Bass Drum Sub-Woofer

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dennismoody
new
new

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Daneman wrote:With the right combination of heads, tuning, muffling (or lack of) and EQing, there's nothing a subkick does that I haven't been able to coax out of my 14x20 kick.
I have to agree with Daneman here... there is nothing you can't do IF your drum sounds great to begin with. DM
Record production and Audio engineering
www.dennismoody.com
www.MySpace.com/dennismoody
brandon8robinson
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

Yeah the subwoofers really change the feel of the kick, but they're more advanced than pillows..
I got it from uh, the get wet shop!
Eiren
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:06 am

Are people talking about three total separate things on here?

Bass drum woofers are extensions that you bolt onto your bass drum to change the dynamics of your bass drum sounds:

Like so

A subkick is a microphone made by Yamaha, that picks up the bass drum sound to send off for processing.

A subwoofer is a speaker that only outputs the low bass frequencies of sound.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:12 pm

Ahhhhhh
So THAT"S what they mean by "double bass'
HAR HAR HAR
You say irritant, I say catalyst
James_85
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:59 pm

did sum1 say sumthin about using a speaker as a mic? i no ther similar in principle but wont a speaker be harder to excite frm the cone and then not rele make any kinda signal? n if it does wudent it b all distorted? has any1 tried it?
http://www.myspace.com/james_is_gr8
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:30 pm

James_85 wrote:did sum1 say sumthin about using a speaker as a mic? i no ther similar in principle but wont a speaker be harder to excite frm the cone and then not rele make any kinda signal? n if it does wudent it b all distorted? has any1 tried it?

yes, plenty of folks have tried it, and there's a particular Yamaha product that is exactly that.
I've made my own before (didn't mount it in a drum shell like Yammy does though) and have used headphones for the same application.

works fine.
genx3117
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:22 pm

honestly, ive played with a woofer, its a waste of money and a pain in the butt to handle. the only noticeable difference is when you mic it up, otherwise, it just takes space. ive never used the yammie before, but i know alot of people who have and say they like it.
Endorsing Pro-Mark Sticks And Accessories
Playing on:
Tama Drums
Remo Drum Heads
Tama Hardware
Latin Percussion
Zildjian Cymbals
Howepirate

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:16 am

Do you guys know who Tony Royster JR. is because if you dont your sheltered and need to learn a thing or 2.

He uses woofers on his DW kit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fIUTWT_gP1k
Daneman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:16 am

Howepirate wrote:Do you guys know who Tony Royster JR. is because if you dont your sheltered and need to learn a thing or 2.

No offense, but Tony Royster isn't going to make me buy woofers for my kit. As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone would. Like I said before, there's nothing a woofer does that proper combination of heads, tuning, muffling (or lack of), and EQing can't do.

Watching that video clip on confirms this more- it's not like his kick sounds that much different....

Bono
Howepirate

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:51 pm

Daneman wrote:
Howepirate wrote:Do you guys know who Tony Royster JR. is because if you dont your sheltered and need to learn a thing or 2.

No offense, but Tony Royster isn't going to make me buy woofers for my kit. As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone would. Like I said before, there's nothing a woofer does that proper combination of heads, tuning, muffling (or lack of), and EQing can't do.

Watching that video clip on confirms this more- it's not like his kick sounds that much different....

Bono

Oh and what kind of poor audio system are you using on your computer
Daneman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:37 pm

[quote="Howepirate

Oh and what kind of poor audio system are you using on your computer[/quote]

The technique is great, I'm not debating that. But the subwoofer does absolutely nothing to improve the sound. There's nothing going on there that you can't get out of some solid mics and a top end soundboard/PA system (having played in more than a few 1,800 person theatres I'm pretty sure I know a thing or two about this).

Bono