Which double bass pedal for $300?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:40 am

There is also Pearl P-1002 which is really close to elims and cheaper at the same time. Check it!
dim my eyes if they should compromise
luretimmy
new
new

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:21 pm

I would save your money and go with a dw 5000 or 9000. It will be worth it!
Doom Doom Black
Xybalba
new
new

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:04 am

well...i've used boyh the DW's and THe Iron Cobra,...and i gotta tell you that at first i hated the IC because i felt it was soooo heavy and i didn't had th feel of the DW...but after a few adjustments,...i couldn't be happier, ( this was all before it was stolen at a gig...)

now i cry over it when i think about it...
GuRu
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:48 am

I like this 'heavy' feel at Cobras. In the fact, it's not so heavy. Pedals works perfectly light but IC demands a bigger amount of an initial power to move it.
.no1 is innocent.
tamadrumboy
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:53 am

TAMA Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Bass Drum Pedal (HP900PTW)
Saturday, October 14th @ Desiderio's w/ "Vertigo".
Nicholas Plant
http://www.nicholasdrums.com
http://www.myspace.com/nicholasplant
draconic
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:38 am

i've played on pretty much every pedal on the market, and i have to say that beside axis and dw 9000 which are out of the price range, pearl eliminator (i own one myself) beats dw 5000s and iron cobra to death. i've personally broke a dw 5000 footboard and had quite a few problems with the adjustments on a cobra. pearl rulez!
life is good
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:00 pm

They ALL can be adjusted to feel either light or heavy. Some are just easier to adjust than others.

I always figured it was called "Drum Workshop" because the stuff was so unreliable that they just named it after the place they would end up anyway 8)

I've had nothing but trouble with DW pedals. I've never owned an IC, but I've played 'em and they seem to be built about the same as DW. They are both retooled versions of the old Camco pedals from the late 60's.

If you can't afford Trick or Axis, the Pearls and Janus pedals seem to be the next best constructed.
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:44 am

I hate the janus, I've play them on many a time and I always feel like I could play faster if I just got a decent single pedal and did everything with my right foot, they might work for you but for me the pedal is built in a way that is really awkward to play.
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:42 am

zen_drummer wrote:I always figured it was called "Drum Workshop" because the stuff was so unreliable that they just named it after the place they would end up anyway 8)

:D i liked tht :lol:
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Rockaflodge
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:39 am

Well, I must say that I enjoyed playing Janus. It's sturdy, maybe a bit too heavy for my taste. Have you tried Pearl Eliminator? I think it is the best pedal available

I have to agree! they are fast and power and I have had mine for 4 years and nothing broke on it yet, so there you go and they are under $300 :D
I Play Hard! I play Loud! I play Pearl!
DaveDWdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:07 am

Save $200 and go with the Vex pro touring double kick. It's better then my DW 5002!
Stimpy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:22 am

I have got an active peddle. It cost me £83 (yes i got it when i was just starting double bass and i had almost no money). I ahve had this peddle for about 2 years and it is finally fucked, time to get a new one. But while it was in working order it was an awsome peddle. It was so easy to use, u use next to no effort when using it, unlike other peddles where u have to use ur whole leg just to try n hit the thing.
zerodogma
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:37 pm

I love my Pearl Eliminator double pedal. Very adjustable, interchangeable cams, sturdy construction, etc... I am on a budget myself and these were the best sub$300 pedals I could find.
Stand back! I have a COWBELL... and I am not afraid to use it.........
Saluda Cymbals - B20 never sounded so good...
jbreshears
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:44 pm

I love my iron cobra's, besides the axis long boards and the trick pedals they are the best in my book
Always question reality
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:52 pm

For my foot size I don't like the mapex, they seem waaay to short and to high off the ground so I can only play heel up on them and then they feel really slender and I have a hard time getting any power out of them. If you have small feet maybe they will work for you but they just don't suit me at all. I've never really met any pedal that I didn't feel with some tension adjusting would at least be passable except the Mapex pedals.
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche