When did they start adding inked logos onto cymbals?

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

kenny.drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:22 am

Basically, I have no idea about when cymbal companies started this, and I thought it would be nice to find out finally. :)

Also - did this stem from inked cymbals only go to compensated endorsers?

kenny
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:01 pm

Looking at music videos i think it happened in the early 80s maybe. but I really have no idea though.
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:12 pm

do you think there's an advantage to inked logos???? Maybe it's just cost effective
SINISTER
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:04 pm

dwtoast72 wrote:do you think there's an advantage to inked logos???? Maybe it's just cost effective

Obviously for marketing purposes.....duh!
galgano16
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:24 am

b4 the companies started doin the ink thing, did u notice how cheap and shitty lookin cymbals from the early days used 2 look b4 that, but they werent?
Ignorance is a clear indication of a severe lack of intelligence-me
METAL 4EVER!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/ngkillsu
http://www.myspace.com/zombiesforgore
http://www.myspace.com/deception102
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:09 pm

I can remember that the early Zildjian logos were outlines instead of solid
You say irritant, I say catalyst
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:33 pm

Rockula! wrote:I can remember that the early Zildjian logos were outlines instead of solid

This is known as the "hollow" logo and it was inked onto Zildjian cymbals in the 1970s as a very effective marketing tool as magazines such as DownBeat were very popular and Modern Drummer was just coming into being. Then MTV burst onto the scene and - boom - logos everywhere!
SGarrett

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:53 pm

skitch wrote:
Rockula! wrote:I can remember that the early Zildjian logos were outlines instead of solid

This is known as the "hollow" logo and it was inked onto Zildjian cymbals in the 1970s as a very effective marketing tool as magazines such as DownBeat were very popular and Modern Drummer was just coming into being. Then MTV burst onto the scene and - boom - logos everywhere!

Yep. Logos are a marketing tool. You see the name swinging around your favorite drummer's kit and the standardization of lines did away with the need for picking cymbals based on weight. "I want a XX gram ride" turned into "I want a Rock Ride" or "I want a XX gram crash" into "I want Fast Studio Crash".
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:30 pm

SGarrett wrote:
skitch wrote:

Yep. Logos are a marketing tool. You see the name swinging around your favorite drummer's kit and the standardization of lines did away with the need for picking cymbals based on weight. "I want a XX gram ride" turned into "I want a Rock Ride" or "I want a XX gram crash" into "I want Fast Studio Crash".

And then Yamaha added red and yellow to the recording custom line up. You then saw them everywhere.