Metal Drummers vs. Jazz Drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

What style of music do you think is harder to play?

Jazz
74%
Metal
26%

Total votes: 104
amontholdDrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:24 am

Wow.. metal versus jazz.. its music .. music is great.. im more so a jazz/funk drummer so jazz in my opinion.. i dont really find metal drumming to appealing.. something else you have to do to be a good jazz drummer.. READ.. you cant call your self a jazz drummer if you cant read music.. its not possible.. you might be able to throw out some swing or a bossa.. but if you cant hit the points of interest in the song.. the song dies.. the improvization skills in jazz.. its much more then just drumming.. its something you really have to be tasteful with.. if you cant do that.. the song loses flavor and color and the drummer can kill a song with out really knowing it.. i guess i sorta broke it down a bit.. but yeah JAZZ over metal...
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:26 am

amontholdDrums wrote:Wow.. metal versus jazz.. its music .. music is great.. im more so a jazz/funk drummer so jazz in my opinion.. i dont really find metal drumming to appealing.. something else you have to do to be a good jazz drummer.. READ.. you cant call your self a jazz drummer if you cant read music.. its not possible.. you might be able to throw out some swing or a bossa.. but if you cant hit the points of interest in the song.. the song dies.. the improvization skills in jazz.. its much more then just drumming.. its something you really have to be tasteful with.. if you cant do that.. the song loses flavor and color and the drummer can kill a song with out really knowing it.. i guess i sorta broke it down a bit.. but yeah JAZZ over metal...

Buddy couldn't read. Nor can Paul Motian.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:01 am

both can be hard. but in general jazz is more tricky. there are far less jazz players now too.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
RetardeDrummer666
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:06 am

I chose metal thinking of fast double bass and how difficult it is. i don't really listen to jazz, so I really have no say. But, Heavy metal seem quite challenging to me. I have never really herd a really good jazz song when the drummer just blows my mind, and I don't listen to jazz, so I might not...
BlastBeaterX
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:25 am

Being a multi genre drummer myself I would actually say both music styles can be pretty hard or pretty easy depending on what style of jazz or metal you're playing. Like the guy with the brutal deathmetal post, that is probably one of the most extreme genres to play and requires alot of physical training. Flo mounier himself incorporates Latin jazz into alot of Cryptopsy's music, if you havn't you owe yourself to check him out he's amazing.

oh and I'm new to the boards, nice to meet all the new drummers here!
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:29 am

BlastBeaterX wrote: Flo mounier himself incorporates Latin jazz into alot of Cryptopsy's music, if you havn't you owe yourself to check him out he's amazing.

Nice to meet you. Can you recomend a specific album for me to buy? I'm very interested in checking this out and would like to buy the best example.

Cheers. Dale

- Papa Jo Jones
BlastBeaterX
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:54 am

Dale wrote:
BlastBeaterX wrote: Flo mounier himself incorporates Latin jazz into alot of Cryptopsy's music, if you havn't you owe yourself to check him out he's amazing.

Nice to meet you. Can you recomend a specific album for me to buy? I'm very interested in checking this out and would like to buy the best example.

Cheers. Dale

The band went through many changes from Deathgrind, to straight up hardcore, then back to Deathmetal. Check out these albums; None so vile, whisper supremacy, and once was not.

Cheers!
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:58 am

BlastBeaterX wrote:
Dale wrote:

Cheers. Dale

The band went through many changes from Deathgrind, to straight up hardcore, then back to Deathmetal. Check out these albums; None so vile, whisper supremacy, and once was not.

Cheers!

Will do. Many many thanks.

- Papa Jo Jones
writheindecay
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:14 pm

strokelahoma wrote: great of a drummer and I can play metal with no problem so I would say in general dificulty Jazz is an easy win :wink:

oh cool, so youll have no porblems keeping up with the song "lashed to the slave stick" by nile?
undersiege
new
new

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:54 pm

the way I see it, you have to consider the fact that drumming began in the jazz style, and for that reason, it has more time to develop as a set of techniques. Metal takes a different approach to the sound that is being produced on the drum set. Both styles have their completely inspired moments, as well as moments when it just sounds strange. I personally prefer jazz, though I honestly can't play either very well. :roll:
rms500watt
new
new

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:08 pm

MaxDrummr1 wrote:Any Jazz player can play metal..but not all metal players can play jazz

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (max is a funny guy, he said it out of his humourous side)

since that's out of the way...

I'd have to say this whole 'debate' is flawed just because we all can't honestly say we've listened to all the Same music and/or played the same music. which means our experience, with both of the genres, are at different levels.

Just tell me if you guys can agree with me on this...

Both Jazz and Metal Drumming are extreme in their own ways.

:?:

side note also..
I'd like to say that, I enjoy both styles of drumming very much, because i feel those are the two genres where drummers give it their most.. physically and mentally.
The Freq
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:55 pm

Pretty easy choice for me.. Jazz is more difficult. Metal is relatively new compared to Jazz. You have to understand that jazz music has been around for many decades so there is a wider catalog of styles jazz drumming has evolved from which means more to learn. One thing I've noticed is that Jazz players can pretty much play any other style of music where the same can't be said for metal drummers. All has a place in music history and there are great players in each but again jazz is the toughy here and why it's taught in most university music programs.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:16 pm

nestee99 wrote:I do not play metal but that's by choice. Metal is a genre of music that can't really be motified. Metal is one way and one way only. In Jazz, you can be creative and expressive with the music. You can take a song and change it any way and it can still be considered jazz. Once you change the fast, constant beat of metal, it becomes something totally different. Its just not as free and fun like Jazz is.

i dont really agree with this... metal may not be as wide spread as jazz, but if u are creative enough, u can make a metal drum beat sound totally uniqe
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
drummachine
new
new

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:08 pm

I appreciate other styles of music now that I am older. When I was a young drummer it was all about Slayer, Sepultura, etc. and other metal bands such as them. Everyone has their own opinion. I have to disagree with the comment saying that any jazz drummer can play metal. They are very different styles.

There is not one style for metal. I'm sorry but that's a stereotype. There are many genres and subgenres. There is a underground metal scene with very talented musicians. I am into a lot of technical type metal. Anyone ever heard of Martyr, Death, Extol, Opeth, Darkane, Symphony X, etc? All these bands have different styles but there all in the metal genre. Peter Wildoer from Darkane is a metal drummer but also teaches music at a school. He plays some very complex / odd time grooves. I respect both sides. I have learned a lot from drummers from many genres. I personally believe that metal drummers are not taken as serious because people don't know about the underground music scene. There is a lot more out there than Slipknot, Lamb of God or Shadows Fall or whatever. No offense to them. I am trying to not be so close minded. The same as jazz as well. There are drummers that are a lot better than Steve Gadd or Neil Peart. I personally believe Thomas Lang is one of the best drummers I have seen.
Ajax4
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:56 pm

i would say they are both equally hard at times.
i can get through a set with a big band, but i'd struggle to play a perfect set with lamb of god. Chris Adler is one of the most creativedrummers about, not just "fast and loud"