio recorded version or the live version from "Song Remains The Same?" Because I've gone through the SRTS DVD frame by frame and haven't been able to break it all down... He was just too darned fast and powerful! :)
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:51 am

warlocke wrote:No doubt about it! He was far beyond any of us mere mortals.

Quick question - Did you do the studio recorded version or the live version from "Song Remains The Same?" Because I've gone through the SRTS DVD frame by frame and haven't been able to break it all down... He was just too darned fast and powerful! :)

I did the studio version. The lick in the solo that everyone has an idea what he's doing is a quad fill , snare,tom,kick,kick... so you got to have a really fast foot to play it like bonham did. Even practicing it slow is hard. And it's also a must to play it with a single kick because using a double pedal takes away the aggressive snap bonham had when playing it.
JLoubs34
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:51 am

his quad fills are rediculous, and to play them with a single pedal is way out of my league. the song remains the same dvd's are intense and the attack he gets with a single pedal is truely powerful. knowing that he can play that live flawlessly and not just in the studio with several tries, is awesome. one of the best solos from the best rock drummer of all time.
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:01 pm

Not only is that quad fill fast it is uneven too. You would have to hear it slow. This is the only thing giving me trouble working it out. Once I master it, I'm going to post a you tube video on how to play it and breaking it all down.

Well I was able to save the lick slowed down if you PM with you'll email I will send you the clip at half speed so you can start working it out.