Thomas Lang

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

mink
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:11 pm

Is it just me or is that video seriously seriously lagging?
peripsy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:35 am

m wrote:
Qbs wrote:I don't have anything against multi-pedal orchestrations except for the fact that my only pedals are my hi-hat and my twin kick drum :)

in the DVD he says it's OK if you don't have as many pedals as him, you can still learn the technique with only 7 or 8 pedals.

then he laughs
most can be adapted to fewer.

he plays with 4 pedals usually but you can do the same with two...hi-hat and bass drum just try.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:54 am

i saw him semi-recently at a lng island drum center clinic. he was playing with about 7 pedals. a third of the clinic was him whoring roland products. a third was him playing along to some extremely cheesy music ( i dont remember what band it was) that was very cold. and a third was him just playing drums which was the best drumming i'v ever seen in person hands down. then he answered some questions. all in all not a great clinic. but holy shit he is without a doubt one of the best drummers in the world
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:50 am

phenominal
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
Atmerrill
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:24 pm

Not impressed....he can stop now. When you have to create music to fit your drum solos, you know you've gone too far. I'd be more impressed if he would learn how to keep time and play in a band. That's where your "technique" is really tested: "Can you be creative in a musical context with others?"
Alden Merrill

Slingerland and Ford Drums, Zildjian Cymbals,
Aquarian Heads, Vater and Vic Firth Sticks
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:37 am

Atmerrill wrote:Not impressed....he can stop now. When you have to create music to fit your drum solos, you know you've gone too far. I'd be more impressed if he would learn how to keep time and play in a band. That's where your "technique" is really tested: "Can you be creative in a musical context with others?"

two words " jump seat "

prime example, and the man is a master of keeping time.

he gets paid to play drum solos at clinics , he has to set a level of skill and be different everytime, i cudnt even imagine wot he plays , let alone play it.
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:47 am

Atmerrill wrote:Not impressed....he can stop now. When you have to create music to fit your drum solos, you know you've gone too far. I'd be more impressed if he would learn how to keep time and play in a band. That's where your "technique" is really tested: "Can you be creative in a musical context with others?"

Chances are, most days you switch on the radio, you'll hear Mr Lang playing time spot on for any number of 'mainstream/popular' acts. FYI; one of the q's on his last UK tour was; "What are your favourite beats?" He demonstrated playing an old Jackson 5 song and an AC/DC track.
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:52 am

From a drumming point of view, I just love the sheer impressiveness of his technique and some of his songs like the afforementiond "Jump Seat" are awesome fun to watch!

Fair enough you probably won't have to play MPO's ever on stage with a band, but why not for fun?

If you practice the Matrix with propper techinique, your skill level will increase immensely and that WILL serve you on stage in some way, so it's not like practicing it is pointlless.

Plus, he's a nice guy! I mailed him and his reply couldn't have been nicer.
Atmerrill
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:08 am

To Mike, Rob and Phil: I'll try to check-out "Junp Seat" and any other commercial work of his. Know he does the drum clinic circles and does have to have a special "bag a tricks" for those situations. Best regards,
Alden Merrill

Lancelot Frosty
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:43 am

Ah yes.
Lang was one of my first favorites.
Original Frosty.
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:48 am

Atmerrill wrote:To Mike, Rob and Phil: I'll try to check-out "Junp Seat" and any other commercial work of his. Know he does the drum clinic circles and does have to have a special "bag a tricks" for those situations. Best regards,

finaly someone whos not cocky on this forum
Atmerrill
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:57 pm

phil-drummer wrote:
Atmerrill wrote:To Mike, Rob and Phil: I'll try to check-out "Junp Seat" and any other commercial work of his. Know he does the drum clinic circles and does have to have a special "bag a tricks" for those situations. Best regards,

finaly someone whos not cocky on this forum

Thanks...do my best :wink:
Alden Merrill

rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:17 am

Lang has taken the multi-pedal, polyrhythmic approach further than anyone else to this point. A real monster.

I also like the clarity of his explanations on th DVD's. He almost makes it sound as if we could all play this stuff one day!
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:06 am

rlrrll wrote:Lang has taken the multi-pedal, polyrhythmic approach further than anyone else to this point. A real monster.

I also like the clarity of his explanations on th DVD's. He almost makes it sound as if we could all play this stuff one day!

hopefully some of us will ,
drumschick07
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:43 pm

Thomas Lang is a phenominal drummer. Period. Everyone should get both his videos. you learn a lot.
FrKn LoUd