What Ride Cymbal should I Get

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

drummer101
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:57 pm

Right so its almost christmas and im allowed to get a new ride from the man in red. There arent really any places where i can try out lots of rides with my kit so Im coming here. I play mainly metal music but I would like a ride that can sound ok in any style should I need to play something else. Im currently using sabian AAX stage cymbals and it would most likely be sabian I would be after but any ideas on what ride would suit me?
screamkevin

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:32 pm

Well, first off, don't worry about brand names. Play what sounds best for you. If you mix and match your brands, you'll get the best of all brands!

However, if you're looking for something from Sabian that is good for all styles (but espeically metal), then you really can't go wrong with the Sabian AA 20" Rock Ride. It's got a good, distinct sound, lots of wash, lots of ping, a focused bell, and a lot of different colors for different types of music. I'd also give you a nudge towards the Sabian AAX 22" Metal Ride and the Sabian AA 22" Metal-X Ride.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
sirdrumalot
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:33 pm

those are good if you want it to resinate through a whole song. try a a custom 20 if you want an all aorund cymbal that you can play different styles. i use a k custom dark ride its awsome cause you can get multiple tones out of it
drummer101
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:22 am

I was looking into both the HH raw bell dry ride and the HH leopard, personally I liked the sound of the leopard for its stick definition but i like the moody sounds from the raw bell. Anyone here any experience of either ride and whether they might suit me?
inidigigen
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:32 am

I've got a sabian 20' B8Pro medium ride that I use sometimes when there is metal in the pipe. I've had it for many years and I think it's a great one for a low price. But I wouldn't say it's what you're looking for but I believe it would match your AAXs'.

Oh, I don't know. If you want that "pling-pling" sound or a more exclusive sound, this is not the one. I don’t know again, but I wouldn’t tell you to get an expensive ride you have not even heard.

To come to an end, you should listen to an instrument before you buy it.
King J
new
new

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:32 am

I would never buy a cymbal I didn't hear and play (feel) myself... I also take my other cymbals with me when I go hunting for other cymbal stuff, wether it's a new ride or new hats or whatever (Wuhan china's always work though, haha).

Apperently you're not in that kind of a position. So I recommend the following. You should go for the 22" Zildjian K Custom Ride. Very musical and loud bell (so also for metal purposes), complex shimering blade and very versitale. But if you wanna stick to Sabian, the 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride is very nice (great stickdefinintion but I don't like the bell that much...the K Custom sounds way beyond that).
Hail to da King, baby!!!
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:15 am

i have an hh raw bell dry ride and i really cherish that cymbal. at first its a little on the quiet side but it opens up once youve played it a while. if you play it toward the edge you get a really dark, washy sound and if you play it more on the bow then you get a brighter, pingier tone. the bell is a beast on this cymbal and its become one of my favorte accent pieces in music, but its not so loud and overpowering that it drowns everything else. with the bell you can get a soft ping playing with the tip and a monstrous zil bel or ice bell sound playing with the shaft.

the cons of this cymbal are that it is very heavy (probably 6 lbs, maybe?) and it is a not a ride that you can crash on. as for me, ive never really had the urge to crash my ride so i dont find that a problem.

i do suggest that you get this cymbal. its better than the leopard ride because it doesnt have nearly the amount of wash. i also play a lot of metal (mostly prog, power, and thrash) and it has never let me down. it will be a big change from the aax ride because it is much heavier but i think it sounds better than any other ride ive ever played.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Drum-Elk
new
new

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:58 am

Did you ever heard about "masterwork" cymbals? They're a little bit cheaper than Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste.... but good sounding as well. So if you ever can check them out..... http://www.masterworkcymbal.com/
manicdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:10 am

I am particularly partial to a 20" Sabian Hand Hammered Vintage. It has a great bell sound, and doesn't start to 'ride up' and take over when I play anything fast.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first
create the universe."

-- Carl Sagan
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:53 pm

manicdrums wrote:I am particularly partial to a 20" Sabian Hand Hammered Vintage. It has a great bell sound, and doesn't start to 'ride up' and take over when I play anything fast.
AWESOME CYMBAL!!!! :shock:
It's next on my list....I have a 21" AA rock ride w/ HH bell,very good for rock/metal applications :idea:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:39 pm

I know you seem to be a Sabian guy... but I wouldnt trade my 22" Custom A Ping ride for any cymbal in the world.
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:50 am

The Heel wrote:I know you seem to be a Sabian guy... but I wouldnt trade my 22" Custom A Ping ride for any cymbal in the world.
Yes,I am a Sabian guy 100%....but,the A custom pinger is bad-ass(if you dig Zildjian :)
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
HokkaidoJDM
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:36 am

Mmm... even though I swear by Zildjian, the HH Leopard Ride is BEAUTIFUL. :]

If you're willing to go Z though, I can't praise the 21" Avedis Sweet Ride enough! Good bell, and a versatile cymbal in general.
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Sun May 27, 2007 3:12 pm

i would recommnd the 22' A-custom ping ride
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Tue May 29, 2007 4:13 am

22" or 20" Paiste Signature Power Rides!!! SOUND GORGEOUS!!!
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.