Metal Drummers vs. Jazz Drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

What style of music do you think is harder to play?

Jazz
74%
Metal
26%

Total votes: 104
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:36 am

PatternsInTheIvy wrote:
Timekeep69 wrote:Both are hard to play but for different reasons. Metal drumming is more physical because you have to play harder and faster. Jazz is difficult because it requires the drummer to train his body to do things it's not used to doing ( I just saw Jason Bittner show some 3 way independant stuff).

btw, Bittner is a Berkley grad and while he plays metal, he also can impressively play jazz drumming.

Why does everyone think metal has anything to do with playing "hard"?

because you're cutting through lots of distorted guitar. when I go see a metal band and the drummer's just tapping, I feel it doesn't have quite the same punch as going to see a band where the drummer's putting some force behind it. the music's loud, play dynamically to fit the rest of what's going on.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:41 am

To me, jazz and metal are both opposite sides of the drumming brain. Both require equal talent, control, chops, and sensibility, but in different ways.
Like Alan said, metal drummers need to play hard to cut through the heavy wall of sound. Metal can also be very fast and extremely intricate. But you'll always get some metal drummers that play the same thing over and over again, hard and fast.
Jazz drummers need to be intricate as well, but also delicate and conservative, knowing when to step back and follow rather than lead. But you'll always get some jazz drummers who forget about that and just embellish to much.
Beat on.
PatternsInTheIvy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:29 pm

break the prism wrote:To me, jazz and metal are both opposite sides of the drumming brain. Both require equal talent, control, chops, and sensibility, but in different ways.
Like Alan said, metal drummers need to play hard to cut through the heavy wall of sound. Metal can also be very fast and extremely intricate. But you'll always get some metal drummers that play the same thing over and over again, hard and fast.
Jazz drummers need to be intricate as well, but also delicate and conservative, knowing when to step back and follow rather than lead. But you'll always get some jazz drummers who forget about that and just embellish to much.

Exactly what I was getting at! There are different styles, skill levels, and generally completely different concepts in both styles of music!
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Try getting the average metal drummer to play "La Fiesta" or "Spain" by Chick Corea. It would be extremely difficult for them to play a latin samba with any kind of authenticity, on the other hand. Most latin drummers I know could play a passable version of just about any metal song.
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Paiste and Sabian Cymbals
http://www.easystreetband.biz
PatternsInTheIvy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Gretschman1 wrote:Try getting the average metal drummer to play "La Fiesta" or "Spain" by Chick Corea. It would be extremely difficult for them to play a latin samba with any kind of authenticity, on the other hand. Most latin drummers I know could play a passable version of just about any metal song.

Right...like you couldn't just do a basic a samba shuffle that takes nearly no effort to learn, and it wouldn't sound "passable."
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:47 pm

definately jazz. I'm a metal drummer, and I dont care how fast you can go or how crazy your blast beat is, jazz is harder. it takes more creativity, more thought and more emotion to do jazz. Heavy metal, the predominant emotion is anger/hate and thats a pretty easy one to channel onto drums. jazz is hard. watch Buddy Rich and then watch, lets say, Chris Adler, and tell me which one is going to be one helluva lot harder to figure out, let alone play. I just saw a video of Buddy the other day and I was in SHOCK!
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
PatternsInTheIvy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:08 am

metldrummer2112 wrote:definately jazz. I'm a metal drummer, and I dont care how fast you can go or how crazy your blast beat is, jazz is harder. it takes more creativity, more thought and more emotion to do jazz. Heavy metal, the predominant emotion is anger/hate and thats a pretty easy one to channel onto drums. jazz is hard. watch Buddy Rich and then watch, lets say, Chris Adler, and tell me which one is going to be one helluva lot harder to figure out, let alone play. I just saw a video of Buddy the other day and I was in SHOCK!

Ok first of all, BR is more than just a Jazz drummer. Most drummers cant play a lot of BR's stuff. Secondly, Chris Adler isn't a very good example of a good metal drummer.
Kris
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm primarily a rock/metal drummer , but in all my years of playing , hands down....Jazz is harder. Those guys do some wicked bad ass polyrythmic stuff that I don't care how bad ass fast you are....still doesn't compete...and the worst part is most of them make it look easy! especially the old dudes! It makes me sick!
Be Strong to Endure - Endure to be Strong !
www.krisardolino.com
http://www.myspace.com/krisardolino
smokey689
new
new

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:41 am

jazz is harder to count. youre usuing triplets. metal is straight
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 am

PatternsInTheIvy wrote:
Gretschman1 wrote:Try getting the average metal drummer to play "La Fiesta" or "Spain" by Chick Corea. It would be extremely difficult for them to play a latin samba with any kind of authenticity, on the other hand. Most latin drummers I know could play a passable version of just about any metal song.

Right...like you couldn't just do a basic a samba shuffle that takes nearly no effort to learn, and it wouldn't sound "passable."

i wouldnt say a samba shuffle takes nearly no effort to learn to play. especially when you consider all the possibilities when applying it to the drum set.
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:06 am

vincemie wrote:
PatternsInTheIvy wrote:

i wouldnt say a samba shuffle takes nearly no effort to learn to play. especially when you consider all the possibilities when applying it to the drum set.

Well, you wouldn't say that the average metal drummer can't play anything latin while the average latin player can play any metal song, 'cause that would be pretty stupid assertion
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:08 am

Kris wrote:I'm primarily a rock/metal drummer , but in all my years of playing , hands down....Jazz is harder. Those guys do some wicked bad ass polyrythmic stuff that I don't care how bad ass fast you are....still doesn't compete...and the worst part is most of them make it look easy! especially the old dudes! It makes me sick!

Yeah because there isn't any polyrythms in metal or anything, it's just guys playing fast :roll:
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:04 pm

Empyrean Drums wrote:
vincemie wrote:
PatternsInTheIvy wrote:

Well, you wouldn't say that the average metal drummer can't play anything latin while the average latin player can play any metal song, 'cause that would be pretty stupid assertion

i wouldnt say the average metal drummer couldnt play anything latin.
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:35 am

Jazz requires a totally different approach to independence, particularly latin Jazz. If a metal drummer is classically trained in Jazz first. He would be a better metal player. It would make him more creative and more melodic in his playing capabilities.
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Paiste and Sabian Cymbals
http://www.easystreetband.biz
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:49 am

yeah, but there's varying levels of complexity and difficulty within both styles. trying to establish these blanket categories of "metal" and "jazz" and force a bunch of highly different points of view into them for some sort of objective competition just doesn't work.

playing a cocktail lounge gig, while presenting its own set of challenges (dynamics, some brushwork), presents nowhere near the technical challenge of playing some really crazy prog-metal, and playing something like saxon, sabbath or old priest tunes(don't get me wrong I LOVE that stuff LOVE LOVE) presents nowhere near the technical challenge of playing something like what tony did with miles in the 60's.

this whole crapping match of "what's more difficult to play" is pretty moronic anyway. playing anything well takes craft.