Metal Drummers vs. Jazz Drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

What style of music do you think is harder to play?

Jazz
74%
Metal
26%

Total votes: 104
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:33 am

Alan_ wrote:yeah, but there's varying levels of complexity and difficulty within both styles. trying to establish these blanket categories of "metal" and "jazz" and force a bunch of highly different points of view into them for some sort of objective competition just doesn't work.

playing a cocktail lounge gig, while presenting its own set of challenges (dynamics, some brushwork), presents nowhere near the technical challenge of playing some really crazy prog-metal, and playing something like saxon, sabbath or old priest tunes(don't get me wrong I LOVE that stuff LOVE LOVE) presents nowhere near the technical challenge of playing something like what tony did with miles in the 60's.

this whole crapping match of "what's more difficult to play" is pretty moronic anyway. playing anything well takes craft.

Exactly. :)
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Kevinator
new
new

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:38 pm

They're really too difficult to compare effectively. Metal is harder in the sense that theres more of a physical difficulty, or in other words speed and endurance. Jazz is harder when it comes to technicality and groove.

One thing I find is that because of the nature of the genre you can learn a metal song fairly quickly, but once you learn it it's still going to be as physically demanding, depending on the length, and speed of the song. With jazz, the grooves tend to take a long time to learn, but once you've got them into your head and manage to keep them there it'll go a lot easier.

In other words: Metal = simplistic but demanding Jazz = grooves are hard to learn but not so bad once you get used to em
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:11 am

Mitchell? wrote:
Alan_ wrote:yeah, but there's varying levels of complexity and difficulty within both styles. trying to establish these blanket categories of "metal" and "jazz" and force a bunch of highly different points of view into them for some sort of objective competition just doesn't work.

playing a cocktail lounge gig, while presenting its own set of challenges (dynamics, some brushwork), presents nowhere near the technical challenge of playing some really crazy prog-metal, and playing something like saxon, sabbath or old priest tunes(don't get me wrong I LOVE that stuff LOVE LOVE) presents nowhere near the technical challenge of playing something like what tony did with miles in the 60's.

this whole crapping match of "what's more difficult to play" is pretty moronic anyway. playing anything well takes craft.

Exactly. :)

Exactly +1
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:55 am

Wise observation, nuff said!
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Paiste and Sabian Cymbals
http://www.easystreetband.biz
Raging Moon
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Jazz drummer plays 25 drums for 3 people, a metal/Rock and Roll drummer plays 3 drums for 25 people.
Terry Sherwood

"They were all geared towards thinking that it was better to be a noble failure than a vulgar success. It meant you were not afraid to break rules."

Malcolm McLaren on Art schools

Music stuff
http://www.myspace.com/relevantnoise
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:20 pm

I'm pretty well versed at Jazz and Latin, I can play funk pretty well too... poly rythms... no worries... Classic rock, a walk in the park.

Metal is a BITCH to play well! It takes a LOT of stamina and serious chops with your feet. The hands in metal are as easy as it gets, in my opinion, but getting everything happening at once in metal is damn hard, and requires a LOT of dedication to do well.

I can sight-read my way through Chick Corea's "Spain" or "LaFiesta", I've actually had to do that on a gig before.... I can't play 8 bars of metal without looking like a complete poser. Yes, Jazz requires finesse and creativity, but METAL, for me, is hands down much harder to play authentically.

Just my 2 cents coming from a guy that has played more jazz gigs than most of the guys on here. Metal players deserve all the props they can get!
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:52 am

yeah, I've started working on getting my metal chops back after playing more mellow fare for several years, and it hasn't exactly been a walk in the park. I can "feel the burn" after practicing double bass, that's for sure.

some of the younger metal players I've heard in the last few years knock my socks off. I have to thank doseone and iatemygoat for renewing my interest in playing double bass and blast beats. I've practiced more in the last few months than I had in quite some time, and it's not only improving my drumming, but getting me into better shape. I remember several times in the late 90's when I played two or more hour-long metal/grindcore sets back to back in one evening without even feeling tired. I want that kind of stamina and speed back.