Does size really matter when it comes to drumming?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

nv1bddrmmr
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:14 am

Its all about preference PERIOD.
As they say some guitar players can give a good licking but every drummer can give a good banging
www.hafded.com
Flatliner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:47 pm

I like small kits for jazz and funk, and big kits for most everything else. Its my theory that small kit jazz drummers started the war when they saw all the attention the big kit rock drummers were playing. Why can't we get along? I wanna see a drumset duet along the lines of terry bozzio and tony williams.
Marki777
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:13 am

I have both. The set I use will depend on, 1, the size of the stage, 2, the size of the room, 3, am I being miked up and what is needed for the music im playing. I really dont have a consistant size kit. I just bought a bunch of different size drums and I pick and choose what I feel I need for that paticular gig. I do alot of jazz fusion type stuff as well as pop tunes. All with different musicians in various situations.
Cymbals are the same way. Am I doing a classic rock type gig with loud bass and guitar amps or more of an jazz gig with horns and acoustic bass? The music and the other instruments will pretty much determine how big a kit and the size of the drums I bring to any gig. Its really fun this way, keeps me on my toes and thus keeps the music fresh. Little kits can sound amazing.
Ive shown up to gig with an 18" kik a 5x10 snare and 8 and 10 inch toms and im 270 lbs....kinda funny lookin, 270 lb drummer and this lil tiny kit.... I do need to geta pair of 12" hats and a 24" kik drum thou.....
drum man
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:28 pm

it all depends on what you are playing. if your gona play jazz, rock, hardcore, or classic then go with the 2 toms (rack, and floor) if your playing metal then go with more toms. and same with double pedles just use them if you need them.
but seeing thats all you have thats obviouly all you want so thats your choice not your freinds.
i like the simply 2 toms and a double bass pedle.
oh and cymble same thing.
Multibomber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:08 am

I play an 8pc, (8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 13x10, 14x15, 22x16, 22x18, 5.5x13) and I have about 10 cymbals. Sometimes I only bring half the drums and 3 cymbals when I am feeling minimalistic. But when I bring the whole thing (only takes 15 minutes to set up, thanks to memory locks) a lot of times other musicians will scoff at it while listeners will be mesmorized by it.

Basically my druming philosophy is keep the simple parts ultra simple and make the spicy parts spicy as can be. Just havign the 2 different size kicks makes a HUGE difference in how your fills sound. Any hand/foot combo you do will sound like you're playing with 8 arms thanks to the different tone between the kicks. But I have no problem bringing less that half my kit with me to a show. Its just another way I can change it up and that only makes me a better drummer.
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:11 am

someone said something about if you have a 3 pc kit you play shorter and sweeter fills. yeah true shorter yes true may be sweeter. but then again if you have a big kit. you have more to choose from, just because you have a 9pc kit doesnt mean you have to use all of it in a fill.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
peripsy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:47 am

Big issue for drummers... Let's put them down right now.Your set up depends only from the kind of music you are playing ,It's simple.Metal drummers use double bass and 4 toms because they use many hand and feet combinations.I can tell you many examples but it's not our issue.You can make many combinations with some stuff such as a second hi-hat or a left foot cowbell pedal .I am negative just to built a huge kit just to see it.I have many examples in my mind but i also admire guys like terry bozzio or akira jimbo.I think tha jojo mayer is a GOD with his 4 piece set also i don't have problem with the set only with the drummer and the way it uses it.For example i think that mike portnoy is a great musician but he doesn't use 100% of his set.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:41 am

those ppl who told you you need a bigger kit are just that. idiots. if you ever stop and think "I want a bigger drumset" thats when you need a bigger kit
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Toad
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:57 am

I have to go along with the consensus size does not matter. It's all in the musicians skill. I've seen drummers on small kits do things that guys on large kits can't do and vice versa. The only time size matters is if your an NFL lineman. Play the way and on whatever you are comfortable with.
WE NEED MORE COWBELL!!!!
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:49 am

i played in a progressive rock band with my old four-piece and a few cymbals (hi-hat, crash, crash, ride, splash). i finally saved up to add on to my kit and i play funk. it's all about preference, man. a good drummer can handle himself on any kit because he knows that the number of drums and cymbals can't affect the sound he gets out of it.
Beat on.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:11 am

Personal taste, that's about it.

If you want lots of different drum pitches and cymbal sounds at your disposal, you're gonna need a bigger kit. If you don't what that, you don't need them.

There is nothing more "right" or "correct" about Terry Bozzio's monstrosity than there is about Ringo Starr's little 4 piece he played for years and years.

Both are masters at what they do, and I think a huge part of that is knowing exactly what they WANT to achieve, and knowing what they NEED on their kits to do that. Put those two together, and you'll be absolutely fine. :)
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Dusteroo
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:30 am

Vetis wrote:Ok...I am one of those Idiots who has a big kit and enjoys it. I find it to be alot more fun when i can do the same sort of fill, but with different sounds coming from my kit instead of the same 2 or 3 sounds.

So...*shrugs* it's all a matter of how you see it.

That's how I see it too..

It all comes down to what you make of it ~ resourcefulness. I've been very happy about playing my friends' kits that have only a four-piece with 2-3 cymbals.. It's ideal for certain genres.

I've known from the get-go that it's a great way to test a drummer's resourcefulness and self-discipline to see how much they can learn about making more with less ~ and when one upgrades to a larger kit, it's even better... That's what defines me as a drummer; i now use 4-5 toms and stack multiple cymbals.
I can get more tunes out of my current kit, than a piano.
TomTFD
new
new

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:35 am

i USED to be one of those people who were like "Wow! That kit is massive, it must be amazing!....that kit is small, must be a bit crappy"
Thank God i've matured enough now drumming wise to know that all that size stuff is rubbish lol
I used to only play with the 2 rack toms, and the floor, and find it really awkward to play with just the one rack tom.

Recently i've PREFERRED to play with just the one rack tom, as i find it so much easy to manage and play fills with rather then having way too many toms necessary! haha
gretsch4life
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:48 am

that just shows you the difference between a drummer and a musician.
scotttyrcha
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:42 pm

Use what you're comfortable with and what you're used to playing! NO SIZE DOES NOT MATTER!
I also use a fairly small kit. In the 80's I used a Ludwig double 26" kicks, 4 rack tom, 2 floor tom and 9 cymbals. Today, I've toned it down considerably. I'll either use a basic 4 pc. kit, single kick, one rack tom, one floor. Adding another floor is the biggest I'll go these days. Use what you like and don't worry what your idiot friends or anybody else thinks for that matter.

ROCK ON!
Just my .2 cents[/i]