Crashable Ride

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:15 pm

What ride cymbals sound best when crashed? Do you know any non-thin ride that crashes well and has a solid ping?
Tama drums!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:53 pm

Crashable ride- Meinl GenX 18 Signal crash/Club ride. High pitched crash, very washy sweet ride(great sound with small nylon tip and rivets).
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:33 am

Zildjian A Sweet Ride is a ride that crashes well and never washes over sticking patterns
dim my eyes if they should compromise
GuRu
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:55 am

Meinl Raker 20" Medium. Has a really defined ping with a nice wash. Works well when crashed.
.no1 is innocent.
dannydrumperc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:32 am

My K (new series w/ K on bottom side) 20" Ride. It should be in the medium weight range. It has a very nice dark crash. I also have 18" & 20" K crashrides (same series) but the ping on those isn't so defined. The 20" ride is my "if I were on a desert island..." cymbal. And if it wasn't good enough, I got it signed by Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez at clinic he did last year.

Lepricoin
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:17 am

I have a 18" Sabian HH Duo ride that sounds really nice, but it doesnt mix well with brighter cymbals.
tamadrumboy
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:43 am

20" A Medium Ride (A0034)
Sounds amazing!
Saturday, October 14th @ Desiderio's w/ "Vertigo".
Nicholas Plant
http://www.nicholasdrums.com
http://www.myspace.com/nicholasplant
8MDrummer
new
new

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:27 pm

loop wrote:Zildjian A Sweet Ride is a ride that crashes well and never washes over sticking patterns

I use a 21" sweet ride and a 22" Bosphorous New Orleans series ride. both soud great when crashed

Also, I checked out an Istanbul 22" Traditional ride this weeked. It has a wonderful crash sound, but only in low volume situations.
Turi
new
new

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:28 am

Hmm Kind of an older post... but

I have been on the serch as of late for some new rides that are exactly as you described... Crashable but still good stick ping and definition.

I settled for the new Sabian 20" Vault ride.

Really sounds nice. Kind of a hybrid cymbal. They added some extra silver to the cymbal for the ping, finely lathed the top and gave it a briliant finsh, the bottom of the ride is completly un touched-unfinished. Looks like they just pulled it out of the cast...

So far I have been really happy with the versitality of it.
RD Of DrummerWorld
new
new

Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:28 am

Carter wrote:What ride cymbals sound best when crashed? Do you know any non-thin ride that crashes well and has a solid ping?

NOne other than the Paiste New Signature Dark Energy Mark 1 Ride.......exactly like what you wanted...simply beautiful.....I own one of these.....

No regrets
DrummerWorld ! ... The No.1 Drum Forum In The World
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:00 am

a crash is a crash and a ride is a ride...i see no reason to sacrifice sound qualities in one cymbal when i can have 2 better ones that will serve the same purpose.

that being said, ive always heard that the sweet ride is great for crashing. ive used one before and its near impossible to keep that thing from being drowned in wash during just normal riding and i had mixed feelings about it, but it sounded pretty good. i dont know of any other ones like this but i can say that the hh rwa bell dry ride is not what youre looking for. its thick, its heavy, and it wouldnt work for you.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
soliddrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:40 am

I would have to agree that the Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride has to be the best sounding ride no matter what the application. It has to be the best crash sounding ride I've ever played while still being a great ride for lighter playing. Good stick definition at softer dynamics. The bell isn't bad either. Unforunately, I'm stuck with a Sabian HHX 20" Power Ride, which is loud as anything, but doesn't have the versatility I'm looking for. It's great for rock, though and the bell is absolutely killer! :twisted:
Skill tempered with relevance and simplicity.
sdd_sammo
new
new

Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:03 pm

I have a 21" sweet ride and it's easily the best cymbal in my set-up.
the ride quality is perfect for me.
the crash quality is beautiful, i'd use it mainly as a crash/ride if i could find another ride as good to use predominately as a ride.
The bell is solid when you hit it right.
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:03 pm

The Paiste Giant Beat reissue series. The cymbals are not actually seperated into "crash" and "ride" cymbals. They only make 18 20 and 24s but there all good for both rides and crashes. My favorite is the 20" its perfect for crash/ride application.
-Matt Kinel

Vintage Ludwig Stainless Steel Bonham Set
Paiste Giant Beats and 2002 Cymbals
Vintage Ludwig Hercules and Atlas Hardware
Speed King Pedal, Supraphonic Snare
Remo Heads, Coated
draconic
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:41 am

i have a 20" sabian ride and an 18" RUDE crash/ride and they're both used as crashes...
life is good